GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 2,368
2 members and 2,366 guests
g41965, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-20-2011, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Question UT-Austin Legacy Status now a "hidden field"???

As an Alum, the potential of this intrigues me. As many of you know my daughter is currently going through recruitment at UT. She is not a legacy to any chapter at UT. She did say the counselors said this year that if you are a legacy, that status is only shown to your legacy house. All other chapters would not be given this information. Does anyone know if this is accurate? I see it as a game changer for MS if so...JMO.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2011, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

On ICS at the University of Alabama, that is correct. The chapter can see their own legacies, but nobody else's.
That's why hometown sponsorships are important!
I'm assuming the Panhellenic can set whatever parameters they want on the software.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe this has been the case with ICS for the past few years...but that's not how chapters find out about other chapters' legacies.

Chapters find out via recs, where it may ask if the PNM is a legacy to another chapter. So Kathy Kappa might write on Patty PNM's rec that she is a Zeta legacy. If Patty does not want Kappa to know she is a Zeta legacy, she might politely ask Kathy to omit that information, depending on whether Kathy knows it in the first place.

*Apologies if Kappa's rec form does not ask for legacies of other chapters. Kappa was just an arbitrary example.

Also, if the legacy is a UT collegian's little sister, ICS can't help you there, no matter how much you try to cover your tracks with your recs. People talk.

Last edited by violetpretty; 08-20-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

i don't know if it is currently done, but i remember UCFADPi mentioning that at the University of Central Florida, that the legacy chapter can only see legacies to their sorority on the pnm list.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

As a member of an alumnae reference board we are seeing more and more of a trend where girls are not listing their legacies on their resumes they provide to the reference writer.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
As a member of an alumnae reference board we are seeing more and more of a trend where girls are not listing their legacies on their resumes they provide to the reference writer.
Completely random question (not trying to start poo, just curious):

If you were a ref writer for ABC and a girl did that - i.e. omitted the fact that she is an XYZ legacy on her resume or told you to skip it - how would you feel about that? Would it piss you off or would you understand the reasoning?
Old 08-20-2011, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

This is the 1st year we are really seeing it. Most of our recs come in from alumnae who already know the family well and know the connections, however, we do get a few from teachers, church friends who may or may not know. It's the girl's business what they want to share with us. It's her recruitment not ours.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

33 - I would completely understand. That would fall into "none of their business" as far as I'm concerned. Frankly I think I'd play it safe and leave the legacy info off of everything except the rec from the actual mother/sister. They only need to know it once, right?
Old 08-20-2011, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I would completely understand if a PNM asked me to leave off other legacy connections for her Sigma Kappa rec at a competitive school, ie. Auburn. I wouldn't want my sisters to cut a PNM on the assumption that she would pledge her legacy chapter. Now, if the PNM was a brat who was like "Well I am definitely getting into my legacy chapter..." then I'd list it.

However, at a less competitive school (or a less competitive chapter), her legacy status, even to another chapter that is on campus, could very well be seen an asset. Legacies of any sorority have a certain appeal to every sorority. Assuming the relative is active, the legacy will likely have a better understanding of what she is getting herself into because she's observed her relative's experience. Of course, it is important for the PNM to emphasize she is keeping an open mind. I would bring this up and respect her decision to hide or tell her legacy status.

Last edited by violetpretty; 08-21-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Does it show that a family member was a sorority member, but leaves out which one?

At UT, I think this will be a game changer. If you don't drop your legacy right away you can forget about being asked back by other houses and you better hope your legacy invites you back after second round.

It kept my daughter from being asked to prefs at a house she really loved - not at UT, but at another very competitive school.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
It kept my daughter from being asked to prefs at a house she really loved - not at UT, but at another very competitive school.
How does she know that?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Completely random question (not trying to start poo, just curious):

If you were a ref writer for ABC and a girl did that - i.e. omitted the fact that she is an XYZ legacy on her resume or told you to skip it - how would you feel about that? Would it piss you off or would you understand the reasoning?
I'd tell the chapter anyway!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

I can remember the recruitments of two different sisters who were legacies to another house. We weren't a "high rec" campus, but both of these women told us that they were legacies to another house, but they felt they weren't being treated well at their legacy chapters. The one had TWO sisters currently in her legacy chapter, and really wasn't socially inept or had bad grades or whatever. It was a huge shocker!

Some things just have a way of becoming known.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I just had a very interesting experience with a girl from LSU that might have ran into problems because of her legacies. Of course the sororties my have not liked her who knows.
She was a legacy to A through grandmother but also almost every memeber of her family on Dad's side is an A. Mom was a B. Mom was very involved with B. I honestly think that every sorority at LSU is great but 18 year old girls do have sororities that they think are better. Most PNM's would think that A was much better that B. She was cut by B ( mom and PNM are very upset) She went to pref at A and recieved a bid. Does not really even want to except it. I think she may have been cut because of her history with A, B assumed she would cut them since most girls would. Unfortunetly for this girl I don't think that ws the case. Of course like I said they may have not liked it and it had nothing to do with her legacy !!!!
So instead of a girl being upset about getting a bid to a lower tier sorority she thought she was to good for, she had the opposite experience. We had to force her to go to bid day celebrations and my daughter called and told me she asked her to take her home ( A is my daughters sorority).
Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

how sad. i hope that she will give it a go and realize the opportunity she has been given.