GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,489
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, arobertoyandext
» Online Users: 2,495
0 members and 2,495 guests
No Members online

Old 04-29-2022, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Alcohol, parties banned at EMU fraternity for 10 years

https://www.wxyz.com/news/alcohol-pa...y-for-10-years

Quote:
YPSILANTI, Mich. (WXYZ) — Parties are banned at Delta Tau Delta at Eastern Michigan University for the next 10 years. Thursday, the fraternity reached a settlement with the Washtenaw County’s Prosecutor’s Office and the city of Ypsilanti.

According to the order, alcohol isn’t allowed at any of their properties and gatherings are limited to five guests.
“What we saw with this particular fraternity was a whole host of sexual assaults that were linked to the parties, that were linked to the underage drinking, that were linked frankly to a culture in which there was no bystander intervention even when there was sexually aggressive behavior,” Savit explained.
Under the order, members of the fraternity must do an annual training for “sexual assault prevention, bystander intervention and responsible alcohol consumption.” Also, Delta Tau Delta will be required to raise funds for a nonprofit that helps sexual assault survivors.
If the fraternity doesn’t abide by the order, Savit said there’s the possibility of sanctions and escalating penalties. On the other hand, he said the prosecutor's office has the discretion to shorten that 10-year restriction as it monitors the fraternity's progress.
I want to clarify: for multiple sexual assault allegations with no bystander intervention, the school has allowed them to stay on campus and isn't punishing them in any way, and they made a deal with the prosecutor's office to simply not hold drunken parties at the house?

@~/~~~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-30-2022, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
https://www.wxyz.com/news/alcohol-pa...y-for-10-years

I want to clarify: for multiple sexual assault allegations with no bystander intervention, the school has allowed them to stay on campus and isn't punishing them in any way, and they made a deal with the prosecutor's office to simply not hold drunken parties at the house?
Yes- this is my alma mater and I'm aware of several of the young women who were victims at this Fraternity and they have been raising hell with the university and the local law enforcement over the lack of consequences.

Some related articles: https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ta/8923095002/

https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor...dge-rules.html

Last edited by AGDee; 04-30-2022 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Adding links to other stories.