GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,577
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annagoolet2907
» Online Users: 1,668
0 members and 1,668 guests
No Members online

Old 12-09-2014, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
Actually, it was AGDee who asked you (for what I assume to be clarification about your position on this) the question below, which is still unanswered:

Is that what you're saying? IS her lack of physically fighting back what prevents this from being considered rape in your mind?
I thought both of you asked the same thing and that I was answering you both. Sorry if I did not make that clear. It's a straw-man argument, with regard to the Swarthmore case.

Quote:
I can only wonder why she's on such a campaign.
It's in the news a lot. And more interesting to me as a topic than badges or recruitment.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-09-2014, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Partly for two reasons:
1. People like you pretend feminism started this nonsense.
2. People like you equate the range of sexual victimization across billions of people with "turn the mechanics of sex into such a soul-sucking, lawyer-driven transaction, overseen by an army of campus administrators pouring over the minute details of individual sexual encounters".
"People like me". LOL!
Old 12-09-2014, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorgal View Post
"People like me". LOL!
I'm going based on your comments. Are you not posting based on your opinion? Let us know.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm going based on your comments. Are you not posting based on your opinion? Let us know.
There are not billions of people on our college campuses. I would call that fact, not my opinion.

But it is my opinion (and that of a lot of other women) that feminism has lost its way. Badly. And that this shit show on college campuses hurts women, and men.

Last edited by honorgal; 12-09-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's a straw-man argument, with regard to the Swarthmore case.
It's not a straw-man argument at all. In fact, it's not even an argument. It's simply a question. Is her lack of physically fighting back what prevents you from considering the situation rape?

I get that the Swathmore case is difficult because of the relationship the two had previously had; I know lines aren't always so clearly drawn in the sand. But, in my opinion, when a woman says no and a man has sex with her anyway, that's rape whether the woman physically fought back or not.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's not a straw-man argument at all. In fact, it's not even an argument. It's simply a question. Is her lack of physically fighting back what prevents you from considering the situation rape?
. No. It wasn't even a factor in the Swarthmore case. That's why its a straw man.

Quote:
I get that the Swathmore case is difficult because of the relationship the two had previously had; I know lines aren't always so clearly drawn in the sand. But, in my opinion, when a woman says no and a man has sex with her anyway, that's rape whether the woman physically fought back or not.
How about when the situation is reversed? A woman initiates, the man says no, and the woman persists? Is that rape?
Old 12-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
There are not billions of people on our college campuses.
Have there not been billions of people in the college system throughout the years? Think about it.

Quote:
But it is my opinion...
"People like you"
Old 12-09-2014, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm not questioning why she didn't physically fight back. I do question why you would encourage such a total lack of agency in college women. I find it absurd. And dangerous.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Have there not been billions of people in the college system throughout the years? Think about it.
I did. There have not.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I posted Yale's guide as it DOES address some of these murkier, gray areas. It gives much more explicit definitions of the different forms that sexual aggression may take. And it was also found to be in compliance with Title IX guidelines, which many other campuses are wresting with now.

I have no doubt that individuals of good will are making good faith efforts to give clarity to some of these more complex issues. Hopefully, this kind of clarity will also give young men on campuses on college campuses across the country clearer boundaries and definition to what is acceptable and what is not.

This has nothing to do with "feminism" or any other political agenda but rather finding workable solutions in dealing with a most serious problem that affects all students.

Honorgal, Which GLO are you a member of?

Chi Omega
Old 12-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
I did. There have not.

The National Center for Education Statistics---okay, I will say tens of millions of people have been in the thousands of colleges and universities over the years since the inception of colleges and universities 50-300+ years ago (rape isn't exclusive to co-educational institutions). Whether added together equals billion(s) of people over the 50-300+ years of the existence of thousands of college and universities in the USA...whatever. Happy now? Back to the point.

Last edited by DrPhil; 12-09-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Alum View Post
Not gonna lie, have been wondering this too.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

What does that possibly have to do with the topic at hand?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
. No. It wasn't even a factor in the Swarthmore case. That's why its a straw man.

How about when the situation is reversed? A woman initiates, the man says no, and the woman persists? Is that rape?
Your definition of straw man is different from any definition I'm familiar with. Asking a question in no way commits such a fallacy. To address your question, yes, I would say if a man says no and the woman persists, she raped him.

Quote:
I'm not questioning why she didn't physically fight back. I do question why you would encourage such a total lack of agency in college women. I find it absurd. And dangerous.
I've never said I encourage a lack of agency in college women. I find it absurd and dangerous that you want college men to think it's not rape to have sex with women who have already told them no.

Quote:
What does that possibly have to do with the topic at hand?
Well, it *is* Greekchat. Most contributors to the forum are affiliated with Greek life somehow.

Last edited by SydneyK; 12-09-2014 at 03:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-09-2014, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
I posted Yale's guide as it DOES address some of these murkier, gray areas. It gives much more explicit definitions of the different forms that sexual aggression may take. And it was also found to be in compliance with Title IX guidelines, which many other campuses are wresting with now.

I have no doubt that individuals of good will are making good faith efforts to give clarity to some of these more complex issues. Hopefully, this kind of clarity will also give young men on campuses on college campuses across the country clearer boundaries and definition to what is acceptable and what is not.
I think it's a good guide, and some of the things I like are that it say you need to get a "yes," verbal or otherwise, and generally encourages communication. It also talks about patterns of behavior and the excessive testing or violation of boundaries, which I think is really good, as I think that big violations often come from the same people who make little violations.

What I don't like is that, in the section on Prevention, there's not enough emphasis, well, not being a rapist. I think identifying rapey behavior and bystander intervention are good, but I'd like to see a section on behaviors that are not acceptable.

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 12-09-2014 at 03:49 PM.