GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,590
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, Davida3847
» Online Users: 1,515
2 members and 1,513 guests
Sen's Revenge, Xidelt

Old 01-16-2015, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I quite like our hand sign and what it represents. It was fun to pose in photos with it when I was in college. I hope it sticks around. I don't even mind that two other organizations have very similar/pretty much the same hand sign. I also don't have a problem with the panda ears and the new sheaf of wheat one I've seen on social media. As long as members are having fun and it's not offensive, I don't see the harm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIILisa View Post
ETA... some of those fraternity whistles look really complex, and I can read music. I wonder if anyone does those anymore?
I agree, some of the whistles do look complex! Apparently we have one, but I don't know it.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 01-15-2015, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

To me, (as a white male, whose been a rep to an Alpha Phi Omega chapter at an NPHC) the major difference between the NPHC and "traditional" (1980s?) NPC signs is that NPHC signs are mostly "thrown", single hand and often with motion. traditional NPC signs are often static, involve both hands (or in some cases arms) and/or have multiple women making pieces of the sign to "assemble" one sign...

And yes, the ASL sign for Vagina is two hands making "L" signs with the index finger pointing out and down tapping together. The ASL sign for kite (which may be what they are trying to make) is one hand with a finger pointing up (as the string) toward another flat hand (as the kite) with the kite hand fluttering and the two hands move in concert up and down

Vagina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m36jIkkmezg
Kite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nYGf9fvzk0
Old 01-15-2015, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
To me, (as a white male, whose been a rep to an Alpha Phi Omega chapter at an NPHC) the major difference between the NPHC and "traditional" (1980s?) NPC signs is that NPHC signs are mostly "thrown", single hand and often with motion. traditional NPC signs are often static, involve both hands (or in some cases arms) and/or have multiple women making pieces of the sign to "assemble" one sign...
I think that DG has been doing their "gam" salute since maybe the late 50s? ADPi "diamonds" have been around a long time too. GPB crescents and XO x's I think I have seen photos from the late 80s.

I think the finger letters is something that I started seeing more since the late 90s? Does anybody else know when NPC groups started doing this more? I just don't remember when it started.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I have seen photos of my Theta chapter using the vagina sign dating back to the early 80s, HOWEVER, as someone who was in the chapter in the early 90s I can say with 100% honesty that we had no idea!!! We were simply making a representation of a kite and our badge.

I recently ran into some of my chapter sisters and they were making the same sign when taking a photo together. When I told them the ASL meaning they all got a good laugh and wondered how did we not know?!?
Old 01-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sometimes....

Anyway, you meant HBCU in the bolded.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Sometimes....

Anyway, you meant HBCU in the bolded.
Given how much the NPHC groups run some campuses, that may be more true than most of us would like..., but yes, I meant HBCU.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I am perfectly ok with my sorority's hand sign since it is so painfully simple and celebrates the letter that makes us unique among NPC sororities. But the ones who have ridiculously complicated ones? Yeah, they should stop trying so hard to be cool. Their symbols are interesting and unique and the fact that they can't be mimicked in hand gestures should be celebrated, not used to cause carpal tunnel.

But straying into the ASL question, I have wondered how sorority names are translated for ASL. My nephew goes to RIT, a school with a lot of deaf students. I asked him to find out but, you know, he doesn't care so never got me an answer. Does anyone know if the letters are spelled out, abbreviated, made a single gesture, or what?
Old 01-15-2015, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I am perfectly ok with my sorority's hand sign since it is so painfully simple and celebrates the letter that makes us unique among NPC sororities. But the ones who have ridiculously complicated ones? Yeah, they should stop trying so hard to be cool. Their symbols are interesting and unique and the fact that they can't be mimicked in hand gestures should be celebrated, not used to cause carpal tunnel.

But straying into the ASL question, I have wondered how sorority names are translated for ASL. My nephew goes to RIT, a school with a lot of deaf students. I asked him to find out but, you know, he doesn't care so never got me an answer. Does anyone know if the letters are spelled out, abbreviated, made a single gesture, or what?
Tri Sigma does have a chapter there (Epsilon Psi), and they have a specific gesture that they created for Tri Sigma. They use the sign for "three" and drag it across their chest from their left to their right horizontally, as if they were Sigmas on their chest. It's very, very cool, and my personal favorite gesture for Tri Sigma.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post

There is a Greek Sign Language which has fingerspelling signs for the Greek Alphabet the same way that American Sign Language has for the English Alphabet. See http://myweb.ttu.edu/carsteph/GreekManualAlphabet.jpg , but I've *never* seen these signs used by Greek Letter Organizations.

My fraternity in signing our toast song uses the following sign. The Boy Scout sign is also our handsign, it starts out "on the square" (upper arm horizontal, lower arm up), then is folded over the heart and then extended palm up. We'd never try using it with a group without explaining it first, but in casual conversation in ASL, they'd probably just abbreviate it to APO.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There is a Greek Sign Language which has fingerspelling signs for the Greek Alphabet the same way that American Sign Language has for the English Alphabet. See http://myweb.ttu.edu/carsteph/GreekManualAlphabet.jpg , but I've *never* seen these signs used by Greek Letter Organizations.

My fraternity in signing our toast song uses the following sign. The Boy Scout sign is also our handsign, it starts out "on the square" (upper arm horizontal, lower arm up), then is folded over the heart and then extended palm up. We'd never try using it with a group without explaining it first, but in casual conversation in ASL, they'd probably just abbreviate it to APO.
I'm not loving the sign for "Kappa." "Delta" is okay, but "Kappa" looks like you're flipping someone the bird!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
I'm not loving the sign for "Kappa." "Delta" is okay, but "Kappa" looks like you're flipping someone the bird!
Kappa and Delta are actually identical to the ASL signs for K and D. For the Kappa/K, it is the index finger that is going up and the middle finger that is going out.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Kappa and Delta are actually identical to the ASL signs for K and D. For the Kappa/K, it is the index finger that is going up and the middle finger that is going out.
Thank you for the correction! That's what I thought at first and then I looked at the picture and it looked like it was middle finger extended. National Kappa Delta would LOVE *that* in some pictures.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Are hand signs really that new to all of Greek life or am I misinterpreting the thread? I know every sorority on my campus has one and I guess I thought it's always been that way. But, hey... I'm a PNM so I could be totally wrong.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderLikeABronc View Post
Are hand signs really that new to all of Greek life or am I misinterpreting the thread? I know every sorority on my campus has one and I guess I thought it's always been that way. But, hey... I'm a PNM so I could be totally wrong.
Lol no. NPC groups using hand signs to this degree has only come about in tbe last 5-10 years.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Lol no. NPC groups using hand signs to this degree has only come about in tbe last 5-10 years.
Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification.