GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Fundraising
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 1,038
2 members and 1,036 guests
g41965, IrishLake

Old 05-08-2004, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
Party

how do you do a greek party? such as those cute little cards that you hand out to students or put on their windshield, and those cute names you come up with etc........what is needed and how much is invested? this will be our first party. One of the hall we want to rent, it is a private party only tha tmeans we have to give list of names to police first before getting a permit!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-11-2004, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

It might be best to contact other social chairs for various groups at your school to get specific information on rules/printers/ideas. Take advantage of the many around you who have been there, done that! Hope this helps!!
Old 06-18-2004, 05:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
I need some advice and ideas......I would appreciate any......and the other greeks on campus are closed lipped......
Old 06-18-2004, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I can't speak for what is popular on your campus, but in my day we usually had theme parties. For really quick ideas on decorations/costumes/etc, I can offer up two great websites:
http://www.orientaltrading.com
and for the more exotic costumes,
http://www.hollywood-costumes.com
The Oriental Trading Company one will probably be more helpful for your first party and getting ideas and costs of options.

We usually had a keg in one corner, mixed drinks in another, non-alcoholic in the third, and food in the fourth, so that most people flowed around the room. Dancing/band on back end, lights/fog machine if fitting theme, and usually

college students + alcohol + music = great party.

Some themes I remember most are the 70's party with "bring your own pillow" for the sit-in/sleep-over affect, the Egyptian party with flowing mixed drink pyamid and take-your-photo-as-a-sphynx/cleopatra sort of thing happening, and a Mardi-Gras Crawfish Boil with Tshirts proclaiming "I sucked the Head!" given to anyone who did so. A little crass, but it was sooooooo delicious and fun.

Hope this helps to get you started!
Old 06-18-2004, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SiKeS
A personal favorite - Pigtails & Pedophiles party
Old 06-18-2004, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to be a prude, sikes, but that idea sounds kind of taboo! I guess it is just the whole pedophile idea, although I can see how it would be funny to have the guys dress like lecherous old men. It does touch on a very sensitive topic, however. What would the shirts look like? Not attacking you or your idea btw!!!

Flapper party with people dressing like in the roaring twenties was one of my favorites. I guess i am old school, huh?
Old 06-18-2004, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

An easy classic to pull off is a Barn Dance...

Although skip on the all-night Country music...a little for effect is fine, but not everyone is a fan...
Old 06-18-2004, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rosejoy
Not to be a prude, sikes, but that idea sounds kind of taboo! I guess it is just the whole pedophile idea, although I can see how it would be funny to have the guys dress like lecherous old men. It does touch on a very sensitive topic, however. What would the shirts look like? Not attacking you or your idea btw!!!

Flapper party with people dressing like in the roaring twenties was one of my favorites. I guess i am old school, huh?
Hehe I'll show ya.
(I see what you're sayin tho)

Good times, ahh yes.. Good times...

-Matt

Last edited by SiKeS; 06-19-2004 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Toujours_Jolie
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by SiKeS
A personal favorite - Pigtails & Pedophiles party
Yeah, I can see how this would be your favorite. Nothing is cuter than making fun of the victimization and exploitation of children.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Toujours_Jolie
Yeah, I can see how this would be your favorite. Nothing is cuter than making fun of the victimization and exploitation of children.
Woah now.. Settle down and learn not to take things so seriously.
There is always going to be something that will offend someone else.. The key is to be more relaxed.

Honestly, I'm sorry if my comment offends you.. But I figured with a themed party with over 300 participants and no complaints that most people didn't take it literally and took it as what it was, a party, and had a good time.

BTW, at the time I was a rushee and had no part in planning this party, though I'm sorry that the fact that I enjoyed it bothers you.

-Matt

Last edited by SiKeS; 06-18-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

In order to avoid the whole pediphile debate, how 'bout if we just all agree that something like the Bridget Jones Diary "Tarts and Vicars" party as a good middle ground?

In any case, it is clear to see that the ideas for greek parties are very mosaic and it will depend on the people attending...
Old 06-19-2004, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree...

I was thinkin' bout it and I'm sorry if it seemed like I was attacking your opinion Toujours_Jolie. I see how this could be a sensitive topic which should be taken more seriously, and in that case I was a bit insensitive.

I hope you realize that the party was only in good fun and my intent in posting wasn't to offend anyone.

Take it easy,

-Matt
Old 06-19-2004, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Making light of child molestation is reprehensible.

IMO this is even much worse than a party where someone wears blackface. Children are defenseless against sexual predators.

You can have a similar themed party and at least call it something else that doesn't have this connotation.

It's one thing to be offensive, but when it draws to the sexual abuse of children, that's just very very wrong.

It's not about being PC. Glorifying pedophiles is sick.

Oversensitive? Perhaps. But I don't really give a damn. That just isn't right.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Argh I guess next time I just won't post my opinion.

"Glorifying pedophiles" - Not at all, really.

It was a "theme."
There is a major difference from having a theme party like this where people are able to dress up and have a good time... to having an event to praise the acts of pedophiles... Major difference and a lot of you just aren't seeing it.

People go around telling Michael jackson, R Kelly, Woody Allen, etc jokes... Sure its a bit distasteful, but do you honestly think that when they're going around telling these jokes that they're in praise of the people they're joking about?

I'm guessing you never found any of these jokes to be amusing. That's cool, I didn't really either. But I'm guessing that if there was a mixer on your campus with a theme similar to this, you'd not go and state how it is wrong and "sick"?

I doubt it. I'm having trouble understanding why you're so tense about something that doesn't "glorify" anything except having a good time. You're in costume, its a weekend and the last thing anybody is thinking about is the subject of child molestation literally.

Not to say that they don't take it seriously and that it isn't an important issue to them, but that they have the ability to see the brighter side in things and still have a good time regardless.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Answer me this: why is it necessary to use "pedophiles"? There are a million other variations that could be used that are less sick.

And if there was a party with that title on my campus, I would not go, and chances are, anyone else in my sorority wouldn't have gone. Not with a title like that.

Because it's just a "theme" that makes it okay? Is a blackface "theme" okay? No, we've all learned that.

My guess is that the IHQ of whatever group this was wouldn't think it was very funny either.