GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,556
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, baleeymaarley61
» Online Users: 2,369
0 members and 2,369 guests
No Members online

Old 05-14-2007, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Big Sis/Lil Sis Gifts

I always loved Big Sis/ Lil Sis week....who wouldn't! Anyway, I'd spend so many hours painting pandas and Raggedy Anns (our local mascot) on everything from bulletin boards to trash cans. My chapter went so overboard every year. We usually had 4 days of gifts with Big Sis/ Lil Sis night on Thursday. Each day had a theme...Plant Day (you'd get a bulletin board and a plant with AOII painted on the pot), Wheat and Cookie Day (obviously you'd get cookies but I can't remember what else), Raggedy Ann and Red Day (chair and a raggedy ann) and Big Sis/Lil Sis night (a mirror, any panda item you could find and a t-shirt specific to each family that was used to match up the Big/Lil combos.) To this day I still am able to find panda bear and raggedy ann merchandise wherever I go. If I see black and white or a rag doll my eyes immediately pick out the item! What did your chapter do for this event?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 05-14-2007 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Ignorance
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-14-2007, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I'd like to know how the NPHC sororities celebrate as well!
They don't.

If you do a search, I'm pretty sure the big/little topic been covered multiple times.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 05-14-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
They don't.

If you do a search, I'm pretty sure this has been covered multiple times.
Why not let a member from NPHC answer the question. When did you become the authority on all things NPHC?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII_LB93 View Post
Why not let a member from NPHC answer the question. When did you become the authority on all things NPHC?
Most NPHCers don't come to the GL forum, therefore, she's might not get a response otherwise. And the OP is demonstrating that she has very little knowledge of the way NPHC works, and while I'm not claiming to be an authority, I know enough about them to answer the question. What difference does it make to you who answers the question?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

The NPHCs have sister-mother/daughter...they celebrate that in there own way I'm sure. It doesn't have to be gifts, it can just be recognition of some sort. Anyway, this may have been done many times, but I'm bored with the current topics and would like to rehash something fun.

AOII

Old 05-14-2007, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The NPHCs have sister-mother/daughter...
Not really. At least, none of the members I've spoke with, either on GC or on my campus do this. Maybe they did on your campus, but I think it would be highly unusual.

The only thing NPC and NPHC really have in common is Greek letters, the word "sorority", and the letters "N", "P", and "C". Oh, and philanthropy, but even that is completely different.

And no, I'm not an NPHCer, but I'm talking generalities, not intake process, etc.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

My mistake Alpha...I read a prior post wrong. How bout I just edit my original question?

AOII

Old 05-14-2007, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My mistake Alpha...I read a prior post wrong. How bout I just edit my original question?
Works for me. I've always been interested in how NPHC operates, since they're so much different than us. Read around on a few of their threads. Good stuff. Many NPCers wish that we could be more like them when it comes to certain things.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Most of the chapters on my campus did "stringing" it was almost like a scavenger hunt where the big sister would take string or yarn and have notes w/ baskets of presents wrapped all around the inside of the house, the strings would be all intertwined like spiderwebs and go through all 3 levels of the house. At the end of the string the big sister would be waiting for her little.

This was years ago and I know a few chapters didn't do this because some felt it was inappropriate. It was fun though...

In my chapter little sisters always did paddles for their bigs and big's always did pillow cases that said "An AXO angel sleeps here."
Old 05-14-2007, 12:27 PM

This was always my fave time of the year. I only have one Little, and looking back, I spent ENTIRELY too much money on her.

We have 3 days of gifts & clues with Revealing on the 4th day. Our Bigs usually go all out for their Littles. We ended up having a spending limit when I became a Big ($250). There were also certain gifts that were strongly suggested (in addition to anything else we bought) so that all the Littles had some of the same things.

Strongly Suggested:

*A handmade poster for every day (they said stuff like "I love my Little")
*badge box (most people hand-painted these)
*one "handed down" shirt (If your Little was bigger/smaller than you, you got one from someone who was their size).
*lettered tote bag
*pearls (real or fake-to wear for initiation)

Anything else was up to you. Most people went above and beyond. Some popular items in my chapter:

*Blankets with initiation date embroidered.
*Hand painted block letter Sigmas.
*Chalkboards/whiteboards.
*Silver/Gold lavalieres or Tiffany-style bracelets.

In addition to all of the gifts, you also had to make your matching lettered shirts for Revealing with "Big Sis" & "Lil Sis" embroidered under the letters. After you had been "revealed" to your Little, you would present her with her shirt and take lots of pictures in it of course. Everybody brings their cameras, so the pictures are the longest part!

After Revealing, each family usually goes out to dinner or does something fun!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-25-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

We didn't have a big-little week, but we did have a reveal night. The littles put on tee-shirts that had a cute logo on the front- two stick figure girls and the words "keep your hands off my little- AOII" on it. Then they would stand in a circle. They were asked to keep thier eyes closed (blindfolds would have been considered hazing) and then the bigs came and stood in front of them, at the signal, the bigs would hug the littles- the bigs also had paint on their hands so that the tee shirts then had two handprints on the back. The little littles also recieved photo albums that night- covered with material and decorated for them.
During Initiation week, the littles recieved gifts every day. The theme was the rose- so the first day it was a "brown" gift (usually something made of wood) to symbolize the stem, the next day green- for the leaves, then white, pink, and finally on the day of initiation, red. after initiation bigs and littles exchanged "wall plaques"- the big recieved one that looked like a paddle and the little recieved one in the shape of a bear. That was also the traditional night for the littles to get lavaliers (although they could technically wear them before that). Plus, the littles recieved a pillowcase from the chapter. That one was a tradition since we were colonized.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God

Last edited by ForeverRoses; 05-14-2007 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-14-2007, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

All of those sound fun. My chapter used to do a scavenger hunt. My biological sister who pledged the year before me went on it. The actives were very upset when they found out that the scavenger hunt was considered hazing. Nothing mean was done, but an advisor said NO! Anyway, our revealing took place in the chapter room. Girls would come in groups of two. The lights would be off and all the actives would be hiding. As the girls looked around, sisters would jump up and show off their shirts until the girls found the right group. We'd then all go out to dinner. I have three little sisters and all of them got way too much stuff!

AOII

Old 07-27-2009, 05:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Ahhhh...posting mistakes from the newbie me! Love reading these old ignorant ones.

AOII

Old 07-28-2009, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
We didn't have a big-little week, but we did have a reveal night. The littles put on tee-shirts that had a cute logo on the front- two stick figure girls and the words "keep your hands off my little- AOII" on it. Then they would stand in a circle. They were asked to keep thier eyes closed (blindfolds would have been considered hazing) and then the bigs came and stood in front of them, at the signal, the bigs would hug the littles- the bigs also had paint on their hands so that the tee shirts then had two handprints on the back. The little littles also recieved photo albums that night- covered with material and decorated for them.
I absolutely adore this!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

We also didn't have a week - we had a night. The littles choose the bigs, since we're a small org. This year, we went on a scavenger hunt to find out who we got. At the end, all of our littles were standing on the balcony, hanging a pinata down. When it broke, all the candy had matching colored post it notes, andw e had to find the one with our name and then find another one that matched, and that had our little's name. For example, I found a lollipop with a green post it that said my name, so I had to find another green post it that had my little. So cute!