GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,577
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annagoolet2907
» Online Users: 1,525
2 members and 1,523 guests
JayhawkAOII, Phrozen Sands

Old 08-22-2011, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

University of Southern California Recruitment Begins

University of Southern California begins recruitment on August 22, 2011 with orientation. All registered participants must have completed the alcohol education requirement.

Nine chapters will participate in formal recruitment. A change this year will be three evenings of "Conversation Days". Three chapters will be visited each evening. Following will be House Tours and Slideshow Day.

Preference will take place on Sunday morning and Bid Night will be celebrated Sunday evening.

Presents, a long tradition at SC, will take place in October during Parents' Weekend.

Last edited by Football Fan; 08-22-2011 at 01:45 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-22-2011, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

That's a really interesting change- and I like the concept! Are the parties for the "Conversation" days longer? I hope this schedule works out well. Seems like it gives everyone, especially pnms, a better opportunity to make a good first impression without just blazing through nine parties in four or five hours. By the time you get to that last party everyone is exhausted!

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 08-22-2011, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

SC Schedule

Last year pnms visited the nine chapters in two days. Classes were in session, so it was stressful for both actives and pnms. The hope is women have more time to meet actives and become acquainted with each chapter using the new schedule.

Times are the same for three days: 5:30-7:35 Group I and 8:10-10:15 Group II

Friday will be chapter house tours. Women will visit up to six chapters by invitation. Times are: 2:00-11:20

Saturday is Slideshow Day. Women will visit up to four chapters by invitation. Times are: 11:00-6:10

Preference is Sunday morning from 9:00 to 12:30. Women visit up to two chapters by invitation. Bid Night is 8:00 for the celebration.

Sigma Delta Tau will have informal recruitment after formal recruitment is completed..
Old 08-24-2011, 04:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Any news on how the first convo day went? How many have registered for recruitment this year?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a super-fantastic pnm going through - hope it goes well for her!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Last I heard was over 700 registered as of a week ago Monday, and registration closed last Sunday night. I'm sure it went up after move-in day.

I'm living in this year, and it's an odd experience not being able to go through our front door at certain hours!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

The daughter of a coworker is going through recruitment there right now. So far, mom says daughter is having fun & is enjoying getting to know the different chapters.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I like that they have spread convo day over three days...much less grueling for pnm's and actives...do you think everyone seen on the first day will be at a disadvantage because the memory is not as "fresh"?
Old 08-25-2011, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know, it seems more grueling for the actives, though way easier on the PNMs. I mean, the actives do get more breaks, but still. It's still another day of recruitment.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Any update on how the conversation days went?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Some news

Recruitment numbers were down from the record registered last year. I have only UNOFFICIAL news quota was 48, down from 62 in 2010.

Apparently, huge numbers of women dropped from recruitment. No official numbers are available at this time.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if the new method of recruitment had anything to do with the large number of women who dropped out?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

There are many factors involved. In my opinion the student profile of freshmen has changed to more northeastern students and international students. They appear to have less interest in Greek life.

The RFM method seems to place more women who stay with recuitment. SC has lost a list of chapters over the years.

Many of SC students are from Trojan families of many generations. To some only certain sororities are "acceptable". If invitations do not include those chapters pnms drop out of recruitment.

Some pnms use recruitment as a way to meet people and have no intention of becoming Greek. They drop after first round.

SC now has residential colleges. Certain students choose these instead of joining a Greek chapter.

The university encourages double majoring and multidisciplinary choices. Many students feel they would have no time for Greek life due to demanding academic schedules.

The above are my guesses. There are no studies available why the numbers have dropped dramatically.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
There are many factors involved. In my opinion the student profile of freshmen has changed to more northeastern students and international students. They appear to have less interest in Greek life.

The RFM method seems to place more women who stay with recuitment. SC has lost a list of chapters over the years.

Many of SC students are from Trojan families of many generations. To some only certain sororities are "acceptable". If invitations do not include those chapters pnms drop out of recruitment.

Some pnms use recruitment as a way to meet people and have no intention of becoming Greek. They drop after first round.

SC now has residential colleges. Certain students choose these instead of joining a Greek chapter.

The university encourages double majoring and multidisciplinary choices. Many students feel they would have no time for Greek life due to demanding academic schedules.

The above are my guesses. There are no studies available why the numbers have dropped dramatically.
Although many of these items may be true I doubt that it would be that drastic of a drop from one year to the next. I would think it would be a more subtle decline over years.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

As I wrote these are guesses.