GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,583
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, CallieLand
» Online Users: 2,141
4 members and 2,137 guests
g41965, MethrenLusia, Xidelt

Old 05-05-2005, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TPARose
Moving Cross Country

Welp, I am moving from Maryland to San Diego in August to attend grad school at UCSD. I don't know much about the area, and I know basically no one who lives there. I have to find an apartment and a way to get my car out there, and I am clueless as how to do that without actually going there first.

Needless to say, I am terrified.

Has anybody made a similiar cross country move? If so, do you have any words of advice, such as things to pack or do?

Is there anyone from the San Diego area that can give me an insiders peek as to what to look for?

AHHH!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-05-2005, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

When we moved to Colorado from Chicago, we had no clue what we were doing and only knew one person who lived here. We ended up taking a weekend trip to look for an apartment -- which wasn't too bad since you can drive 1000 miles and back in two days. I don't know if you have the option to do that, but it would be great if you could -- many of the apartments that sounded really great in the ads were absolutely hideous and unacceptable in person. Of course if you feel comfortable showing up with your stuff and staying at a hotel for a couple days while you look, that would work too.

I've usually found the best apartments through either the local paper (which you can often search online) or craigslist.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:01 PM

Although not cross country, I just moved on Saturday to another state. Orlando to Atlanta is a pretty long move. When my boyfriend was looking for a place in Atlanta, he called an Atlanta area realtor that was recommended by the professor he would be working for. We went up one weekend and looked for a house/condo.

As for getting all my stuff and car there, we rented a Budget truck and drove it on up with my car towed to the back. Then again, Orlando to Atlanta is only 460 miles vs. Maryland to San Diego. I do have a friend who moved out to San Diego a few years ago from Orlando. He sold all his stuff before the move and had about $6,000 in his pocket. He drove his car out there (took him 2 days) and when he got to San Diego, he bought all new stuff.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Banned

Re: Moving Cross Country

Quote:
Originally posted by TPARose
Welp, I am moving from Maryland to San Diego in August to attend grad school at UCSD. I don't know much about the area, and I know basically no one who lives there. I have to find an apartment and a way to get my car out there, and I am clueless as how to do that without actually going there first.

Needless to say, I am terrified.

Has anybody made a similiar cross country move? If so, do you have any words of advice, such as things to pack or do?

Is there anyone from the San Diego area that can give me an insiders peek as to what to look for?

AHHH!
I'm considering the SD area.

I hear young people really only live in PB so you may want to consider that.

-Rudey
Old 05-05-2005, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I did it at 18. Although it was still in Texas, I moved 17 hours across the state - from one end to the other.

If I can do it at 18, you can do it now. Plus, I was an idiot then. You dont seem like you're an idiot, so you should do just fine.

Can you fly out there first and check things out? Maybe take a friend with you?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:25 PM

It's difficult and scary leaving what you're familiar with and going to a new place. But you already did that by going to Pitt from Maryland! This is just a slightly bigger scale

Best of luck with your move! Are you studying Japanese in grad school?
Old 05-05-2005, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

TPARose - I pretty much did what you're doing...I moved from Boston to LA for grad school 2 yrs ago. I drove cross country with a sorority sister so anything I packed had to fit in my car. You should try craig's list for apts, I know of people who have done phone interviews for apts and roommates so that might be a good start.

San Diego is beautiful, tons of young people and its a great city. You'll have a blast. The first few months are rough while you get settled and start a new school. God knows grad school kept me busy which made it hard to get out and meet people. If your GLO has an alumnae association out there definitely join, I made some great friends that way and you dont feel so alone.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'll be more than happy to help and I know how big of a move this must be for you.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

i moved from upstate new york to vegas at 18, and it was a blast. sure its scary, but once you get to the new place, its so exciting.
im sure you'll do fine, yeah youll be freaked out for for the first few weeks, but youll find that soon enough you'll feel like youve lived there forever.
good luck to you! if you'd like any info on the socal area, PM me, i have a sorority sister that lives in santa monica and a really good friend who lives in ventura when hes not here -- but i go visit his mom and dad whenever i get the chance..... but anyways - its a GORGEOUS area. and secretly, UCSD is my dream school
but again, good luck to you and your trip!!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

San Diego is AWESOME. I've never moved cross country, but one of my friends moved to San Fran. from MIchigan and I helped her plan everything. If you need to find a place anywhere in California craigslist is a good way to do that. I'm sure the UCSD website also has some sort of link to off campus housing help.
Depending on how much stuff you are bringing with you, the cheapest way to do it would be to get a drive it yourself truck and get a (very nice, generous) friend to driv eit for you, and follow in your car, or if you have lots of stuff and money, hire movers, ship your car, and fly out to CA which would probably be easier on you, however probably much more expensive.
Also be aware CA has ALOT stricter emissions standards than some other states, so you may have to do some stuff to your car to get it registered here. This site may give you some hints about doing that.

CA DMV website Also be prepared for your car insurance to go up as well. That is all I can think of besides to say I think San Diego is an AWESOME city and that I spent two weeks at UCSD with a friend who went there and you should have an awesome time.
To meet people don't forget about TPA Alum chapters and if there isn't a TPA one, try an alumnae panhellenic group, I'm sure there's one in the SD area.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glitter650
Also be aware CA has ALOT stricter emissions standards than some other states, so you may have to do some stuff to your car to get it registered here.
They say that but not really, you should see some of the crap cars I've seen on the freeways.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TPARose
Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver
You dont seem like you're an idiot, so you should do just fine.
Hahaha, you give meway to much credit!

KR- Im actually not studying Japanese in Grad School, but close to it! UCSD has a school of International Relations and Pacific Studies whichI will be attending.

It's funny, there is an alumni chapter of TPA in Southern Cali., but most of the alumni are left over from the Pi Chapter at UCLA which closed... quite some time ago!

Thank you all for all of your suggestions! You are the best!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
I moved from Wisconsin to San Francisco in December and I may relocate to our company office in San Diego at the end of the summer.

Anyway, the trip had pros and cons. It was boring as all hell (I made the drive by myself). The drive was also very dangerous as I was going through the mountains during the winter. I nearly slid off the road and over various mountains several times. I got stuck in Laramie Wyoming due to road closings and I was caught in a storn while driving through Lake Tahoe which was not fun.

But I did meet a lot of interesting people. I had drinks at serious country bars. I met hot womens. I was finally able to appreciate the mountains and the beauty of the western state. I met more hot womens. And I made it to SF alive.

Although I already had an apt and a job lined up prior to coming out here for the most part, you should check craigslist for apt listings and whatnot. You may also want to figure out where UCSD is located so you aren't living too far away. Do a google search on apartments for rent in San Diego and I'm sure you'll find all kinds of stuff.

My friend Leslie lives in SD and my friend Melissa moved there from WI around the same time I left for SF, I can ask her a few things and try to post them here when I get a chance.

Wizord
Old 05-08-2005, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
TPARose,

I live in the San Diego area, so if you need any help, please let me know. I did a quick google search and found a listing for www.sandiegoapartments.com which listed a few apartments - looking under the beach city coastal apartments I saw a listing for a condo in La Jolla (near to UCSD according to them) that is furnished and going for $900.

Best of luck - and when you get to San Diego, let us know...it's time for another San Diego GC get together (I've missed those!)

(BTW - there is an alumnae Panhellenic here in the SD area, and I can get you contact information if you need it)