GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 1,304
2 members and 1,302 guests
sydnemaarleyz20

Old 07-23-2006, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow rushing at USF as a junior

Hello!

I go to USF in Tampa, and I'm a fresh junior ready to conquer the world. Ive always wanted to rush, but for the past 2 years I was dealing with transferring to different schools, so I was planning on rushing at those schools. But finally I decided on a major (one that USF offered so I got to stay after all!) So 3 weeks ago i registered for recruitment and now I am anxiously awaiting recruitment week, which is in about a month. But the past few days have got me a little nervous. I am not sure if USF has a upperclassman quota, or what kind of chances I have b/c of my class level and age (21). I have a good GPA and know I'm not going to graduate for at least 3 more years. So if there are any members out there that belong to a sorority at USF that can give me any advice it will be greatly appreciated!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-23-2006, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

ShadyKD is a USF alumna; I'm sure she wouldn't mind giving you some general advice. I'll go track her down!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle555
Hello!

I go to USF in Tampa, and I'm a fresh junior ready to conquer the world. Ive always wanted to rush, but for the past 2 years I was dealing with transferring to different schools, so I was planning on rushing at those schools. But finally I decided on a major (one that USF offered so I got to stay after all!) So 3 weeks ago i registered for recruitment and now I am anxiously awaiting recruitment week, which is in about a month. But the past few days have got me a little nervous. I am not sure if USF has a upperclassman quota, or what kind of chances I have b/c of my class level and age (21). I have a good GPA and know I'm not going to graduate for at least 3 more years. So if there are any members out there that belong to a sorority at USF that can give me any advice it will be greatly appreciated!
Well I'm a junior rushing at UCF but with three years left because I'm a double major...but my friend K is rushing at USF (because I pretty much talked her into it lol) and am super excited for her! I hope everything turns out great for both of you!!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not unheard of for sororities at USF to take juniors. I would venture a guess that IF they were to take juniors, they would only take one or two out of a pledge class of 30 something.

I would definitely stress that you have 3 years left. They don't call it "U Stay Forever" for nothing! I wish you the best with recruitment!

- Shae
USF '04
Old 07-23-2006, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Shae, what is it with the I-4 Corridor schools?! LOL:

USF: U Stay Forever
UCF: U Can't Finish

Hmm...
Old 07-23-2006, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

UNF = U Never Finish
Old 07-23-2006, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

FAMU = Forget About Moving away from Us

UM = University of Miami

UF = University of in a piece of Crap town
Old 07-23-2006, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I only took 4 years, unlike some of my friends who are on the 5/6/7 year plan.

Twinkle, do you know what this year's recruitment theme is?
Old 07-23-2006, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=ShaedyKD]Yeah, I only took 4 years, unlike some of my friends who are on the 5/6/7 year plan.QUOTE]

Hey my motto for college (as per the facebook group) is that "Leaving college in 4 years is like leaving a party at 10:30...

And for all my FSU fans...
What did the UF graduate say to the FSU graduate?

"Would you like fries with that?"

And nothing against Gator fans, but I still bleed garnet and gold even though I have to add some black in the there for my new school (UCF is black and gold).
Old 07-24-2006, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaedyKD
Yeah, I only took 4 years, unlike some of my friends who are on the 5/6/7 year plan.

Twinkle, do you know what this year's recruitment theme is?

not sure on the theme..but i will keep you posted!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=liltrixx]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaedyKD
Yeah, I only took 4 years, unlike some of my friends who are on the 5/6/7 year plan.QUOTE]

Hey my motto for college (as per the facebook group) is that "Leaving college in 4 years is like leaving a party at 10:30...

And for all my FSU fans...
What did the UF graduate say to the FSU graduate?

"Would you like fries with that?"

And nothing against Gator fans, but I still bleed garnet and gold even though I have to add some black in the there for my new school (UCF is black and gold).

haha yea my friend told me the "leaving college in 4 years is like leaving the party at 10:30" one. i agree. im pretty sure the average college student graduates in 5 years now anyways.

usf= u stay forever! grrreat

thanks for the advice!
Old 07-24-2006, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

thank you all!

thanks everyone for the advice! i think tomorrow I;m going to email the greek life office and ask about quotas and this issue. ill keep you guys posted!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I really don't think any other FL school can say much to UF...I'm no Gator fan, but strong academics, strong athletics...
Old 07-24-2006, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I was under the impression that Miami was actually very strong academically.......don't know where I heard that.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
My experience in Florida schools:

UF- you only party if you wish. Academics are tough. Parking is the biggest problem. I outgrew Gainesville after a few years, but my folks still live there.

UNF- they are strict with payments. If you don't pay on time, they drop you! UF didn't do that. I never got a degree from here- only took 3 graduate level classes- so I cannot give much more insight.

USF- I had no problem getting the classes I wanted. But then, I was a graduate student. However, they do charge for transcripts and make you wait a while for them- which UF didn't do. And you have to wait for your diplomas as well.

Anyhow, when I entered USF to go to library school, a sorority was just colonizing or having a first rush there. It was ZTA. I was VERY tempted to check them out- but the rush activities were coinciding with my classes and job. Plus I did not know if you could do it as a graduate student- but had I could, you bet I would have tried. Shows you my interest never went away. I'm a PNAM now.

Theta Phi Alpha