GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,160
0 members and 1,160 guests
No Members online

Old 10-29-2002, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Alleged rape at Pike house at the University of Arkansas

http://www.thehometownchannel.com/ne...31/detail.html
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-29-2002, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Um... so they didn't know if a rape had in fact taken place and they reported it.

Now THAT is responsible!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-29-2002, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I would almost guarantee that there was not a rape involving this chapter. Not only is this one of our model PiKA chapters, they also won our Risk Awareness Award last year. Needless to say, I would be incredibly shocked and upset if they actually did this.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by KEPike
I would almost guarantee that there was not a rape involving this chapter. Not only is this one of our model PiKA chapters, they also won our Risk Awareness Award last year. Needless to say, I would be incredibly shocked and upset if they actually did this.
Almost doesn't matter now since the media already seems to have convicted them. At least wait however long it takes to discover if it was rape.. And THEN we have to talk about how it occured. If they were holding an open party they were inviting this sort of thing.

Even the PKA's here follow strict risk reduction guidelines so I dunno. I'm just a little upset with the news channel. Judging from the length of the story though it was probably just a little read that no one would pay much attention to anyway.

Still it makes you a little mad.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

I think that they had reported it to add attention to the case. I mean something like this should definetly not be "swept under the carpet" just because it has not been proven.

Sorry to say but it doesn't matter if the Pikes had a great risk program or that they follow strict guidlines.. shit like that happens, and we would be naive to say it didn't. I'm on a big ten campus and this stuff happens all the time... the sad thing is that these women don't pressure the case and the offender doesn't get caught because they don't think anyone cares or that anything will happen.

Yeah I would be mad that my fraternity was negatively publicized... but I would be even more pist that one of my brothers were involved with something like this.
And we wonder why all these rules keep popping up through IFC and Panhellenic.... we ruin it for ourselves!!!

take it for what it is....
Old 10-29-2002, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

What pissed me off about the article was the fact that they were reporting the rape before they had even proven a rape had occured. As it says they had not even recieved the results from the rape test kit yet!

A little early to be airing the story on the nightly news.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:18 AM

Sorry everyone, but this is a legitimate news story which is pretty well ballanced.

The story calls the incident an "alleged" rape, states upfront that the results of the test haven't been announced and that police are investigating.

Nowhere does it say that a crime took place. They are simply quoting police reports.

You would see this in any media in a college community.

If the woman or the police reported this and it wasn't reported, you would be even more angry.

Assuming that you truly believed you were raped, put yourself in the woman's place and think about it.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd have to agree, this actually is a newsworthy piece. Newspapers and television stations report investigations of all types (arson, robbery, assault) -- why do people get so defensive when journalists report investigations No where in this article does it say that a rape actually occured. Frankly, if the police were investigating an alleged rape in my apartment complex, sororority house or in my neighborhood, I'd be pissed off if the newspaper didn't report it!

I'd also like to say that it is pretty interesting that people think a person isn't capable of rape just because they belong to a chapter that has received awards for risk management -- there are bad apples in every bunch.

Last edited by Jhawkalum; 10-29-2002 at 10:36 AM.