GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,571
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, agelaspetrovy45
» Online Users: 2,549
1 members and 2,548 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the encouraging posts and advice. After the first month I figure we will know more about whether it will be a situation she can live with, or if we should seek a change.

I'm just hoping that rush will be a positive experience and give her lots of new friends.(Thus taking her mind off roommate troubles.) I'll report back later today with her 2nd day impressions.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumom2010 View Post
Hi,

Glad to join this thread. My daughter, "Cassie" is also a PNM. Today she visited 10 groups and will visit 7 more tomorrow. She said that it was very hot, but a good day. She liked all but about 2 of the groups. Two or three groups made very positive first impressions on her. In general she liked the groups that made an effort to have you meet lots of people more than the groups where you met only one or two members.

On a less positive note, she is very stressed out over her new roommate.
They are polar opposites. The new roomie has already said she likes to smoke, drink and sleep with lots of boys. My daughter is pretty much a straight arrow. Any good advice?

aumom - welcome, and good luck to your daughter. Remember that impressions change from day to day, so I hope that the "straight arrow" finds that she likes a kite, a key, an anchor, a quill, a diamond, or any of another of many other shapes, that she also likes (sorry carnation, couldn't resist).

Seriously: the roommate situation needs to be addressed immediately. We are talking about 18 year olds so it might be somewhat scary for your daughter to speak up for herself. I would think that sooner rather than later would be preferable if she needs to make a change. She's not the only one in this situation, I promise you. Encourage her to speak with her RA, and give her lots of support and love this week as she goes through recruitment.

Here's hoping everyone has a great week. I still want to go to Auburn and Alabama and Ole Miss (road trip!) for recruitment; what an experience it sounds (and looks) like.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

My husband and son hiked 80+ miles at Philmont. Their blister-prevention kit was duct tape! Wonder if they make flesh-colored duct tape?

Yes, go NOW and get the roommate thing straightened out. Another week and they probably won't let you change.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumom2010 View Post
Thanks for the encouraging posts and advice. After the first month I figure we will know more about whether it will be a situation she can live with, or if we should seek a change.

I'm just hoping that rush will be a positive experience and give her lots of new friends.(Thus taking her mind off roommate troubles.) I'll report back later today with her 2nd day impressions.
/hijack/
Over time, my first roommate and I did not get along for various reasons, but the one major problem is that she smoked - a lot - and I have lung problems. She refused to go outside or into someone else's room, and she smoked more than just cigarettes. (Only one dorm at the time was non-smoking, the one that had had a fire the year before.) I didn't realize her smoking habits until we'd already been there for a few weeks, and roommate changes were not allowed after I think the first week.

I think that your daughter should talk to her RA sooner rather than later to find out what her options are, and then to have a frank discussion with the roommate to see if some agreements can be made in certain areas. If they can't come to a compromise, then she can exercise her choice to change (if allowed). Or, perhaps they can try this semester and if things don't work out, change next semester. One thing to remember is that sometimes, we are stuck with people that we just don't get along with. It's a learning experience.

/end hijack/

Old 08-09-2010, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

My husband worked in Residence Life for many years. They will not do anything immediately. Not all of the students have moved in yet. They will wait for that to happen and then for the dust to settle to figure out where the openings are and then assess all of the move changes that have been requested. All she can do right now is put in for a room change and then wait.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Update

I heard from ""Emma" two hours ago, but have been very busy at work today and couldn't get away for a few minutes until now to provide you with a quick update.

Emma enjoyed the six groups she visited today even more than the groups she visited yesterday. The groups she liked the most were the Diamondbacks, the Giants, and the Cubs. She also visited the Padres, the Rockies, and the Angels. The Diamondbacks are definitely her early favorite.

As soon as the parties were over, her Pi Chi group went to the computer lab where they prioritized their choices.

She then went to eat lunch with a new friend she met during Camp War Eagle who is also going though recruitment. Tomorrow, first thing in the morning, the PNM's will find out who they are invited back to for the next round.

The blister problem must not have been too bad today, since she didn't mention it (or maybe she was in too much of hurry to meet her friend for lunch)

If I learn more tonight, I'll post again.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Just had to add the obligatory ...not sure if it is a regional thing, but sheesh does school start EARLY for some people on this forum! My college move-in didn't even kick off until after/around Labor Day weekend!

Good luck to your daughter!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for making this thread, AuburnDad. For those of us who are counting down the days until recruitment starts, it's very helpful/exciting to hear about your daughter's!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

AuburnDad, so glad that things are off to a good start with your daughter!

AUMom2010, last year my daughter had similar problems with her suitemates at Auburn. The girls were only sharing a bathroom, but my daughter and her roommate felt like they shouldn't have to also share that bathroom with a host of random guys (especially when suitemate and guy were sharing the shower together.) Smoking is a huge offense in the dorms, but other than that, the RA may not be very helpful. (She certainly wasn't in my daughter's case.) I would certainly encourage your daughter to try and switch roommates, rooms or even dorms if she feels like she can't live with this girl. She may have to be a "squeaky wheel" to get anywhere, though.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnDad View Post
The groups she liked the most were the Diamondbacks, the Giants, and the Cubs. She also visited the Padres, the Rockies, and the Angels. The Diamondbacks are definitely her early favorite.
They must have been wearing their old uniforms!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I have counseled my daughter to try to get along with her roommate and wait till the end of the month, and to try to work out compromises.

As far as recruitment goes, "Cassie" said that today went fine, although she did end up putting 4 of the 7 groups she visited today on her cut list. She felt she had presented herself well in all the groups. She had only one instance of "awkward silence" and that was because her host kept looking away and cutting her eyes over to someone else as if she wanted to get away. She also said that her roommate and several other girls she talked to said that they had lots of awkward moments. She has at least 7 or 8 groups where she feels she could be happy.

We are new to everything Greek, but I am wondering if we have been kidding ourselves about the amount of partying and drinking that goes on in sororities. Almost everyone in her Pi Chi group cut one group because they thought they would not party enough, and that group was one of my daughter's top five.

My belief going into this was that all sororities have some party girls and some girls who drink very little if any, and don't sleep around. Am I wrong?

I will be curious to hear from Auburn dad and get "Emma's" take on the first round.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

there will be partiers and non-partiers in all the sororities. sounds like girls are listening to "tent talk"(gossip) to me.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Since Auburndad has baseball teams, I thought i would go with ice cream flavors.

Her top 12

Cake batter
pralines and pecan
vanilla
chocolate
peach
strawberry
cookies and cream
mint chocolate chip
butter pecan
chocolate almond
chunky monkey
cookie dough

--------------------------
cookies and cream
rocky road
fudge ripple
jamoca
pistachio
Old 08-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

aumom, the girls in the Pi Chi group may think they 'cut' that group but it may well show up on their schedules tomorrow because they too will be cut!

But...yes, the groups have a mixture of partiers and more serious girls. Of my 6 Greek daughters, 3 were the 'designated drivers' and that was fine by them. All of Auburn's groups are so big now that there's a huge range of personalities in each one!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Auburn Dad... so glad the Giants are in it ( and the Cubbies too)! And glad Emma had a good day!

Au Mom I agree with carnation, my daughter went to a school that is considered a " 'party school" and she is not a drinker. She too was a DD for events, she got along just fine, in fact she ended up as the chapter President.

I'm excited to see what houses both ladies get back tomorrow.

GPhiB