GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,596
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, hannahyanexto75
» Online Users: 1,411
0 members and 1,411 guests
No Members online

Old 05-29-2009, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard much talk about the massive cuts at IU and how they can generate a lot of bitterness. I've got a very good friend who rushed at IU and got heavily cut, and I've never heard her say a positive word about any sorority there, even my own. So it seems that the Greek community and the general community are very segregated. Can any IU student or someone familiar with the campus shed light on this? Do Greeks and those not affiliated interact, or are sorority members segregated as a community?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

There's different groups as far as women at IU, and I'm sure there are these groups on every campus.
1. Greeks
2. Girls who got emotionally invested in houses and then got cut and are very bitter
3. Girls who got cut but understand that the odds are against everyone and it didn't end up working out for them. And aren't bitter
4. Non-Greeks who respect the Greek community but it isn't for them
5. Non-Greeks who have stereotypical view of Greeks and don't respect us.

The number of women who get cut is pretty big. 1640 women registered for Rush. About 800 get bids. There were 150 women this year that attended Pref Round but didn't get a bid. ...
The thing is that every house can only take X number of girls but they still have full rounds for the parties so you get really invested in a house and then they cut you.
It would be difficult NOT to be bitter if you get cut. But there are wonderful groups on campus and it would be wrong not to say that they are bad houses.

We interact with non-greeks every day. Classes (obviously), clubs, and everyone has close friends that aren't Greek. And our philanthropies are open to all students. We obviously want the most involvement as possible.

The big thing is that Greek houses are cloistered in two main areas of campus- "3rd Street" and "North Jordan/Extension." These houses were built before the dorms were. So they're in separate locations. Therefore there isn't a lot of interaction outside of classes ect.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 PM

Questions (for IUGreekGrl):

The women who attend Pref and don't get bids, do they have full schedules?

Like, do they attend 3 Pref parties (whatever the max is for IU) and STILL go bidless?

If so, that's really rough. It's rough for ANYONE to go bidless, but to go all the way though and attend a full day of Prefs and not be placed anywhere must be heartbreaking.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUGreekGirl View Post
Ok GCers, lets try to stay on topic.
If you think some one is out of line then you can PM them, lambasting people for comments that come off as offensive doesn't have a place in this thread.
Lol at newbie trying to tell people how they should be on GC.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I rushed at IU in the mid 90's.. wow, I graduated 13 years ago. I was an ADpi there, currently the house that is half full. When I rushed, we had a full house. The pledge class under me had 39 member, I believe and then we took another 12 in spring rush. It was great.
We also did 19 houses, then 14, then 9, then 5 then 3 for preference. I think before I graduated we then did the 19, 12 etc and now I see they are back to the 14 houses. IU is very cut-throat and its crazy to be on the both sides to see what goes on.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Questions (for IUGreekGrl):

The women who attend Pref and don't get bids, do they have full schedules?

Like, do they attend 3 Pref parties (whatever the max is for IU) and STILL go bidless?

If so, that's really rough. It's rough for ANYONE to go bidless, but to go all the way though and attend a full day of Prefs and not be placed anywhere must be heartbreaking.

[/QUOTE]

When I was there, alot of girls did attend 3 pref parties but would suicide to one house therefore, high chance of going bidless. There were two girls on my floor that went to three houses and didn't get bids. These were two girls that were able to cut houses first two rounds so they were getting full cards each round.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Lol at newbie trying to tell people how they should be on GC.
I'm going to duck because I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I believe that IUGirl showed a great deal of maturity for making that suggestion.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't imagine how difficult it must be for these women to even start the recruitment process knowing what the odds are. I know the experience would have crushed me at that age. Does the school have any special counseling services set up for the women who end up bidless?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megmc View Post
What for the record IS QFP anyway? ha ha ha! You guys are crackin' me up over here, I gotta tells ya's alls. Almost want to write a thinly veiled novel about it...would be CLASSIC fo sho.
fo sho? crackin'? Seriously?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

I know that I'm terribly late to this thread, but 150 bidless women, after being asked to Prefs? NPC has put together too many safeguards to keep this from happening to allow this to be a more than one year statistic?

Are the chapters using the Release numbers? Has suiciding been penalized? Having over a hundred women upset because they didn't get a bid to one of twenty (nineteen?) sororities is about 100 too many, IMHO. Placing only 52% of the women who sign up for Recruitment is a nasty percentage, and just as the campus Panhellenic was somewhat forced into accepting NPC "suggestions", there needs to be a meeting of the minds at IU.

Unless, of course, they start putting in several more sets of bunk beds or sleeping porches into each house.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't have a statistic on whether those 150 girls have full 3 party. I would assume that stat is inclusive of girls that have 1,2, or full pref rounds though.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Indiana

Honeychile---check your messages.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I know that I'm terribly late to this thread, but 150 bidless women, after being asked to Prefs? NPC has put together too many safeguards to keep this from happening to allow this to be a more than one year statistic?

Are the chapters using the Release numbers? Has suiciding been penalized? Having over a hundred women upset because they didn't get a bid to one of twenty (nineteen?) sororities is about 100 too many, IMHO. Placing only 52% of the women who sign up for Recruitment is a nasty percentage, and just as the campus Panhellenic was somewhat forced into accepting NPC "suggestions", there needs to be a meeting of the minds at IU.

Unless, of course, they start putting in several more sets of bunk beds or sleeping porches into each house.
Isn't it because IU only lets chapters bid what they can actually house?

I personally find this an asinine rule, mainly because (not that I've been to IU or seen the houses) unless all houses have the same number of beds, then it truly wouldn't be "fair" on chapter size. It just seems that if one chapter has a house that can bed 100 women and another can only bed 30, obviously the one that can only bed 30 is at a disadvantage with the chapter that can bed 100.

Are most of the houses at IU around the same size when it comes to "beds"? Do most of the houses just have sleeping porches?

Now, I know that chapter sizes vary per campuses, but at least the ones here in AZ have the set total and the set quota. (Again, I also understand that chapters can be above total, although the whole going over total with quota confuses me, but that is a whole other thread).

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 05-30-2009, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Again, IU works on bed quota. It's a terrible way of doing things, we know this. But we can't change it.
But small houses are actually at an advantage because it makes it more competitive to get a bed spot.

Every house is different sized. Most have cold dorms (sleeping porches) but you can still have only so many desks/closets in the day rooms.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUGreekGirl View Post
Again, IU works on bed quota. It's a terrible way of doing things, we know this. But we can't change it.
But small houses are actually at an advantage because it makes it more competitive to get a bed spot.

Every house is different sized. Most have cold dorms (sleeping porches) but you can still have only so many desks/closets in the day rooms.
who can't change it? panhellenic? the sororities? the administration?

has it ever been suggested that it change or does everyone just assume that since that is the way it has been since the ice age, that changes aren't allowed?