GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,577
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annagoolet2907
» Online Users: 1,415
1 members and 1,414 guests
No Members online

Old 08-03-2012, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It's been SOP here for decades. It's sort of like what my Cajun relatives say a Cajun boy will ask a Cajun girl when he meets her for the first time:

1) Can you make a roux (Cajun cooking begins with a good roux)
2) Can you speak French (most of his relatives probably don't speak English)
3) Who's your daddy (I need to know who your people are)

Your rec tells us that.
In Mississippi, it's:

1) Where are you from;
2) Where do you go to Church; and
3) What was your mother's maiden name.

Or at least it was when I was when I was growing up. Whoops and also, "Dogs or Rebels?"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-03-2012, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyKKGviaFlorida View Post
...But my goodness, the chapters must be receiving hundreds if not thousands of recs every Fall. ..
Yes, they do. The sheer amount of paper that comes in is mindblowing. It's a daily trip to the Post Office throughout the summer and that person usually picks up a box + of mail because it won't fit in the PO Box. The simple task of just opening a day's worth of Rec mail takes a ridiculous amount of time.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
Yes, they do. The sheer amount of paper that comes in is mindblowing. It's a daily trip to the Post Office throughout the summer and that person usually picks up a box + of mail because it won't fit in the PO Box. The simple task of just opening a day's worth of Rec mail takes a ridiculous amount of time.
Oy, vey. Does anyone know of groups going to electronic systems for this? Perhaps I could make big bucks if I could write software that somehow made it easy to verify the source of the rec (in lieu of a signature).
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Most groups do take electronic ones. It's just by the time you scan the photo and the transcript and fill out the form online, you could hand write it about as fast. I tried that once and went back to the old fashioned way.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Oy, vey. Does anyone know of groups going to electronic systems for this? Perhaps I could make big bucks if I could write software that somehow made it easy to verify the source of the rec (in lieu of a signature).
Kappa Alpha Theta has electronic submission available, and it even routes the letter of reference through the nearest Recruitment Reference Board if applicable. I love it! I'm sure more groups are heading to this solution if they don't have it already.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 AM

AOII's electronic form doesn't make you scan anything. Just click and upload a digital photo. Of course the PNM has to provide a digital photo, but that was no problem.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm talking about having hard copies from the PNM. Probably just a Southern thing that we like to do the handoff in person. And don't clog up my hard drive....
Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
AOII's electronic form doesn't make you scan anything. Just click and upload a digital photo. Of course the PNM has to provide a digital photo, but that was no problem.
Yes- and I love receiving the electronic recs! I also love that AOII had chapters set up specific email addresses just for the recs. So you don't have to wade through all kinds of other emails to find one.

I cannot even imagine handling the recs that come in for Alabama.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 08-03-2012, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, this freaked me out as a rec writer.

Can you Bama folks reassure me that we shouldn't consider it a race to get recs in early?

You still review all recs received, correct?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

They do review them all but do prefer to get them as early as possible. Right now, they are at 1924 PNMs....
Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
In Mississippi, it's:

1) Where are you from;
2) Where do you go to Church; and
3) What was your mother's maiden name.

Or at least it was when I was when I was growing up. Whoops and also, "Dogs or Rebels?"
Oh my. There is so much truth to this that I burst out laughing when I read it. I believe I have had this conversation with almost every PNM that I ever talked too. Oh the joy of being from Mississippi where everyone is separated by 3 degrees at most.

And... the answer to the fourth question is always Dogs.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Yes! Hail State!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

It has been my experience that the early recs get seen more throughout the summer and those names become "familiar". Also, any recs that arrive days before or during work week are easily overlooked because things are already clipping along - the machine is already cranking!

So, get those recs in as early as possible for those uber competitive recruitments!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't forget that under RFM, the bigger chapters have to release more...and they can't wait until that night to review the recs. Advance knowledge helps them move more quickly through the list.
Another reason recs are more important than ever.
What makes me gnash my teeth is that some are so concerned about privacy that they won't give you the grades when they request a rec.
After mama and daddy's names, team preference and dogs' names, that's the first thing I want to know.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I have refused to research a rec for a chapter that refused to tell me whether the PNM met their grade requirement. Why should I do that work when she may not even made the grade cut? Nope, not doing.