GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,433
1 members and 2,432 guests
g41965

Old 11-15-2012, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Go spring or wait for fall?

I am currently a freshman in college. Prior to my first weeks at the University I attend, I knew little about Greek life (besides, regretfully, the rumors) and hadn't even considered going through recruitment. I was always involved in high school (I was on pomline, did musical theatre, was a drama troupe officer, joined NHS, started a recycling program, and swam on top of AP courses) but wanted to make a smooth adjustment academically into college. Now that I'm almost done with my first semester, I wish I had known more about the Greek system, and I really want to join a sorority. My university is offering both an informal spring rush (for some sororities) and of course formal in the fall. So, here is my question:
Because I was focused on transitioning academically, I did little this semester besides go to school, go to work, and volunteer. While my grades are coming out stunning (mostly A's and a few B's), I recognize that my extracurriculars this first semester of college are limited to volunteering with Down Syndrome kids (putting on a formal dance with high school students in which each student partners with a Down Syndrome student and gives them the night of their life!), mentoring a former high school teammate in a church setting, and working in local schools. Would it be okay to go through spring recruitment with great grades and limited extracurriculars, or would it be smart of me to get more involved on campus next semester and go through recruitment in the fall? I recongnize that there is no perfect answer, but any thoughts are appreciated! Thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

It won't hurt you to go through spring recruitment, but your options for chapters may be limited. Depending on the school you attend, your options as a sophomore going through in the fall may be limited as well, so this may be a moot point. Spring recruitment may be a chance for you to get your feet wet and get to know some sorority women. If you fall in love with a chapter and get a bid, great. if you don't, no big deal, just go through in the fall. It doesn't preclude you from formal recruitment.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Limited extracurriculars?
That doesn't sound limited to me. It sounds wonderful!
However, I wouldn't say the grades are stunning.
All As = stunning
As and Bs = very good

Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Awww, I was once an Okie far from home, too. I think you've put yourself in a good position for either fall or spring, but I don't think it will hurt to go through spring rush. It's usually a lot more casual and low pressure, and as others have said, it won't really hurt you for fall rush. Read through the boards here, especially pertaining to your school and brush up on your conversation skills. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you ladies!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Be sure to find out if recommendations are needed at your school, and round some up if they are.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

IF you are going to the University of Arizona (DON'T TELL US, please!!!) you won't be hurt if you go through recruitment as a sophomore. There are going to be chapters holding spring recruitment rush in spring 2013 and when I know what those are, I'll post it here on GC.

RUMOR on the street is that there may be a few chapters at UofA that do NOT take sophomores or juniors, but it is RUMOR. There are no absolutes.

Another point: Alpha Chi Omega will be returning to UofA Fall 2013 (woohooooo!!!!).

Whatever you do, good luck! Hope that you find a home and enjoy your membership.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-15-2012, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

You're doing plenty of extracurriculars and you have good grades. Check out informal recruitment to meet some Greeks and then go through formal in the fall.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

The good news about informal rush is you get a more personal experience and you can get started with your sorority life sooner than if you wait until the fall. The bad news is you don't get to see all of the sororities (and that's not necessarily bad, especially if you are at a school with a lot of sororities). But if you are interested in joining a sisterhood and status is not your top concern, informal rush can be great. I would recommend you put your interest out there to the Greek Life office and to the sorority women you know. Depending on your school, some sororities will actively advertise to get girls to come to their events, and some will keep it way on the down low, so you need to let people know you're interested, not just respond to advertisements, emails, facebook posts, etc. Just be aware, there is a difference between letting your friends or reasonable acquaintances know you are interested in hearing about rush opportunities, and stalking them or asking them 40 times a day about it or becoming besties just so you can get invited to the right parties.

And if informal doesn't go as you'd like it to, you can always try again in the fall. Just remember that more choices doesn't necessarily improve your outcome or your feelings about your outcome. You'll see from reading threads here that girls go through rush, get their first choice and 2 weeks later are talking about dropping because they made the wrong choice. Or worse, they go through formal and get their 2nd choice. So don't assume that by going through formal and being placed that you will feel any more certain about your decision than if you informal rush one chapter.

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
We typically advise women to join at their first opportunity. I highly recommend going through spring rush. The worst that happens is it doesn't work out, and you go through again in the fall. It will not hurt you to do both, unless of course you do something totally ridiculous and rude at one of the spring-recruiting chapters.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that your extracurriculars are fine. The downside to spring recruitment is that only a limited number of chapters will be participating. The upside is that you get to know the girls in a more relaxed setting. There is no penalty should you decide afterward to wait for full recruitment in the fall.

Recruitment is fun (a bit stressful, but fun.) Go ahead and enjoy yourself in the spring! You might make your match.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all again for your input. As an update, I finished my first semester with a 4.0!!! Anyways, I do have another quick question. My school will be holding an informational fair soon on Spring recruitment, and I was wondering what sort of dress would be acceptable? I've found tons of threads here about how to dress for Fall recruitment, but not much on a Spring table fair. I was thinking something along the lines of khakis, a J Crew sweater, flats, and pearls as it is still cold here. Is this possibly too casual? Thank you!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Call your Greek Life office and ask them. That's your best resource for your campus. And congrats on the 4.0!