GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 1,977
1 members and 1,976 guests
FrankJScott

Old 12-13-2012, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Dropping out of recruitment/doing COB the semester following?

I go to a school that does deferred recruitment in January. I DID sign up for recruitment but my grades are coming in and I'm personally not too satisfied where I am. My GPA is above the requirement in order to go through recruitment but I personally need an extra semester to become more acclimated to college and get more involved.
We haven't gone through recruitment yet so I don't see how this could hurt me necessarily in the long run but I would love for your input?

I do know the sororities at my university are friendly towards upperclassmen and do take upperclassmen. I'll even take this opportunity to get to know more greek women! But I want to be 100% academically, mentally and emotionally ready before I go through recruitment or even involve myself in such a commitment.

Advice?

Thank you
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM

The impression I got from your posts is that the deferred rush coming up in January is formal rush - i.e. the first chance freshmen get to rush and see all the sororities. Also you are in the South. (maybe not SEC south, but still the south)

As much as I hate to advise this, I would not postpone it. All the sororities may not have open spots in the fall and you could be severely limiting your options - unless you waited until the NEXT formal rush.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I would always recommend pledging at your first possible opportunity. If your grades are good enough that you won't be considered a grade risk, then they're good. My guess is you're starting to panic and you're thinking about ways to get out of it.

There are some things in life where there's no amount of prep that is going to prepare you for what's ahead. Knowing everything there is to know about sororities and sorority women is NOT going to make this process easier for you. All you're doing is making friends! Just relax and charge forward.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

So I talked to my sister who is in a sorority at a completely different university and she convinced me to continue with recruitment! I also talked to a few different sorority girls who just so happen to be lifelong friends but they go to schools like Arkansas and OU & they told me to just go through.
I also figured it would be a waste not to because there were girls from various sororities who reached out to me during the first semester, which pretty much means I was on their radar. And I sat near an upperclassmen in one sorority and she'd always try to make sure I could hang out with her during her sorority meet and greets or whatever.

I want to post a story once recruitment is over but I think I'll hold off just because I don't want to give away too much info as to where I am.

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad to hear you've decided to go through. It's a good idea to hold off on the story for now but please come back and tell us how things went. We'll be happy to hear about it.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck to you and enjoy the experience!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where old Sorority Girls go, pearls still included!!
Send a message via AIM to BadSquirrelBeta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
I'm glad to hear you've decided to go through. It's a good idea to hold off on the story for now but please come back and tell us how things went. We'll be happy to hear about it.

Best of luck to you!
Me too! And, as Greek grades are generally higher than all campus averages, pledging may be just what you are looking for to get that extra edge on your grades...study table, accountability and such...I know I always worked harder to get the grades I did to keep ahead of the curve in regard to grade requirements.

Best wishes! Keep us informed and have fun!!