GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,143
1 members and 2,142 guests
FrankJScott

Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

UNC sophomore rush

Hey I'm thinking about rushing next fall at UNC and will be a sophomore. I really regret not rushing this past fall as it was something I really wanted to do but got really worried about my grades and a little insecure and decided not to. However, now I'm realizing that I shouldn't have held myself back and would like to give it a try. I don't really have any close friends in sororities but I do know a few girls here and there. What should I expect and do you have any kind of advice?

Thanks <3
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Is this UNC Chapel Hill? Great school, great college area!

Are you familiar with recommendations or "recs"? These are formal recommendations sent in by sorority alumnae on your behalf. There is a thread on Greek Chat that lists schools where they are mandatory to be considered for membership. UNC is listed in the "Up for Debate" category as to whether or not they're needed. UNC's Panhellenic website has a section about them. http://www.uncpanhellenic.com/recrui...ation-letters/ They say they are not required, but I do a lot of these recs and my rule of thumb is -- if a school's Panhellenic website devotes a section to them, play it safe and get them.

Ask every woman you know who attended college if she is a sorority alumnae and if she'll give you a recommendation. She needn't be an alum of the actual chapter at UNC, just an alum of the sorority. She could have attended school anywhere. Ask relatives, friends of your mother, former teachers, women you know from church, those you babysat for, etc. For fall recruitment, recs are generally sent in the summer, so you've got time to line yours up.

Keep your grades up and go into recruitment with a strong GPA. Have you been involved in any activities this year? If not, see if there is something you can get involved with this semester. This demonstrates a desire to be a participant in things -- and you might even meet some more sorority members.

Best wishes to you!

Last edited by greekdee; 01-02-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Posted website link twice -- removed one. :)
Old 01-03-2013, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

You also might want to check with the Greek Life Office to see if there are any sororities holding Informal Recruitment events or Continuous Open Bidding this spring. It sounds like you are really regretting not getting involved earlier, and this could be a chance to do something sooner, if there are any chapters participating. Then if that doesn’t happen, you would have time to prepare for the fall and get the recs, as Greekdee suggested.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
You also might want to check with the Greek Life Office to see if there are any sororities holding Informal Recruitment events or Continuous Open Bidding this spring. It sounds like you are really regretting not getting involved earlier, and this could be a chance to do something sooner, if there are any chapters participating. Then if that doesn’t happen, you would have time to prepare for the fall and get the recs, as Greekdee suggested.
Great suggestion!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

They do have Spring Recruitment -- info says all chapters will participate and the calendar says it is January 28!

http://www.uncpanhellenic.com/recrui...3-recruitment/

Why don't you look into this and start your Greek experience sooner instead of later?

Last edited by greekdee; 01-03-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

The past few years (don't know if it's still true) UNC had a fairly significant sophomore quota. The University had been pressuring Panhel to adopt a deferred rush. The sophomore quota was increased to try to encourage students to wait and not feel pressured to rush first year. If still true, you'll see quite a few sophomores in each chapter's pledge class. Good luck in the spring or fall and please keep us posted!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I've noticed that quite a few schools in North Carolina have deferred recruitment for both sororities and fraternities. It really does have its pros.