GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,559
0 members and 2,559 guests
No Members online

Old 01-04-2013, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

How to get Recommendation letters if you're from out of state?

I will be attending FSU In the fall (Yay!). I am hoping to join a sorority but feel a bit nervous/worried. I'm from Massachusetts and really don't know anyone from Florida. How am I going to get recommendation letters and what are some suggestions? I would appreciate any help offered. Thank you in advance!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Letters do not have to be from the university or state of the university you are going to attend. They can be from a person who went to a university in Massachusetts with no connections to FSU other than being a member of a chapter represented at FSU.

Example: Aunt Amy was a AAA at U of Mass. She can write a letter for AAA even though she has never been to Florida.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
You don't need recommendations from alumnae in Florida. You need to get recommendations from alumnae you know and who know you. Try asking friends of your parents, parents of your friends, women at your place of worship, women where you work. And when you find a sorority alumna ask her if she can put you in touch with others. You can also ask male friends if they know any sorority members.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh my gosh I'm freaking out! I have lived my whole life in a small town in Mass. and never thought to ask anyone if they belonged to a sorority. I better get moving! Thank you for the help.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

If all else fails, and there is a sorority that you just can't find an alumna to write a recommendation for, try contacting your local Panhellenic Alumnae Association.

We live for each other.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I would suggest reading this thread to get a better handle on and where to find letter:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

Ask your mom, aunts, friend's parents, teachers, former babysitters, coworkers to see if they are/know someone who is a member. I thought I knew very few women had joined a sorority, but I have found so many and still find new people in my life who I have known for years that are sorority women.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgirl77 View Post
Oh my gosh I'm freaking out! I have lived my whole life in a small town in Mass. and never thought to ask anyone if they belonged to a sorority. I better get moving! Thank you for the help.
Don't freak out. It's good that you are starting now. Just start asking around among family friends, teachers, place of worship if applicable, etc. If you go to a small high school, be sure you are asking your female AND male teachers. Fraternity men can often point you in the right direction.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Well if all of the help I'm already getting is any indication of what sorority life is like, all I can say is, I can't wait! Thank you all so much!!!! )))
Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck during your recruitment!

We live for each other.