GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,493
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Tc2287
» Online Users: 2,070
1 members and 2,069 guests
TrueBlueKappa

Old 04-18-2006, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment at Western IL

My little sister is going to Western Illinois University in the fall and I was wondering if anyone had any information on when recruitment happens there, and what she can expect. The school website was less than helpfull.

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-18-2006, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Frog (Jess) and I both went to WIU. I graduated in the early 90's, but have worked with a couple of girls who are either still on campus or have just graduated.

WIU's a strange campus. There's not a lot to do in Macomb, and it's in the middle of nowhere, so you'd think Greek life would be huge. You'd be wrong. I don't think it's a priority for the administration. They wouldn't allow greeks on campus until the mid-1940's.

Formal rush is usually the second or third weekend in September; I'm not sure of the date. Currently, there are six groups on campus. Rush is not really competitive; you don't need recs, but they couldn't hurt. I *think* quota last year was in the high teens or low twenties. Contrast this with Eastern Illinois University's quota of over 40. There have been rumors that one chapter is in trouble; I don't know how true that is, and I won't post which chapter it is. I will tell you that WIU has lost 3 chapters in the last 20 or so years.

The groups on campus are:

Alpha Sigma Tau
Chi Omega
Delta Zeta
Phi Sigma Sigma
Sigma Kappa
Sigma Sigma Sigma

PM me if you want any more info. Jess, can you add anything?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chitownxo
There's not a lot to do in Macomb, and it's in the middle of nowhere, so you'd think Greek life would be huge. You'd be wrong.
Wow, you weren't kidding. I found: Sorority members: 8%

Source: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/col...1780_brief.php
Old 04-19-2006, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

She needs to start looking for Recruitment Info/signups about the 2nd, 3rd or 4th week of class.

It's extremely non-competitive, and recs are definitely not needed. DO NOT go and buy any new clothes for recruitment, unless you just feel like buying yourself something new. (Besides, your choices for clothes-shopping in Macomb are Maurice's, JC Penny, Wal-mart and Kmart).

Your first night of rush, you will meet your Recruitment Counselor and be divided in to groups. They will explain the rest of the rush process that night. The second and third night you will meet 3 sororities. They are usually wearing standard recruitment tshirts (all of the sororities get the same ones, with their letters) and jean skirts. Dress casually (actually, that night I had just come from guard practice and was wearing practice clothes). Second round is slightly more dressy. Third round is dressy, but not formal dressy. Something you would wear to church.

My number one piece of advice would be: BE YOURSELF. There is NO need to put on any sort of act. I would say 90%-95% of all the Greeks I ever met from Western are totally down to earth REAL people. You might find 20 Tiffany bracelets and 35 Coach or Kate Spade bags among all 6 sororities.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

things have changed at LOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiGal
My little sister is going to Western Illinois University in the fall and I was wondering if anyone had any information on when recruitment happens there, and what she can expect. The school website was less than helpfull.

Thanks!
Have you seen the school's updated Greek Life website?
http://www.student.services.wiu.edu/osa/greeklife/

Here are the recruitment dates and information straight from the website:

Panhellenic Council (Sorority) Recruitment
Sorority recruitment for fall 2006 will begin on August 31 and continues until September 18. To participate in sorority recruitment, you must have achieved a 2.5 cumulative GPA at WIU or be an entering first year student with a comparable high school GPA. First year students on OAS status are not eligible to participate in recruitment

During sorority recruitment, you will have the opportunity to learn about and visit each chapter multiple times before selecting the chapters where you want to become a member. Each potential member will be assigned a recruitment guide, who is a current sorority woman volunteering to assist with the entire recruitment process. Recruitment culminates with bid day on September 18, when women receive a bid for membership.

The cost to register for recruitment is $25.00 and registration is online. The registration fee covers the cost of all food and drink you receive during recruitment, provides for buses to transport you to chapter houses, and gets you a Panhellenic t-shirt.

You can register for sorority recruitment here. Registration closes at 11:59 pm on Sunday, September 10.

For more information about participating in fraternity or sorority recruitment, attend the Greek 101 sessions scheduled for August 21 and 24 in the University Union. Look for more information in your orientation schedule.

This site also has links to all of the chapter websites, which may be helpful:
http://www.student.services.wiu.edu/...t/councils.asp

I hope this helps and keep us posted!

Last edited by owlie33; 08-17-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownxo
I don't think it's a priority for the administration. They wouldn't allow greeks on campus until the mid-1940's.
I think all of this has changed dramatically. By no stretch of the imagination is the administration anti-greek, in fact the President's daughter is greek from her undergrad.

Over all, XiGal, just have your sis keep an open mind. Greek Life @ WIU is what you make it!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlie33
I think all of this has changed dramatically. By no stretch of the imagination is the administration anti-greek, in fact the President's daughter is greek from her undergrad.

Over all, XiGal, just have your sis keep an open mind. Greek Life @ WIU is what you make it!

I think Al's been good for Western. I took a class with him when it was his first year as President, and he was awesome. Plus, it gives the Marching Band a reason to play "You Can Call Me Al".
Old 07-26-2006, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Are ya'll still at the house on Wigwam Hollow?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an alumna, but Chi Omega, Alpha Sigma Tau and Phi Sigma Sigma are all on Wigwam Hollow.

Last edited by owlie33; 08-17-2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

If you don't mind me asking, what year did you pledge?
Old 07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=owlie33]Have you seen the school's updated Greek Life website?
http://www.student.services.wiu.edu/osa/greeklife/

I'm glad they've finally updated the Greek Life website; it was long overdue for a face lift.

I am a member of Chi O's Fall, 1986 Iota pledge class - way back when we still lived in Washington Hall. Glad to see the chapter is still active.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to all the PNMs at Western Illinois!
Old 08-17-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog
Are ya'll still at the house on Wigwam Hollow?
That name made me laugh
Old 08-17-2006, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes
That name made me laugh
Most of Wigwam Hollow's side streets are Native American names.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone hear anything yet about approx. #s? Applications for Recruitment are due Sept. 10th.

Side note: Best wishes to Dr. Goldfarb on his recovery!!!