GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,817
1 members and 1,816 guests
Titchou

Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Texas Bid Day

Hey, longhorns - a friend who has a daughter going through recruitment this year has heard that moms come to bid day - is that the case?
Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes...I know of several Moms who were there last year. Both legacy and non-legacy Moms. It was that way in the 80's too. Not sure if it varies from chapter to chapter, but I know several are there.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Some mothers come but they're in the minority and many are legacy moms. It definitely isn't like the places in the south where there's a big party with moms and other family members welcome and encouraged to come. The time spent at the house on bid day is minimal, with the chapters taking their new members elsewhere for fun. Moms are definitely not invited to those activities so if you're from far away it's a long trip for a short period of time. It can get a little awkward if your mom doesn't get it.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

This is what my friend wrote:

"When we were at Orientation the other week a friend of mine was told that all the moms go to bid day to take pictures. And if you weren’t there your daughter would be the only one without her mom. I find this hard to believe but wanted to check with the pro’s to see if you knew anyone at UT and if this was true. I would not want (daughter) to be the ONLY one/"

Does it vary widely? I'm thinking the person saying this may have a daughter in one of the houses that is big on it - or maybe it's just a "take a picture" thing, and then they go?
Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
This is what my friend wrote:

"When we were at Orientation the other week a friend of mine was told that all the moms go to bid day to take pictures. And if you weren’t there your daughter would be the only one without her mom. I find this hard to believe but wanted to check with the pro’s to see if you knew anyone at UT and if this was true. I would not want (daughter) to be the ONLY one/"

Does it vary widely? I'm thinking the person saying this may have a daughter in one of the houses that is big on it - or maybe it's just a "take a picture" thing, and then they go?
Will she be the only one? Absolutely not.

Do lots of Moms from Dallas, Houston, SA, etc... come to some of the houses? Definitely yes. There were dads, aunts, sisters there too.

Do they have a big family-style dinner like some of the Alabama (or other big school) houses? Definitely No. (unless that's changed, but based on what LL said...no)

Does it vary widely by chapter? Probably. My personal experience is coming off of a few chapters, but it was definitely a majority in terms of parents vs. non. However, there is SO much going on that day, that it's not like the NM will be sitting in a corner pouting to herself! She'll be in the photos that the moms and actives (and photographer) are taking!

ETA: I can ask my friends who were there last year (for nieces and daughters of theirs) and find out for sure on the meal/party thing, but I'm going with what LL said on a big no for that one!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
Some mothers come but they're in the minority and many are legacy moms. It definitely isn't like the places in the south where there's a big party with moms and other family members welcome and encouraged to come. The time spent at the house on bid day is minimal, with the chapters taking their new members elsewhere for fun. Moms are definitely not invited to those activities so if you're from far away it's a long trip for a short period of time. It can get a little awkward if your mom doesn't get it.
This sounds like maybe moms come "for their daughter" but when all the chapters leave the houses, the moms repair to the nearest alcoholic establishment together to say "thank God this is over" with a tequila shot or two.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

As a UT sorority alumna, mom of a recent UT sorority grad and current advisor to my chapter at UT, I just wanted to confirm the answers above. I can't speak for all chapters at UT, but some moms and other family members attend (I did), along with local alumnae, to greet the new member class and take pictures. While our chapter welcomes family members on bid day, there is no formal meal or activities planned for them.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This sounds like maybe moms come "for their daughter" but when all the chapters leave the houses, the moms repair to the nearest alcoholic establishment together to say "thank God this is over" with a tequila shot or two.
Hahaha! This is totally the case!
Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Hilarious! This is very, very true!!
My daughter went through recruitment 2 years ago and I went..mostly to be supportive to her if she needed me. Once bids are given out, the new members go to their respective houses and the moms or whomever go there too. We were given a house tour and refreshments and then left. I know that most of the chapters have bid day activites planned for the girls....this would be the time mom needs to head over to Ables and start drinking..lol
Old 07-03-2012, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't know quite where this fits so I'll put it here. Word on the street is that UT is expecting between 1300 and 1400 going through recruitment this year. A MAJOR increase over the past few years. Hope it comes true! If indeed it is the case, there will be some big pledge classes. I know chapter total went up this year so it appears to me the Greek Life is on the move.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I have several friends whose daughters rushed UT last year and the year before, and all of them came up for the entire week. I presume they helped them get ready and then gave them a sounding block when they got home, calmed their nerves, made sure they were properly nourished, and enjoyed the mother/daughter bonding. Most said it was the most stressful week of their lives -haha. I also saw tons of moms' photos of bid day on facebook, so I would say, yes, not only do moms come for bid day, but for the entire rush week as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrief View Post
I have several friends whose daughters rushed UT last year and the year before, and all of them came up for the entire week. I presume they helped them get ready and then gave them a sounding block when they got home, calmed their nerves, made sure they were properly nourished, and enjoyed the mother/daughter bonding. Most said it was the most stressful week of their lives -haha. I also saw tons of moms' photos of bid day on facebook, so I would say, yes, not only do moms come for bid day, but for the entire rush week as well.
Seriously?
Old 07-10-2012, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds heli-mom ish. What happened to just calling at the end of the night? And I'm guessing an 18 year old knows how to feed herself. Showing up for bid day to take some pictures and congratulate is one thing, but staying the week sounds like overkill in my opinion.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

It's in case they drop out or are released....need mama there.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow I can't imagine going and staying for the whole week of recruitment. Those are some really nice moms! I just hope to hear from my D during the week.