GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,565
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, arbertosusasd45
» Online Users: 2,111
1 members and 2,110 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katybelle04 View Post
To realize that within our grasp, in Zeta Tau Alpha, lies the opportunity to learn those things which will ever enrich and ennoble our lives; to be true to ourselves, to those within and without our circle; to think in terms of all mankind and our service in the world; to be steadfast, strong, and clean of heart and mind, remembering that since the thought is father to the deed, only that which we would have manifested in our experience should be entertained in thought; to find satisfaction in being, rather than seeming, thus strengthening in us the higher qualities of the spirit; to prepare for service and learn the nobility of serving, thereby earning the right to be served; to seek understanding that we might gain true wisdom; to look for the good in everyone; to see beauty, with its enriching influence; to be humble in success, and without bitterness in defeat; to have the welfare and harmony of the Fraternity at heart, striving ever to make our lives a symphony of high ideals, devotion to the Right, the Good, and the True, without a discordant note; remembering always that the foundation precept of Zeta Tau Alpha was Love, “the greatest of all things.” -- Shirley Kreasan Strout

I think the entire thing is beautifully written, but more importantly, incredibly meaningful!
I'm so glad someone bumped this thread! I'd never seen it before, but I enjoyed reading all the other creeds and members' feelings about them.

I love the ZTA creed (obviously I'm biased!) - and like most others, the last line is my favorite. I also like:
-to see beauty, with its enriching influence;
-to be humble in success, and without bitterness in defeat; (that's kind of the jock in me coming out )
-striving ever to make our lives a symphony of high ideals, devotion to the Right, the Good, and the True, without a discordant note; (I like the musicality of this notion)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-18-2010, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

AOII - One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

It just seems to sum it up and, well, be so "simple" and all inclusive. It ties us all together.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been an Alpha Gam for nearly 40 years. At one time or another each element of the Purpose has mean something special. Contributing to the world's work has steered me toward involvement in many civic activities. Cultivate acquaintance/cherish friendships took me a while to fully comprehend; I certainly get it now.....whether people identify me with Alpha Gam is doubtful, but if they do know that I am one, I hope they will have a positive image of the fraternity.

Alpha Gam's slogan is "women with Purpose." In recent issues of the Quarterly there have been essays by sisters about how they exemplify the Purpose in their daily lives.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

(The previous post was getting long.) I am also a P.E.O., so in addition to the AGD Purpose, I have another set of precepts to guide me. My favorite phrases now are in bold.

The Objects and Aims of this sisterhood shall be general improvement, which shall comprehend more thoroughly the following points:

To seek growth in charity toward all with whom we associate and a just comprehension of and adherence to the qualities of Faith, Love, Purity, Justice, and Truth.

To seek growth in knowledge and in culture, and to obtain all possible wisdom from nature, art, books, study, and society, and to radiate all light possible by conversation, by writing, and by the right exercise of any talent we possess.

To aim at self-control, equipoise, and symmetry of character, and temperance in opinion, speech, and habits.

It shall be the chief duty of each member to consider thoughtfully the full import of P.E.O. This will include a sincere regard for our influence in the community, a careful consideration of feeling when speaking, and a determination to do all we can, at all times, and under all circumstances to express a loving concern for each sister.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

And not to forget: the Collect of the General Federation of Women's Clubs. It was written by Mary Stuart of Longmont, Colorado, in 1904.

Keep us, Oh God, from pettiness: let us be large in thought, in word, in deed.
Let us be done with fault-finding, and leave off self seeking.
May we put away all pretense and meet each other face to face, without self pity and without prejudice.
May we never be hasty in judgment and always generous.
Let us take time for all things: make us to grow calm, serene, gentle.
Teach us to put into action our better impulses, straight-forward and unafraid.
Grant that we may realize it is the little things that create differences, that in the big things of life we are at one.
And may we strive to touch and to know the great common human heart of us all, and, Oh Lord God, let us forget not...to be kind!