GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,575
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, aoganttsz2346
» Online Users: 2,167
2 members and 2,165 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 08-09-2005, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

quetstion about transfers

I have a question about trasfer rush. I will be a freshman this fall; however, I am not going through rush. I plan to transfer to a larger, university (UofArkansas to be exact...)for the spring semester, and plan to go through my sophomore year. I am wondering a few things: Is it even okay to rush sophomore year? I know that Greek life is very, very competitive at the school that I will be going to, and it might be difficult to rush as a sophomore. I do have a high GPA (only college classes counted... I'll have 37 hours when I transfer), a 3.6, and plan to be active this fall on my campus where I will be for a short time. Also I've done a lot of volunteer work- you get the idea. Is all of this considered? Another question...if I go through rush, do I still need to send in a portfolio with a college transcript, resume, recommendation letters, and photo? Does this seem desperate lol? (just kidding) I really wanted to rush this fall, but I have a stipend at another college, my family thinks I should at least give it a try, blah blah. You get the idea. Annnyway, Just curious...if someone could answer my queries I'd appreciate it!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2005, 01:59 PM

Regardless of Greek life, why waste a semester at a college when you know you are going to transfer elsewhere? Stipend or no stipend...are you sure your classes will transfer to U of Arkansas? If not, it's completely useless to even go to the first college.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Regardless of Greek life, why waste a semester at a college when you know you are going to transfer elsewhere? Stipend or no stipend...are you sure your classes will transfer to U of Arkansas? If not, it's completely useless to even go to the first college.
Dontcha know, 33girl? It's because her FAMILY says she needs to give it a try.

Do you know how much of a pain in the ass it is to transfer schools? Is your school this fall a part of the Arkansas system or is it affiliated with the school in any way? I don't see the point in taking 5 or 6 classes in the fall and not knowing for sure if those credits are even going to transfer over.

I wouldn't even be concerned about rush right now. I'd be thinking long and hard on whether it's even worth it to go to a school for just a semester if you already know you'll be there for a short period of time.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

argirl....

I'm originally from Arkansas too!! (Didn't go to U of A though...went to Henderson and UCA). If you don't mind me asking, what school are you attending this fall? (PM me if you want).

I echo 33girl's question about whether or not your credits will transfer to U of A. If you are going to a U of A system school, they will transfer. If you aren't, they may not (VERY basic freshman courses have a better chance of transferring than more "specialized" courses).

Honestly, I'm also concerned about you transferring after just one semester of college. Especially at U of A, if you don't start with the freshman class and you don't have a "ready made" group to fall into (band, an athletic team, etc.), you could wind up feeling lost and not connected on campus (per my friends who did attend). I think that would be hard to do in the middle of a school year.

HOWEVER...this is your decision...I know that I originally planned to be at HSU for only one year and planned to transfer out of state to a school I originally wanted to go to. I went to HSU because family wanted me closer and it was cheaper (it wasn't my first choice). I fell in love with the place and never left. It was a great fit for me.

If you do decide to transfer to U of A, I know that Alpha Omicron Pi will be colonizing in 2006, so they will be looking for well qualified women of all ages. I'm not familiar with the recruitment at U of A, so I don't know if COB is an option in the spring or what. And yes, if you do recruitment at U of A as a sophomore, you would still follow their recruitment procedures regarding transcripts, etc.

Feel free to PM me with more info if you want. Good Luck!!

PsychTau
Old 08-09-2005, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
I wouldn't even be concerned about rush right now. I'd be thinking long and hard on whether it's even worth it to go to a school for just a semester if you already know you'll be there for a short period of time.
Too true.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I echo what OTW and 33girl said.

I also would caution you about making a decision to transfer before you even begin. If you go in with a mind that says " I'm leaving at semester" you are, in all likelyhood, not going to enjoy yourself. If you truly are going to transfer give yourself a full year at the first school, try activities and while you might prepare your papers and apply to transfrer, you need to keep an open mind and see if you can find a 'home' (I don't mean necessarily a greek home, but a group of friends, or something that give you a sense of connection).

If you are going to transfer, don't worry about rush. If it works it works, if it doesn't then the marbles did not fall right for you and there are other ways to find connection at college. Greek life is not LIFE, it is simply one aspect and your education is much more important. I would first sort out where you will attend and find friends, then I would worry about Greek life.

Good Luck
Old 08-09-2005, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

It is ok.

I already know they will transfer thanks for your concern, though. I have contacted both schools. The one I am attending this fall as well as the University. The stiped is about $5,000 per semester, and I am staying only one b/c I have an odd number of hours. Because some of my classes have 2 parts and I have only taken 1 part to each course, I want them all out of the way. The rest of my classes (for the rest of college...are 1 part). Also, the college that I am attending one semester (is a 4 year university) doesn't offer a good program in my major. If I had no previous hours, I would stay 2 years. I have 2 years worth of credit that will be complete before spring semester. Make sense? (that's a mouthful). One other thing... my grandparents offered to pay for college, my living expenses, and anything else that I needed if I would stay at home for one semester(the college is in the town where I am from, my parents just moved back to this town, AND my mom had a baby). It was a tough offer to turn down, so I agreed to "give it a try." My question was, will this be bad going through rush? I have a double major and a minor, so it shouldn't be an issue for me actually being higher than a sophomore, because I still have a ways to go. I have been working on my first major since my junior year of high school through a community college as well as summer classes at home. Don't worry. I'm not making a hasty decision, nor am I trying to overload my schedule. I've given it careful thought and consideration and UofA was my very first choice, but it was just going to be easier, personally, for me to change for spring. Anyway, my question was about rush. Any advice?
Old 08-09-2005, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: It is ok.

Quote:
Originally posted by argirl
My question was, will this be bad going through rush? I have a double major and a minor, so it shouldn't be an issue for me actually being higher than a sophomore, because I still have a ways to go. I have been working on my first major since my junior year of high school through a community college as well as summer classes at home. Don't worry. I'm not making a hasty decision, nor am I trying to overload my schedule. I've given it careful thought and consideration and UofA was my very first choice, but it was just going to be easier, personally, for me to change for spring. Anyway, my question was about rush. Any advice?
Even if you have 5 more years at the next college, you're still considered a sophomore. You'll have to make it a point to explain to every woman you meet at every house each day that credits-wise, you're a sophomore, but since you're double majoring, you will be at school for X more years-- and then you can also push that you have great study habits and a high GPA. Sororities like high GPA's.

Another way to explain your status will be to get sorority alumnae to write recommendations for you-- these recommendations go to the UA sororities on your behalf. They can talk you up and explain you have that much more time at school.

Come up with a plan for when you transfer to get involved with an activity at the new campus-- where you can make friends. Also know that being on campus for a semester before you go through recruitment: sorority women will be watching you. Make friends with them, and conduct yourself as a lady in class, on campus and out on the town.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you

Thanks for the advice! I already have friends on campus, though. Some are already in college, and others are attending this fall and going through rush. I probably COULD have waited a whole year to transfer, but I want to experience it through my own eyes (not through frat functions with my boyfriend, or already knowing sorority girls whom I went to high school with). I would like to get a chance to get my feet on the ground, get to know some girls from each house, and make a good first impression without worrying about whos in this soririty or that one. Just to be myself! I also am going now because I want to get a good start on my classes before rush starts and so that I can prove that jsut because I came from a smaller school, I can still maintain that same high GPA at a larger one. Oh also, My family attended school there, and they were all in sororities. I have letters or rec. and plenty of sources for help during actual rush. Just asking.

Last edited by argirl; 08-09-2005 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck and keep us posted on your plans! BTW: It's also a good idea to join activities to widen your circle of friends outside of those you already know (and it will be a good way to meet sorority women-- most sorority women are involved in activities outside of the sorority-- and they're on the search for PNM's to befriend!)