GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,575
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, aoganttsz2346
» Online Users: 2,191
0 members and 2,191 guests
No Members online

Old 09-21-2004, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Oh goody, this debate again.

Y'all, it is REALLY REALLY HARD to be a transfer student. If you haven't been one, you probably can't even begin to understand how much it sucks. The girls who double initiate aren't saying "Oh, I'm going to screw Gamma Phi over and become a DG," they are girls who miss their sisters and miss the social life and structure.

It's really easy to criticize something you don't understand.
Co-sign... I was a transfer, I hadn't gone greek at my first school but after having gone through it if I had been a member of an org already it woud've been something I would want to continue with, and while it is bad to lie about it I agree they aren't trying to screw or trick the system... they are just misguided.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Regarding "social affiliation", Pi Beta Phi does not allow it-according to our GC national officer--and I would doubt that many nationals do. Non-members aren't covered by our insurance and to quote her, it would be a risk management nightmare.

I can understand how a transfer would miss sisterhood--however, a few would and do ruin it for everyone. A local girl rushed at a large out-of-state university and was initiated. She transferred at the end of that semester and pledged another sorority at a smaller school. She was found out before her initiation and this was the reason she gave everyone for pledging again: "At my first school, we were the ugly sorority. I couldn't stand being thought of as a loser."
Old 09-22-2004, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
for what it's worth, "social affiliation" basically just sounds like you hang out with the sorority a lot.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a girl at my school who transferred in her sophomore year. She joined Tri-Delta at her school and, since we didn't have a chapter here, thought she was done with Greek Life. She ended up making friends with a lot of the Phi Mus, though, and hung out with them a lot. She didn't go to chapter or do ritual or anything, and I'm not sure if she went to mixers, etc.

I know one thing our Greek Life Office did was let her be a Rho Chi. She just wanted to do SOMETHING with Greek Life, and she had a great time doing it. It always shocked the PNMs at the Rho Chi revealing ceremony when all the Rho Chis did a Delta Delta Delta cheer and she revealed her shirt.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to kateshort Send a message via AIM to kateshort Send a message via Yahoo to kateshort
Quote:
Originally posted by Xylochick216
We had a girl at my school who transferred in her sophomore year. She joined Tri-Delta at her school and, since we didn't have a chapter here, thought she was done with Greek Life. She ended up making friends with a lot of the Phi Mus, though, and hung out with them a lot. She didn't go to chapter or do ritual or anything, and I'm not sure if she went to mixers, etc.

I know one thing our Greek Life Office did was let her be a Rho Chi. She just wanted to do SOMETHING with Greek Life, and she had a great time doing it. It always shocked the PNMs at the Rho Chi revealing ceremony when all the Rho Chis did a Delta Delta Delta cheer and she revealed her shirt.
Now *that* is a great idea! You're guaranteed to be a little less biased, since you can't even unconsciously point anyone to or away from "your" organization! :P
Old 09-22-2004, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Wow, that's crazy, but in a good way!

I suppose if your HQ allows for "guests" at social functions, there is no reason one girl couldn't be a guest at every social function. To clarify my point above, I think it is a good idea, as long as you take the appropriate RM precautions.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBetaBaby
Wow, that's crazy, but in a good way!

I suppose if your HQ allows for "guests" at social functions, there is no reason one girl couldn't be a guest at every social function. To clarify my point above, I think it is a good idea, as long as you take the appropriate RM precautions.
my senior year i wasn't dating anyone seriously so i would always bring one of my best friends, who is a tri-delta, to my formal or social events. she was friends with a lot of my sisters and no one ever minded her being there. we had a great time together!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
That's really cute.

We always had alumna show up as guests, which was nice.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:50 AM

You don't know HOW MANY girls lied about their legacy status this year @ my school. Every sorority here double checks their legacies, so the girl was usually cut from that house once the chapter found out she was lying.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

JocelynC, did the houses share that information? Frankly, I think if you lie about being a Tri-Sigma legacy, that should get you cut from all houses, not just Tri-Sigma. I sure wouldn't want that liar in my house.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by IvySpice
JocelynC, did the houses share that information? Frankly, I think if you lie about being a Tri-Sigma legacy, that should get you cut from all houses, not just Tri-Sigma. I sure wouldn't want that liar in my house.
It really depends on the situation. A girl got CUT ENTIRELY for telling EVERYONE she was a legacy to Chi Omega. But there was a girl who lied to us about being a legacy to us, who we cut and she ended up a DZ. So it really depends on how many houses you try to lie to.

If you tell EVERYONE and we ALL find out you lie, you will probably get cut from everyone. But if you only tell ONE house they find out - they probably will be the only one to cut you.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

It's one thing to boast accomplishments on your application -- that is good.

It's another to lie -- that is bad. What is the point of lying? It's so exhausting to have to remember the stories you made up.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

At UGA we always have girls lie about legacies and activities and such. Such a silly move... usually it's just padding, too, from already fabulous girls who don't think they're good enough for a competitive rush. It's a shame that they feel like they have to lie to be good enough for any GLO.

An interesting thought I just had- I went to two high schools (one in 9-10 grade in MA and one in 11-12 grade in GA), and there were some things I was involved in at my MA school that I was not in GA... for instance, I was on student council. When I went through rush, a girl at one house said she had been interested to meet me because she went to my high school in GA and was student council president, but had never met me. I had to explain that I had gone to two high schools (something that was not an option anywhere on the application). I wonder only after reading this thread if any houses cut me because I had an activity listed for 9th or 10th grade that girls from my GA high school had not seen me involved with.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Oh goody, this debate again.

Y'all, it is REALLY REALLY HARD to be a transfer student. If you haven't been one, you probably can't even begin to understand how much it sucks. The girls who double initiate aren't saying "Oh, I'm going to screw Gamma Phi over and become a DG," they are girls who miss their sisters and miss the social life and structure.

It's really easy to criticize something you don't understand.
Well, I do understand and I DO critize those that try it! I had to transfer after only 2 years in my organization because of my degree. Yes, it was hard to leave my sisters, and I loved my university. Give me a break----whether you hear it in your new member program or at the begining of recruitment----everyone knows you just can't go from group to group to join up at will!

That didn't keep me from making friends at the new place or getting involved in other organizations----it was just different.

I hadn't ever heard of "social affliliation" before either-----and I doubt many groups do it. You can still do things with members of other groups without having an official name. And I ,ALWAYS wanted everyone at my new school to know that I belonged to my sorority even though there wasn't a chapter on campus---I was proud to be a member.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
My grandfather had been part of a fraternity at U Penn, where he went before going into the Army. After he got out, the army sent him to Bethany to finish his degree. At Bethany, a fraternity allowed him as a "social member". I don't know if my brother got legacy status when he joined...and I don't know if it really mattered, they persued my brother pretty heavily (he is awesome though!). But what I thought was cool was that the active chapter went back and initiated some of the older alumni who had never been initiate members because of various things...going off to war, lack of money after returning from war, etc. I thought that was really nice. They wanted to initiate my grandfather too, but the one small bump was that he was allready initiated at U Penn!

I'm not sure, but I think on our campus, some chapters consider being a legacy as only a *slight* preference. Like you may only be guaranteed a novelty party invite, NOT a bid.