GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,572
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, jhngooglet5007
» Online Users: 2,478
1 members and 2,477 guests
ellaussd8014

Old 09-26-2004, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
I'm not sure, but I think on our campus, some chapters consider being a legacy as only a *slight* preference. Like you may only be guaranteed a novelty party invite, NOT a bid.
With most sororities, legacies are automatically invited to the first invitational round (at Auburn, that's Philanthropy Day).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-27-2004, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Corsulian
This girl last year told one of the sororities at my school that she had been valedictorian of her class. Turns out that she didn't even graduate high school and had just gotten her GED. I'm not even sure how she got accepted to the college.
GMU Greek Life Wiki * Unofficial Region X Portal
Old 09-27-2004, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by Corsulian
This girl last year told one of the sororities at my school that she had been valedictorian of her class. Turns out that she didn't even graduate high school and had just gotten her GED. I'm not even sure how she got accepted to the college.
LOL! That is a HOT mess! But, it's true that (many) colleges will accept someone with a GED provided they pass entrance exams.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

she WAS valedictorian! it was just a class of 1
Old 11-26-2004, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Xylochick216
We had a girl at my school who transferred in her sophomore year. She joined Tri-Delta at her school and, since we didn't have a chapter here, thought she was done with Greek Life. She ended up making friends with a lot of the Phi Mus, though, and hung out with them a lot. She didn't go to chapter or do ritual or anything, and I'm not sure if she went to mixers, etc.

I know one thing our Greek Life Office did was let her be a Rho Chi. She just wanted to do SOMETHING with Greek Life, and she had a great time doing it. It always shocked the PNMs at the Rho Chi revealing ceremony when all the Rho Chis did a Delta Delta Delta cheer and she revealed her shirt.
Wow, that's neat, I wish UCF would allow that. We don't have a chapter here, the nearest one is about 100 away in Tampa. Anyhow, I was so nervous to talk to the Greek Advisor Greg Mason here about being a Rho Gamma, that my Tri-Delt friend insisted on coming along so I wouldn't be freaking out or something. Oh and Greg's mom is an AGD & he said himself was the Squirrel Man for one of his college years too. Anyways we talked to Greg & he was all like, "Oh I've gotten asked by girls from Phi Mu, Sigma Kappa and yours AGD to become Rho Gammas recently" Then he goes on to describe the Expandsion process, I'm thinkin..."uhh this isn't what I asked" So I jump to the point, and Greg goes, "Well only girls from chapters of sororities presently on campus can become Rho Gams" I mean I personally think that girls who aren't represented by a chapter on campus would be great Rho Gammas coz they wouldn't be biased and stuff. But oh well, whatever ...Oh forgot to mention that I was kinda surprised that Greg didn't mention anything about Theta Phi Alpha, since I've seen two sisters of theirs' cars in the Visual Arts student parking lot all the time I park over there.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I am Grad assistant in Greek Affairs at my school. Yes, I get to check ALL of the GPA's for Recruitment. I feel like a private eye somtimes trying to figure out this stuff. We have an assumption in the office. If a girl says her GPA is 2.5 (our minimum sorority GPA-but you don't have to have it to go through Rush), she most likely has lower. We have girls who have 6.0 scales with a 4.0 but then I have to do the math to get her 2.whatever.

We had a girl who quit a chapter the week of initiation. She then put on her app. that she had never pledged a sorority. IT WAS THE SAME CAMPUS! How would anyone not know?

Also there was a girl who put she was a legacy but her grandmother was a member of the group that became Phi Mu-she had never actually been a member. Confusing, but we were relieved to release her. Reputation extreme!
Old 11-28-2004, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally posted by roqueemae
Also there was a girl who put she was a legacy but her grandmother was a member of the group that became Phi Mu-she had never actually been a member. Confusing, but we were relieved to release her. Reputation extreme!
This is something she honestly could have been confused about, because Phi Mu allows alumnae initiation for alumnae members of absorbed groups. I wouldn't consider her a legacy, but I also wouldn't release her for lying.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by alphagamgirlie
Wow, that's neat, I wish UCF would allow that. We don't have a chapter here, the nearest one is about 100 away in Tampa. Anyhow, I was so nervous to talk to the Greek Advisor Greg Mason here about being a Rho Gamma, that my Tri-Delt friend insisted on coming along so I wouldn't be freaking out or something. Oh and Greg's mom is an AGD & he said himself was the Squirrel Man for one of his college years too. Anyways we talked to Greg & he was all like, "Oh I've gotten asked by girls from Phi Mu, Sigma Kappa and yours AGD to become Rho Gammas recently" Then he goes on to describe the Expandsion process, I'm thinkin..."uhh this isn't what I asked" So I jump to the point, and Greg goes, "Well only girls from chapters of sororities presently on campus can become Rho Gams" I mean I personally think that girls who aren't represented by a chapter on campus would be great Rho Gammas coz they wouldn't be biased and stuff. But oh well, whatever ...Oh forgot to mention that I was kinda surprised that Greg didn't mention anything about Theta Phi Alpha, since I've seen two sisters of theirs' cars in the Visual Arts student parking lot all the time I park over there.
OMG that is so so sooooo mean.

This Greg dude sounds like totally uncool!! I think it would be AwEsOmE for you and the Theta Phis and the Phi Mus and Sigma Kappas to be Rho Gammas!!!!!!!!! like wow that would be sooooooooo neat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I knew of someone with a GED that had a 1400 plus SAT . . . bright person . . bad student.

Quote:
Originally posted by Corsulian
Old 11-28-2004, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
.... or even just a person with a bad family situation. I used to work with a guy whose home life was so unstable he was working full time by age 16, to support his little sisters.

but, lying is lying. If she lied by saying she was valedictorian, make sure the door doesn't hit her on the way out.

I think at a lot of schools it's not made ABSOLUTELY CLEAR when you're filling out the rush form that groups can "check up" on most of the info you list on the form.

I was so scared of lying when I went through I left my GPA blank -- I'd transferred and wasn't sure if they meant core classes, my GPA at my old school, my GPA at the new school, the two combined, my HS GPA, what? And they check anyway.
Old 11-28-2004, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by HotDamnImAPhiMu

I think at a lot of schools it's not made ABSOLUTELY CLEAR when you're filling out the rush form that groups can "check up" on most of the info you list on the form.
Ditto. Since we're not a large competitive Greek system by any means (6 sororities/quota of about 18/ maybe 120 or so rushees), alot of girls don't think we care what's on those applications and that they're just a formality. They figure that we don't have the time and resources to double check legacies, GPA, and those important things. They are so wrong.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:59 AM
GreekChat Member

past coming to the present

I am a little confused. if someone transfers to another school isnt their information private. does the rushee have to sign something to allow panhellenic access to their grades. And as far as transferring to a new school where your group isnt at, i was told that the rule was that you could not belong to the two group at the same school, so if you transfered then a girl could join a new group. And if a girl did transfer and did not say that she was in a sorority at her old school would the panhellenic at the 2nd school call the old school to check to see if she was a member of a group or would there be other ways of finding out if a women was/is a member of another organization.

I was invovled in a sorority at my school but we never dealt with this, okay i never dealt with or heard of many of these things happening with the exception of grade bolstering

I am just really curious, dont mean to be a bother
Old 12-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

If you're at a big and/or selective school, you'll almost certainly have to sign a paper allowing panhel to check your grades. No, you can not join another NPC group if you initiate at the first and transfer. And again, if the second school is big and/or selective they will most likely check to see if you were Greek before and if you were found to have lied about that, both nationals will boot you.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
If you're at a big and/or selective school, you'll almost certainly have to sign a paper allowing panhel to check your grades. No, you can not join another NPC group if you initiate at the first and transfer. And again, if the second school is big and/or selective they will most likely check to see if you were Greek before and if you were found to have lied about that, both nationals will boot you.

Just to add: Being a member of only one NPC group is the rule across the board for all NPC groups. It doenst matter if you were in one group at one school and then transfer. The one you initiated into is your group for life. In fact, I believe that once you initiate an NPC group if at some point you decide to turn in your pin and terminate your membership from that group's HQ, I still think you are bound to that group and are not allowed to pledge another NPC group period. Reason being I think is that each group has it's own unique and special ritual. It cheapens the meaning of these rituals if you join more than one, or know the "Secrets" if you will of more than one. I'm not sure if that came out very clearly, but it's not fair to the members to belong to more than one.

Am I correct here in saying this?
Old 12-11-2004, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
And again, if the second school is big and/or selective they will most likely check to see if you were Greek before
I just want to point out that this is not necessarily true. In fact, often, the larger the school is, the LESS likely it is that they'll check. Who wants to go through and check up on whether 800 different rushees were Greek before?

Not that I'm encouraging anyone to do this, by any means, but there are plenty of schools where there IS no checking up (on whether you were Greek, on legacy status -- probably more common not to check outside of the south -- on GPA, etc.). You definitely don't know which you're going to get, though.

For those of you who go to schools where you DO check if the girls were Greek before, how do you do it? Do you send a list of social security numbers to the HQs of all national sororities and ask them to match them up or something? That just seems like TONS of work on both ends, especially when you take into account that it's happening all over the country.

Quote:
Originally posted by doubleblue&gold
Well, I do understand and I DO critize those that try it! I had to transfer after only 2 years in my organization because of my degree. Yes, it was hard to leave my sisters, and I loved my university. Give me a break----whether you hear it in your new member program or at the begining of recruitment----everyone knows you just can't go from group to group to join up at will!

Please. Not everybody's Greek experience was identical to your own. I know that I was never told at any point during my recruitment or new member period that I couldn't have been Greek before. If it wasn't for GC, I probably wouldn't know that this is the case.

You guys have to realize that while most of us on this website are extremely educated on Greek issues, that is NOT true across the board, and I would hazard a guess that it's the exception rather than the rule.