GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,573
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, bryanjnior459
» Online Users: 2,445
2 members and 2,443 guests
Sarak24034, Titchou

Old 07-13-2005, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Rushing at the University of Alabama

Hey y'all. I'm new to the forum and I'd like to first introduce myself. I'll be attending the University of Alabama in the fall. I'm soooo excited!

Of course, I'm rushing, and I'm so nervous. I've heard so many things about rush being very intense and cuthroat at Bama. None of my family was ever Greek so I don't know what to expect. I also don't have any recs right now, but I'm going to work on that soon.

Can anyone give me some info on rush at Alabama? What should I expect? Is it really as scary as I'm thinking it is? HELP!

Last edited by ilovebama; 07-14-2005 at 08:58 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-13-2005, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Either almost in Mississippi or almost in Georgia, or traveling in between
Send a message via AIM to bekibug
The page for Recruitment Info isn't coming up at the moment, so here's a link to Bama's Panhellenic Association site:
http://bama.ua.edu/~npc/

Check back with it to see if the page with recruitment info comes up. There's also a link for recommendation addresses.

Best of luck with recruitment!
Old 07-13-2005, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

all the best...get ready to have fun and make sure your shoes are comfy.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I am going to be rushing in the fall as well, but at the University of Florida, and I feel almost the same as you do! I'm not from a Greek family either and I'm trying to get my recs but people are understandably busy and I feel like I'm so far behind...oh well, as long as we both prepare as best we can and HAVE FUN I'm sure everything will work out fine!

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 07-13-2005, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

DISCRETION is the key on here since you are going to a school that a LOT of GC'ers know about. In fact, if it was me I wouldn't even post about your experience until it's over. Don't give any opinions about the houses.

Get recs for all houses. Period.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's reality in southern rush and yes it's going to be intense.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

here is some helpful information.
-prepare for the heat. bring a small fan for the time in between parties.
-prepare for rain, it always rains. bring an umbrella.
-leave cell phones in your room
-your Rho Chi's will have mints and band-aids for blisters but it wouldn't hurt to bring your own
-no one sees what purse you have so just put these items and some powder and lipstick in any kind of bag.
-find comfortable shoes, especially if you live on campus and are walking over to sorority row (you can leave some flip flops in your bag
-bring advil or some kind of pain reliever for your feet, they'll be hurting
-recomedations are not required for all houses, but many do require them. don't worry if you don't have a rec for a house, it is THEIR responsiblity to find one.
-ice water teas you should wear capri's and a cute top. ice water teas are spread out over two days so make sure you have two outfits
-philanthropy day is long-10 parties! you will be given a shirt and most girls wear khaki shorts, don't wear skirts b/c you might be sitting on the floor
-skit day you should wear a skirt and cute top, maybe a simple sun dress
-serious night you should wear a nice dress, preferably not solid black
-bid day you should wear flip flops and something comfortable. most wear a cute shirt and jean skirt. you will be given a shirt to wear once you get to your house.
-the most important thing about your dress is to make sure it fits you well (isn't too tight or too big) and that you look and feel good in it
-when meeting the girls, be excited to be in their house (even if you aren't) make sure they can see your name tag
-be ready to talk and answer their questions. also it is a good idea to have your own questions about each house and the greek system in general.
-come in with an open mind. don't let family, friends from home, friends in sororities or fraternities, or girls in your recruitment groups sway your opinion of any house. you are the one going through recruitment, not them.
-have a good time, and try not to stress.

if you have any other questions just pm me. i am a member of a sorority at UA.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

-recomedations are not required for all houses, but many do require them. don't worry if you don't have a rec for a house, it is THEIR responsiblity to find one.

Sorry, but I will disagree with this one. Yes, it's their responsibility to find one but with SO many girls going through are they really going to worry about them. If they REALLY want you, they probably will but don't count on it. Better to get them all yourself.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

let me clarify: get recommedations for every house. but if there are houses that you don't have recs for don't count those houses out. i know of people whose rho chi's had to persuade them from not dropping out when they were cut from houses and was left with houses she didn't have recs for. sorry for any confusion.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck rushing at Bama! I'm rushing in Cali this fall and all I can advise is to seriously read over some of these threads on GC (particularly about recommendations, the "general advice" thread, and the "what to wear" threads) because they're really informative and a lot of them are targeted more toward SEC rush, so they should be really helpful for you. You might also read through some of the rush experience threads to get a better idea of what to expect during rush.
Good luck!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
DISCRETION is the key on here since you are going to a school that a LOT of GC'ers know about. In fact, if it was me I wouldn't even post about your experience until it's over. Don't give any opinions about the houses.

Get recs for all houses. Period.

Sorry to sound harsh, but that's reality in southern rush and yes it's going to be intense.
The way you make this sound (whether or not it was intended) makes the girl who is excited about rush feel not welcome on GC. I am frankly tired of people saying "don't ruffle feathers or people on GC will get mad." Let the girl say what she wants to say, she is just looking for advice and for someone to say "you'll make it through recruitment, I know how you feel." Lighten up everyone.

"You used Ghostbusters for evil!" - Liz Lemon
Old 07-13-2005, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Some advice from a journalist...whenever we go into an interview, we have around 10 questions written downthat we WILL ask, for certain. We use those 10 questions as a jumping off point for conversations...starting a memorable discussion with me is THE way to earn yourself a spot on my bid list. When someone ASKS ME questions in addition to answering questions clearly...that's a desireable quality and shows a degree of hospitality on the part of the guest.

So once you get past the same old questions (and be prepared, you're going to be spouting off your name hometown major every 5 minutes, it sucks). If someone asks you, "so what did you do in high school" answer the question and then ask, "what organizations and stuff are you involved in here?" or try to lead it into something that can get past "oh I lived a town over"..."what's your favorite class here?" What professor is awesome for underwater basketweaving? Etc. etc. etc. Have a few "Stock" questions to save the conversation should it start sinking on either part, because the sisters will be nervous too. Don't be afraid to write them out for your own good (don't take it with you though!).

Good luck!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmaK619
The way you make this sound (whether or not it was intended) makes the girl who is excited about rush feel not welcome on GC. I am frankly tired of people saying "don't ruffle feathers or people on GC will get mad." Let the girl say what she wants to say, she is just looking for advice and for someone to say "you'll make it through recruitment, I know how you feel." Lighten up everyone.
[IMG]home.arcor.de/ murdok1/ghey.jpg[/IMG]

Sure she can ask for advice, but she also needs to know that revealing too much info can also put her rush experience at risk.

Can't happen, you say? Oh, but it did. More than once. Some PNMs had really horrible results because they didn't know how to keep their mouths shut on GC.

People will always be snarky. Myself included. I can't help but laugh and snort everytime I get a "lighten up everyone" either from a newbie or lurker.

Sorry doll, but that's just the way it is.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
[IMG]home.arcor.de/ murdok1/ghey.jpg[/IMG]

Sure she can ask for advice, but she also needs to know that revealing too much info can also put her rush experience at risk.

Can't happen, you say? Oh, but it did. More than once. Some PNMs had really horrible results because they didn't know how to keep their mouths shut on GC.

People will always be snarky. Myself included. I can't help but laugh and snort everytime I get a "lighten up everyone" either from a newbie or lurker.

Sorry doll, but that's just the way it is.
Just because I haven't posted 8,000 times doesn't mean my opinion doesn't mean anything and that people who have posted hundreds or thousands of times are the gospel. Just because I don't have alot of posts doesn't mean I am not on GC and reading it. Also, please don't talk down to me by calling me things like "doll," it's rude and condescending.

Also, what is worse, going into rush without a clue, or trying to find nice people on GC to give you good advice? I would think it would be to not have a clue.

Back to the topic...ilovebama, recruitment is such a fun and exciting time and I hope you find some people on here who are willing to give you some good advice about rushing in the South without trying to make you feel unwelcome! I wish I could be more help to you but I rushed in Cali!

(I edited this after some afterthought)

"You used Ghostbusters for evil!" - Liz Lemon

Last edited by sigmaK619; 07-13-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmaK619
It's honestly not so much regular GCers, most of whom can take criticism of their GLO without having 22 fits. (We are a Panhellenic and realistic bunch) It's more the lurkers who happen by here and freak out because OMG SUSIE SWANSONHEIMER SAID WE WERE TOO BUBBLY WE NEED TO CUT HER NOOOWWWW.

At any rate - ilovebama, DEFINITELY get recs for all the houses - this is at least one thing you can control. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2005, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Frankly I have to agree about being careful what a PNM posts online (here or elsewhere) during actual Recruitment. I'd be a little concerned if I saw PNM say "I just didn't click with ABC" or some such. If I was ABC and we loved that PNM, then I'd think maybe she wasn't interested in us. Same thing if I saw "I just loved XYZ" and I'm not a member of XYZ.

There are plenty of topics around to provide explanations of what to expect during Recruitment. I strongly suggest you take a look through them. You'll find everything from actual Recruitment experiences to what to wear.

Here's my 2 cents worth and I'm probably repeating what has been said a million times before in other places.

Keep an open mind especially on a campus the size of Bama with a strong Greek system. The smallest Chapter that participates in Formal Recuitment has around 70 members and the largest around 160. Or at least they should after Recruitment, maybe even larger considering how many women will be going through. Think of it as the law of large numbers, you should be able to find friends in any of the Chapters.

But at the same time, don't let yourself be talked into something that you know in your heart you won't be happy with. I've seen actives do this and it colored their entire collegiate experience. (It's really sad because they never gave that GLO/Chapter a chance and they could have really loved it if they didn't have such a negative outlook.) On the flip side though, for me I didn't get my first choice on my bid card. Still, I gave it a shot and in the long run know that it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Somebody "up there" knew what was best for me.

With the craziness involved in Bama or any large Recruitment, you have to put your best foot forward and make an impression. With so many PNMs going through you simply can't be a shy person. Again I'll use myself as an example. With people I know, I'll talk their ear off but with folks I've just met it's a whole different thing. My mind goes blank on what to say even for making small talk. I literally had to force myself to do it during Recruitment. As already suggested I came up with a list of topics and questions for each stage of Recuitment to fall back on if I got stuck.

Recs are important. No they aren't required but again with so many going through it could possibly hurt someone who wants to be in XYZ and not have a Rec with them. Then again it might not, it's really hard to say and depends the individual Chapter. Remember to provide the person writing one for you with a resume and picture. And by all means, send that person a thank you!

IMHO it's only fair to know that grades are very important. It's my understanding that many Chapters at Bama are looking for at least a 3.0 GPA or equivalent. If you don't have those kind of grades, you can still receive a bid to a great Chapter, but your choices may be a little more limited. If you took AP/honors classes, if your HS was an especially challenging/college prep school, or something along those lines you may want to provide your rec author with a transcript and/or an explanation of your school. Especially when coming from out of state and the Chapters may not be familiar with your HS. If you don't have someone to write you a rec, I think there is somewhere on the registration form to provide additional info and you can explain there. (Sorry, it's been awhile since I read through the reg form.)

Best of luck!

ETA: It has been pointed out to me that I implied that there was a big problem with many Bama PNMs being pressured into accepting bids from a GLO and then were never happy there. That was not what I had intended. While I have in fact seen this first hand, I was primarily referring to stories I had heard from other advisors from campuses around the country who had seen this sort of thing happen as well. My apologies if I was not clear.

Last edited by Zillini; 07-14-2005 at 02:44 PM.