GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,637
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, bvelesymaarey20
» Online Users: 1,011
1 members and 1,010 guests
Zach

Old 07-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Arrow PNMs--tell the truth on your applications!

I have just heard a few stories about PNMs who lied about their gradepoints and/or activities on their recruitment applications. They were found out.

PNMs! Please don't do this! These applications are usually checked out, especially at big and/or selective schools! And word will get out--the first sorority to find out is likely to call another one.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-06-2004, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow!

I'm glad you posted this just in case anyone on here was thinking of doing this!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Esp. the GPA thing b/c it will only come back to kick you in the butt in the end...a lot of chapters have threshold GPA requirements that you must meet in order to join...if you lie about it and are accepted as a PNM, then they will have to let you go later when your GPA is released to them! instead, you should be upfront about it and know that everything is cool instead of stressing over the deception for an entire semester
Old 07-06-2004, 12:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Re: PNMs--tell the truth on your applications!

Great advice, Carnation! That PNM is SO screwed! But heck, nobody's fault but hers...

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
I have just heard a few stories about PNMs who lied about their gradepoints and/or activities on their recruitment applications. They were found out.

PNMs! Please don't do this! These applications are usually checked out, especially at big and/or selective schools! And word will get out--the first sorority to find out is likely to call another one.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow!!

Even though I'm not in a sorority, I put down the truth on my recruitment app last fall and even though I know I got cut from some because my gpa wasn't up to par, at least I told the truth. You don't want to look for a sisterhood by lying about the basics. What does it say about you?
Old 07-06-2004, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

It's happened at Ole Miss before, but if you have active alumnae you can find out anything you want to know....plus most sororities at Ole Miss "highly suggest" a copy of a PNM transcripts.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

not to mention the fact that if you get pledged on a bogus GPA and then the chapter has to drop you later because of your grades, chances may be that the chapter can't fill that spot and someone else who really wanted the chapter who did have the grades won't have the opportunity ... it's just a bad idea all the way around. We always find out in the end.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
We had a big instance where a PNM lied and said she was a legacy to a certain sorority. She went the entire first semester stating this, when she went to go through recruitment and they checked out her app. info. it was found out. Needless to say she did not get extended a bid from any chapter at that time.

Also, we had a PNM who transferred from another school. She was actually a member of an org that wasn't on our campus, so she decided to rush again without telling anyone she was already a member. She ended up getting a bid from an org. but later she was asked to leave by their nationals when she was found out.

Moral of the stories....don't make stuff up and don't cover stuff up.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:35 PM

At my school, the chapters receive a copy of the PNM's actual application. Panhellenic will go through each application and verify the information with the PNM's transcripts. It's always hilarious to get a PNM's application with 3.8 GPA crossed out and a 2.5 GPA written next to it by Panhellenic. Or an application with a 1420 SAT score crossed out and a 1050 written beside it. It just makes you look really bad to the sororities and we don't want a a new member who is going to lie about themselves.
If your GPA leaves much to be desired for, explain the reason why during recruitment if the opportunity presents itself (only if the subject of grades happens to come up in conversation with a sister...DO NOT randomly start talking about your GPA). There could be a good reason for the low GPA and we would like to hear about it. Even if there's not, you can tell the sister what changes you're going to make in order to improve your GPA.
Sororities are all knowing and we will find out about your GPA, SAT and ACT score, and activities. Don't lie because it makes you look foolish.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maggieaxid
Moral of the stories....don't make stuff up and don't cover stuff up.

Good advice...there was a PNM who claimed she was a legacy to a certain house...that house found out she was lying and released her...also, to all PNM, don't claim you are a legacy to a house that you are not a legacy...double check to make sure your great-great-great grandmother was an XYZ at Alpha College...being a pledge does not mean your relative was an initiated member.....
Old 07-07-2004, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

GPA??

whats the average high school gpa most sororities require for PNMs??
Old 07-07-2004, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the school and the chapter at that school most of the time. For more info, contact the Greek Life Office at your school!
Old 07-07-2004, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
At IU, the first round of rush takes place in November and the rest happens in January. Semester grades come out in December and I believe Panhel gets a copy of rushees' transcripts. So there's no opportunity to lie.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Hahaha. . . this thread just reminded me of when I was a sophomore we had a girl come through formal rush from my high school who totally lied on her application. And we went to a pretty big high school in the area - I think there were girls from my high school in over half the sororities on campus. Anyway, she listed all sorts of activities on her application - everything from varisty soccer and basketball to editor in chief of both the newspaper and yearbook. Oh and I think she said she was student body president too. Except she didn't do anything in high school other than like one year of choir or soemthing. Word got around campus pretty fast and she got dropped from all houses.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a quick word about what PNM's put down as their GPA's and what Panhellenic says is their GPA. I know at Georgia State, many PNM's will put down their correct GPA, if ALL of their classes counted(including ones like Art, PE, Wood shop, etc). Panhellenic only counts their CORE classes, like math, english, history, and science. So, a PNM could have 3.6, with all her electives counting but when those get taken out, she drops to a 3.2 or something lower. So, don't nessesarily think they lied if its crossed off and a new GPA is written in. Just trust in your Panhell to get the GPA's right!
People lying on legacies is a WHOLE different story. I don't even want to TELL you the hours I spent on the phone last recruitment with AOII HQ trying to track down a girl who said she was an AOII legacy on her sheet but that we couldn't find. She wasn't a legacy and I was NOT happy!