GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,546
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annatfancesa349
» Online Users: 2,362
3 members and 2,359 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 02-02-2000, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Collective effort

Skeewee sorors, this is my first time in the greechat room. I am really feeling the positive discussions that go on hear. What I am severely concerned about is the image that some of our sorors have began to display. Now it is common knowledge that AKA's are known for being pretty and prissy, and not generally, but sometimes uppity. What I want to know where did this thing with sorors not showing one another love. I was speaking to a gentleman the other day who knows I am an AKA and he said, "You should have been a DELTA because the AKA's show no love, not even to their own sisters." This really hurt me because a lot lately I have been witness to this kind of behavior. I love my AKA enough to be concerned and willing to make an effort against this shameful behavior. So please sorors, any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Much love from an unconditional AKA.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-02-2000, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

SkeeWee, Soror! Welcome to Greekchat. It is always nice to have sorors join us.

I understand your concerns because I have been in this type of situation before. When I first went over in the spring of '95, a week later I attended regional in Atlanta. As a neophyte, quite naturally I was excited. I would speak to sorors with a simple hello and some would respond and some would not. During the past five years, this same scenario has happened several times. However, I don't let it stop me from approaching sorors and acknowledging our bond.

However, some people tend to think that all AKAs act a certain way. Whenever my undergrad chapter went on road trips, people from other schools were amazed at how friendly we were. They assumed that because we were AKAs we must be snobs. That is because that was the impression they got from other AKAs or the sorors on their campus.

People must first not buy into the stereotype. Then, they must realize that not all of us are the same. They have to keep an open mind.

Also, I find that some people take confidence and self-assurance as arrogance and are intimidated by us. In turn, they think of us in a negative way. I had several friends in college who honestly thought I was "stuck up" but discovered I was simply a shy person. I kept to myself a lot and only my close friends and sorors knew what I was really like.

But I will agree with you that it is disheartening when some sorors do not acknowledge their own, but fortunately it doesn't happen very often. Most of the sorors I encounter will take the time to chat for a moment or respond in some other way. Even when I'm driving down the street, sorors will spot my decal in the window or AKA plate on the front of my car and hold thier pinky in the air.

I love my sorors.

Old 02-03-2000, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much AKAtude for your reply. It makes me feel somewhat better. Even though I know that ignoring the bad apples will not make the problem go away, I know that concentrating on the good will comfort me. It's a wonderful thing what we have and for those who don't recognize that or tend to tarnish our sacred organization with appalling behavior....it's your lost. Even if you don't want my love, you have it and I will continue to show love for all of my beautiful sorors. I can't wait to give out all of those "WE HAVE A BOND" hugs at regionals in NY. As my mom would say, "Kill them with kindness". Much love sorors. Skee-ya later, AKAgator!
Old 02-03-2000, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey I see that I have some SANDS out there!!! One love for SPRING 95!!!

This is something that we were speaking about in SkeePhi.com the other day. Basically, we came to the conclusion that sometimes it really depends on how you were brought in to the sorority. I know that I show my sorors love and I do try to help when I can, or at least point them in a direction where they can get the help that they seek.

When I come across sorors who act as if no one ever gave them home training, I might get a little flustered, but I move on. I've discovered that for every one soror who is engulfed rudeness, there are at least 5 more that are about the reason for our organization.... SISTERHOOD!!!!

Don't get it twisted now...this phenomenon exists in ALL of the sororities. I have friends in each who tell me stories about their sorors.

The bottom line is...you just have to use your best judgement.

------------------
AKATUDE - Don't Leave Home Without It!
Old 02-08-2000, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

SkeeeeeeWeeeeeeee. What's up my Beautiful Sorors of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc. It is so good to post today. My sorors always keep holding things dn in here. Crook what's up girl its good to see you up in this piece. AkAtude you know you are my peeps! And to all those aspiring young ladies out there in search of the pink and green don't get caught up in the hype, look at individuals as individuals and don't let them represent the whole because they are not the whole of our illustrious sorority. Peace.