GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,148
1 members and 1,147 guests
zkaylgooglet196

Old 08-16-2002, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Study Abroad

I have a question, have any of you recently studied abroad? I will be going for 5mo to Europe in the Spring. I am anxious/nervous/scared yet excited and hopeful at the same time.
Also, if you did go abroad, were any of you in a relationship? I will be dating my b/f for 2.5 yrs, I have no idea how it will turn out, if we should try to stay together or what!
Please share your story or advice!

Luv,
Jess
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-16-2002, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I did my junior year abroad (JYA) in England. It was really fantastic and unbelievably rewarding. The British educational system was rather different than ours but was a great way to learn a huge amount and still have a lot of fun. Fraternities per se do not really exist in the UK but most universities have "Dining Clubs" which are very similar. The university experience is approached from a somewhat different angle and one is given a lot more independence in how to pursue your program. The Brits think our preoccupation with alcohol is bizare. Every university has several school run bars and one can have beer and wine with meals in dining hall. The "work hard - play hard" ethic is strong and the students seemed a little more focused but were also serious hell-raisers. Cost of living can be a little high if you are not careful, but the life style can be really habit forming. I got to go to Royal Ascot which was just like "My Fair Lady". I had to wear Morning Coat and a top hat and our group was entertained by some well connected Brits so we got to meet the movers and shakers. As I was a rower I went to the Regatta at Henly on Thames where we were entertained by the Leander Club and watched the events from the "Stewards Enclosure" through a steady stream of excellent champagne.
The academic side was tough and challanging but I have to admit it was really interesting and I enjoyed it completely. After I graduated I was stationed in Europe and managed to pick up an MA from my old JYA university on a part time basis.
As to relationships, don't blow the chance of a lifetime worrying about something that must stand or fall on its own merits. If the relationship is strong it will easily survive a mere five month distancing, if it is not able to survive such a short separation you are lucky to discover this now rather than when it could really hurt you.
Where are you going to be enrolled and what will you be studying? If not in UK will the lectures be in English, or are you sufficiently fluent in the local language to fully participate?
If I can answer any specific questions please email me or post. In any event, good luck and have the time of your life.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks I love hearing others experiences...I am fairly (learning to be) fluent in French, so all of my classes will be in the native language. That's not my problem, its just going to be the complete independence of living in a foreign country. And I know that I HAVE to go...I wouldn't miss this opportunity, its just scary!

Thanks!
Jess
Old 08-16-2002, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey,
Where in Europe are you going? I just returned from 5 months in France and it was an incredible experience, better than I could ever describe here. Some tips:

1. Hang out with the locals. If you are with other Americans, ditch them and try to make friends with the locals instead. You will learn so much about their culture that way.

2. Participate in something in the community. When I was in France I did volunteer work in the childrens wing of the local hospital and took a painting class at the local community center (aka, the MJC in France). I met so many great people that way and really was forced to improve my French.

3. just a random tip. Don't bring any videos over to watch. European VCRs and American VCRs are formatted differently and American videos don't work in European VCRs and vice versa.

4. If you are in France (I assume you are because your classes will be in French) take the TGV to travel and purchase the 12-25 discount card. You need it to recieve the student discount on train tickets. I didn't know this and I had a train collector yelling at me because I had purchased a student discounted train ticket without the 12-25 card.

5. The ISIC and the HI card, both available at Council travel agencies MAY save you money. Buy the ISIC if your school abroad won't give you a student ID card, otherwise it's a waste of money. Buy the Hostel International card only if you plan on staying in alot of youth hostels, otherwise it won't be worth it.

6. Remember that Eurail passes are only sold in the US so plan ahead.

7. Apply early for your student visa if you need one, those things can take a while.

About relationships. When I first arrived in France almost everyone in my program had a girlfriend or boyfriend back home. Five months later, very few were still together. Commication is expensive when you consider the costs of phone calls and time at internet cafes so it is hard. Don't let him hold you back from having a good time and if it's a strong relationship, it will last. Also, if he has the means to do so, maybe he can visit you during spring break so he can see what your life is like over there.

PM me if you want more advice

Good Luck!