GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,574
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, ajacksonjunioro
» Online Users: 2,308
2 members and 2,306 guests
Low D Flat, Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of Delta Gamma's Alumnae Initiate requirements but I would assume that they're similar to your group's.

It's part of Delta Gamma's history that our founders agreed to have a male initiate in order to establish chapters outside of the South. This was during the 19th century though. Phi Delta Theta's George Banta was instrumental in establishing chapters in the norther part of the country.
These days, I'd expect a situation like with George Banta to be done with Honorary membership (Not sure on the rules on honorary memberships of men in the NPC) and the person that comes to mind as being in a situation situation to Banta in the year 2023 is Dr. Fran Becque who is a Pi Beta Phi sister.
Old 02-10-2024, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Has anyone ever heard of going directly from 2020 alumna initiate to province director?
Depending on the circumstances of the alumna initiate - for example, a longtime chapter advisor who wasn't a sister but who has been around the sorority and its policies long enough to understand what's going on - I can see that being not an issue if the group was strapped for volunteers.

But as I have personal experience with an AI turned province director way too soon and the results thereof, I really need to tap out of this part of this discussion before I start sounding like a Quentin Tarantino movie.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
These days, I'd expect a situation like with George Banta to be done with Honorary membership (Not sure on the rules on honorary memberships of men in the NPC) and the person that comes to mind as being in a situation situation to Banta in the year 2023 is Dr. Fran Becque who is a Pi Beta Phi sister.

I'm not sure what you mean about Fran?
Old 02-10-2024, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

"Supporters of Nadzieja’s potential⁢ presidency argue *that his* qualifications* and commitment to LGBTQ advocacy make him an ideal* candidate for leadership. They believe that his presence could help KKG become more inclusive ⁣and progressive, reflecting the changing landscape of gender and identity."

https://www.conservativenewsdaily.ne...-says-lawsuit/
Old 02-10-2024, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmagnolia921 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean about Fran?
That the person who to me seems to be the 21st century of George Banta in the fraternity world at the time that Delta Gamma gave him membership is Fran Becque (where an up and coming fraternity might be willing to give cross gender membership simply due to ability to help with all of the types of things that George Banta did)

(A compliment to Dr Becque)
Old 02-11-2024, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
That the person who to me seems to be the 21st century of George Banta in the fraternity world at the time that Delta Gamma gave him membership is Fran Becque (where an up and coming fraternity might be willing to give cross gender membership simply due to ability to help with all of the types of things that George Banta did)

(A compliment to Dr Becque)
Dr. Fran Becque is a woman. She was initiated into Pi Beta Phi when she was in college. Are you suggesting that Dr. Becque is an example of a woman whose achievements are so great that a men's fraternity might extend her membership?

True and Constant
Old 02-12-2024, 12:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Dr. Fran Becque is a woman. She was initiated into Pi Beta Phi when she was in college. Are you suggesting that Dr. Becque is an example of a woman whose achievements are so great that a men's fraternity might extend her membership?
Yes, I know, I've communicated with her, and I know she is a Pi Beta Phi sister. She is the closest person in the "Greek Universe" today that I can see to having that Potential. I'm not saying it is likely, but if it were to happen, I'd expect it to be a group with as little crossover with Pi Beta Phi as possible (either one of the NALFO or APIDA ethnic fraternities???)

Sorry to have taken this so off topic.
Old 02-12-2024, 06:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if anyone in this thread actually loves a trans person in their lives.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

A person can be loved and can be included in parts of one’s life without including that person in all aspects of one’s life, including activities and memberships.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

What she said. I loved a transperson who died. Still, that person was quite mentally ill and not in touch with reality a good deal of the time.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Why can’t we evaluate each transgender person on their own actions, values and merits…as opposed to just mass accepting an entire group of people…which, like any group of people, contains those from every walk of life (good and bad).

I’m a woman before I’m anything, and if someone is making women feel uncomfortable…well, that’s sketchy and I’m really not too interested in obligatory empathy for them because they belong to a certain demographic.

That being said…as important as defending women is to me…if someone is a woman and they are a crazy lying crackpot (Jackie from the Rolling Stone rape article comes to mind)…I don’t give two shits about them. Should I automatically empathize with someone who publicly accused members of an organization of a violent gang rape (that never happened) because we have the same body parts? Because I know what it’s like to be a woman or love a woman?

Nope, it’s time that transgender people stand or fail on their own actions and merits. You don’t get waived to second base because you’re transgender and in some ways, life is harder for you.

(FWIW I’m speaking of Artemis. Idk about the AI KKG member. But COME TF ON. Who gets a state capital internship with a 1.9 GPA????)
Old 02-12-2024, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Why can’t we evaluate each transgender person on their own actions, values and merits…as opposed to just mass accepting an entire group of people…which, like any group of people, contains those from every walk of life (good and bad).

I’m a woman before I’m anything, and if someone is making women feel uncomfortable…well, that’s sketchy and I’m really not too interested in obligatory empathy for them because they belong to a certain demographic.

That being said…as important as defending women is to me…if someone is a woman and they are a crazy lying crackpot (Jackie from the Rolling Stone rape article comes to mind)…I don’t give two shits about them. Should I automatically empathize with someone who publicly accused members of an organization of a violent gang rape (that never happened) because we have the same body parts? Because I know what it’s like to be a woman or love a woman?

Nope, it’s time that transgender people stand or fail on their own actions and merits. You don’t get waived to second base because you’re transgender and in some ways, life is harder for you.

(FWIW I’m speaking of Artemis. Idk about the AI KKG member. But COME TF ON. Who gets a state capital internship with a 1.9 GPA????)
Well said.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post

Agreed. No one appreciates the “Special Snowflake’ of any sort.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Someone feeling uncomfortable around someone else may or may not be the "someone else" person's fault. Because there are a lot of people who are uncomfortable around Muslims. There are a lot of people who are uncomfortable around people of color. A person should not be banned from an organization just because some members of the organization feel uncomfortable around them.

I volunteered with my org for a long time and had many situations where a member was doing something they shouldn't and there are processes to deal with that. Those should be followed. Whether they are transgender shouldn't even matter.

Ultimately, the courts threw this case out because they are saying that it's not their place to deal with our internal membership issues and I whole heartedly agree. Last thing I want is the government getting involved in membership.
Old 02-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Women should get a boner-free sorority house, which they were not getting with Artemis around.

And does anyone feel like sisters who complained were totally ignored? "Oh, don't be silly, that's not even anything that should go to the honor court--you transphobic bitches."
Closed Thread