GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,645
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Pinkiepolice
» Online Users: 1,676
1 members and 1,675 guests
Low D Flat

Old 10-27-2000, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Question "Official" Lil' Brother/Lil' Sister Organizations

Are there any organizations here that have "Official" (meaning approved my your national headquarters) lil' brother or lil' sister organzations? By that, I don't mean Phi Beta Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta. Yes, they are an "official brother-sister organization" but, I mean "NON GREEK" brothers and sisters who help with various events the GLO may have, etc. If so, what are they and for anyone else interested, besides myself, how do you go about becoming a member of it?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-27-2000, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Howdy,

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. has several official auxilliaries. The Pearlettes (little girls 4-7), the Amicettes (girls 9-13), the Archonettes (high school girls), and the Amicae. The Amicae, are women who do not meet the requirements for membership into ZPhiB, but believe in the ideals of the sorority, and assist local chapters with activities. For more info check out http://www.zpb1920.org or consult your local chapter!

Some of the other NPHC orgs have these types of groups too. (I will let the members of those orgs speak about them, because I don't know the details )

Now, if you are talking about collegiate based groups (like sweetheart organizations) the only organization that has an official group is Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.(if I'm not mistaken).

ZetaAce

------------------
A FinerWoman since 1997...
Old 10-27-2000, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Silver Spur, Iota Phi Theta is the only NPHC organization that has official sweethearts that are recognized by their national office. Other Bro./Sis. Organizations are banned from the rest of the Divine Nine. Why? Iota Phi Theta became a member of the NPHC in 1996. Their use of sweethearts was sort of grandfathered in. Do you see what I mean. They came in after the ruling came down so they were still allowed to have an official sweetheart organization. That's not to say that there aren't some underground lil bro/lil sis organizations still running around out there. I hope this was of some help to you.

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 10-27-2000, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
In order to maintain our autonomy, ZTA chapters are not allowed to have little brother or similar organizations or men representing them in any official capacity. Most NPC organizations have similar rules.

Barb
Old 10-27-2000, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not speaking of sweethearts. I am speaking of lil'bro/lil'sis organizations like Zeta Ace mentioned.

Does Kappa Alpha Psi have any of that nature?

Thanks again for your reply.

Sillllllllvvvvver Spurrrrrrrrrrr

Quote:
Originally posted by NUPE4LIFE:
Silver Spur, Iota Phi Theta is the only NPHC organization that has official sweethearts that are recognized by their national office. Other Bro./Sis. Organizations are banned from the rest of the Divine Nine. Why? Iota Phi Theta became a member of the NPHC in 1996. Their use of sweethearts was sort of grandfathered in. Do you see what I mean. They came in after the ruling came down so they were still allowed to have an official sweetheart organization. That's not to say that there aren't some underground lil bro/lil sis organizations still running around out there. I hope this was of some help to you.

------------------
"I like to do what I can do when I can do it"
Old 10-27-2000, 11:25 AM
Corn Dog

Question

Are DeltaGents and MiAKA's "official"? or are they considered sweethearts?
Old 10-27-2000, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Gamma Rho has the Rhoers and the Philos.

The Rhoers are girls in junior and/or senior high school. And the Philos are friends of Sigma (our mothers, grandmothers, good friends...) that believe in our ideals and principles, but for whatever reason could not pursue membership into the sorority.

Old 10-27-2000, 05:54 PM
Roman

The Greek Sytem is the downfall of a large percentage of our youth. Little rich mommy's boys and daddy's girls from north Jersey ride around the collective campus of America, with NY Yankees stickers and a brand new Lexus they got for graduation, after trading in the sub-par BMW they got for the big sixteen. Not to mention, the smug little attitudes most portay. A mini Hollywood is created from the Greek system, with the same results: booze, mind-erasing drug use, and the eventual spread of STD's, which is said to infect a whopping 29% of sorority girls. Don't get me wrong, there are many positive aspects, but there are many negative.
Old 10-27-2000, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Speaking for Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. We do not have nor do we recognize any sweetheart organizations. There are still groups out like Kappa Diamonds or Pretty Girls Inc. These are girls who were once affiliated with Kappa through being a sweetheart but have since incoporated themselves into their own organization. Like I said earlier, there are still sweetheart organizations out there. They are illegal. And sadly enough there are some chapters of my org. that still have sweetheart. That goes for other NPHC fraternities as well. The only official group we recognize are our KAPPA SILOUHETTES. These are wifes of Kappa Men. That's it.

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 10-27-2000, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Would it be kosher to ask why they were outlawed? It seems to me that having sweethearts would be a good thing. BTW If it's secret, no problem.
Old 10-27-2000, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Dewgirl, You had better be careful what you ask. People get offended easily around here.

Not you MN.

Old 10-27-2000, 10:03 PM
c&c1913

Dewgirl,

I suggest you visit the Delta Sigma Theta forum, Alpha Kappa Alpha forum, and I believe Kappa Alpha Psi's forum and perform a search. Enter Lil' brother/sister organizations and you'll find several threads on this topic. A lot of them were closed because the issue and comments got out of hand.

------------------
Sisterhood, Scholarship, & Service
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
"Intelligence is the Torch of Wisdom"
Old 10-28-2000, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Both groups, along with other "sweetheart" orgs were outlawed in 1990. Many of these groups (under slightly modified names) are now incorporated into their own entity.

Quote:
Originally posted by Corn Dog:
Are DeltaGents and MiAKA's "official"? or are they considered sweethearts?

------------------
mccoyred

Dynamic
Salient
Temperate
Old 10-28-2000, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
As always, I'd like to further my understanding about various aspects of greek life. Can anyone suggest any links (outside of greekchat, too) where I might learn about Zeta Phi Beta, Inc. and Sigma Gamma Rho, Inc.'s official auxilliaries? Thanks in advance.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Always
Seek
Knowledge
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 10-28-2000, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
I've got some interesting perspective on "little" organizations - my own sisterhood grew out of such an organization to an IFC fraternity. I can't speak for all "little" organizations, but this group were strong in and of themselves, and were already functioning as a unified, distinct entity when the fraternity's national org. decided to phase out all little sister organizations.

I say kudos to little or auxilliary groups...as long as they are being productive as an organization. My biggest pet peeve is the groupie mentality - why associate yourself with something if it's doing nothing for you, and you nothing for it (or perhaps you are, and the experience is one-sided?). Saying that, I must also express that little groups probably needed to be phased out, if they were detracting from the purpose of the "big" organizations they were connected to, and not serving any real purpose for the "little's" members.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Always
Seek
Knowledge
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies