GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,635
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, BCNAmbrose

Old 01-18-2008, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

another spring 2008 live recruitment thread!

so, i have been inspired by my twin sister, who goes to a different school than me and also has a recruitment thread on here somewhere, to write a live recruitment thread. i go to an east coast school where greek life is definitely present, but clearly not as much as in many southern schools. we have eight sororities:

alpha chi omega
alpha phi
chi omega
delta delta delta
kappa alpha theta
phi sigma sigma
sigma delta tau
sigma kappa

we have already gone through the first two days of rush, which were the open houses that gave us a chance to get a feel for the girls in each house. our rush takes place at night, because it's during classes, so our attire so far has been business casual, and i've worn business slacks both nights paired with a high-neck cream blouse with beading on the sleeves for the first night and a black sequined tunic top for the second night. you can definitely feel the nerves and tension amongst the girls. and on top of that we've been having to deal with very very cold weather! ok, so my next post will be about my first impressions of each house. i haven't come up with clever nicknames yet, so that will have to wait too.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-18-2008, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
yay!
Old 01-18-2008, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! I hope you get the invites you want!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm loving this new round of recruitment threads...I am needing the distraction from work right now.

Any chance you and your twin sister could become sorority sisters as well?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

good luck to you!
Old 01-18-2008, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Yay! Another SDT thread!

Good luck!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 01-18-2008, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh I know what school you are at but I won't tell. Good luck!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

i've decided to nickname the different sororities after disney movies (of course, in no specific order):

snow white
cinderella
belle
mulan
sleeping beauty
pocahontas
jasmine
ariel

and now, i finally begin my story. i went into rush with a two favorite sororities, based on reputation and girls i had met in them first semester, which is a definite result of having delayed rush. i tried to keep an open mind about the other six, knowing that there was the very real possibility that i had not discovered my favorite house yet.

OPEN HOUSE, night 1
pocahontas- this was my first house, and therefore the one that i was the most nervous at. the girl who greeted me at the door was very friendly and outgoing, which made things a little bit easier, but i know that i tripped over my words a lot during my conversations with the various girls. this house has a stereotype at my school that definitely presented itself as i continued to meet it's members, but this stereotype is neither a bad one or a good one, more like a fact. one of the girls i talked to ended up knowing one of my best friends mothers, and for some reason talking to her put me at ease and allowed me to open up and really be myself. though i left this house feeling as if i ultimately would probably not accept a bid here, i really did want to come back for the next round and get to know more girls.

belle- this house is like the third of the top three on our campus. the girls here were known to be pretty, sweet, and really down to earth. i definitely noticed that to be true, but there was also a very athletic component to this sorority that did not fit me at all. nevertheless, the girls could not have been friendlier. the conversation in belle did know flow as easily as it had in pocahontas, but i was still interested in what they had to say, and they seemed interested in me. i left planning on ranking belle in my top six and hopefully returning here for the next round.

ariel- arielle is considered to be one of the not so popular houses on our campus. it is known to be one of, although not the, easiest houses to get into. upon entering arielle, i expected to meet a lot of unattractive awkward girls, but this was not the case. there was definitely a mix of girls here, a very diverse group. although there weren't many awkward pauses in the conversations i had with the girls at arielle, i cannot remember what we talked about at all. i was definitely ready to leave by the time the round ended and did not plan on coming back.

jasmine- i knew very little about jasmine before visiting. the one thing i had heard was that jasmine got all of the cinderella rejects. it's not considered to be a top house on our campus, but it isn't a bottom house either. the girl who met me at the door was absolutely beautiful and very sweet too. i had a lot of fun having very comfortable casual conversations with the jasmine girls. again, the mix of girls was very diverse. out of all the houses i saw during open house rounds, jasmine was the most pleasant surprise, as i hadn't expected much from this house at all. jasmine definitely belonged in my top six.

after the night ended, i felt a lot more comfortable with the rush process as a whole, and my ability to carry on conversations filled with small talk. however, i went to bed very nervous for the next night, as i had yet to visit either one of my top two houses going into rush.

OPEN HOUSE, night 2
cinderella- for some reason, cinderella has always been a house i've wanted to be a part of, even before knowing anything about the chapter on our campus. i had met a few cinderella girls during first semester, as well as seen them out together at parties and bars, and they just seemed like a really fun close group of girls. cinderella is one of the top two houses at our school. they are known for having really beautiful (mostly blonde), wealthy party girls in there house. i have to say that cinderella met all of my expectations. i absolutely loved talking to each and every one of the girls in this house. they were all so friendly and bubbly, and we were easily able to carry on conversations that extended past school related topics (i.e. dorms, classes, major). when i left cinderella, this house was, without a doubt, my number one.

snow white- snow white was another house i knew very little about. they had a very interesting and unique physical house, which i really liked. the girls i met here were really friendly and easy to talk to. we talked about everything from studying abroad in europe to shopping. i did learn that this house was unable to reach quota last year and resorted to COB. however, i still left snow white feeling that i would be happy to return.

sleeping beauty- this house has the absolute worst reputation on our campus. there is even a cruel nickname attached to it. they never manage to reach quota and are by far the smallest house on campus. the girls here are known to be the ones that were unable to get in anywhere else. i also know a girl in my hall who is a sleeping beauty, and she is the most inappropriate, loud, obnoxious girls i have ever met. i did not like my visit at sleeping beauty any more than i had expected. everything bad i had heard proved to be true. because the house was so small, there were two pnm's to every sister, and i found myself more interested in chatting with the other pnm than the sister. also, i felt like the girls here were trying way too hard to impress is. it sort of came off as desperate and pathetic. sleeping beauty was at the very bottom of my list.

mulan- this was the other house i went into rush expecting to love. this house is the other top house on our campus. the girls here are all very much wealthy city girls who love to party and go clubbing. they were all very stylish and seemed very confident. the girl who met me at the door ended up knowing one of my close friends, and we hit it off right away. she was very sweet and we had a lot to talk about because we were both from the same city (we live like 10 minutes away from each other). she never left my side the whole time i was at mulan, and i ended up sitting around chatting with a group of girls instead of switching girls and only talking to one sister at any given time. i felt very comfortable here and knew that it deserved the wonderful reputation it has on our campus. i left mulan feeling that it was tied for my number one with cinderella. i loved them both so much!

at the end of the night, we had to rank our top six houses at number 1 and then the other two as 2 and 3. my list went as follows:

1.cinderella
1.mulan
1.pocahontas
1.jasmine
1.belle
1.snow white

2.ariel
3.sleeping beauty

Last edited by EskimoGirl; 01-19-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
This isn't important, but I just wanted to point out that Anastasia isn't a Disney movie. Moving on.

I LOVE your descriptions. You're really honest without necessarily throwing chapters under the bus. Sometimes I wish people could just be completely honest, but we know holding back is obviously the best way to not offend and you're doing a great job! Keep it up!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Banned

[quote=BabyPiNK_FL;1583828]This isn't important, but I just wanted to point out that Anastasia isn't a Disney movie. Moving on./quote]

you could always change anastasia to mulan....

but it's a common mistake i think because disney has so many animated movies about princesses that start with them living the hard life *well except maybe jasmine & mulan but they both go out on life changing events..but that's a whole other story** and then the princesses end up as royalty... so it's easy to see where eskimo made the mistake

aahh working at disney for 6 months, really gets you in the know of EVERYTHING disney lol
Old 01-19-2008, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

While we're in the nit-picky mood, the Princess from The Little Mermaid's name is spelled Ariel, not Arielle.

I hope you get the invites that you want!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Banned

anyways,

something i forgot to tell you.... GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueGBI View Post
Oh I know what school you are at but I won't tell. Good luck!
blueGBI, please don't think I'm attacking you personally for saying this because that's not my intention at all... It's just a trend I've been seeing recently, and I've also noticed that PNMs/GCers who post stories about their loved ones are even starting ask that we not post what school even if we know what school...

Is there really a need for GCers to say "Oh I know what school this is but don't worry, I won't say anything!" ? I mean, great that you know and all, but if I were a PNM posting a rush story, I'd be a little bit more hesitant in posting an honest rush experience if someone publicly said they knew what school I was at.

We encourage the PNMs to be honest, but discreet, when posting rush stories. True, it doesn't take a genius to figure out which sorority is which if you're familiar with the campus Panhellenic (made clear in NLH's rush thread), but I just think it's unnecessary to let everybody know that YOU KNOW what school she's at. I think it's better if we just kept that knowledge to ourselves.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I LOVE your code names! Haha I have a sister who's obsessed with Disney princesses, so I should tell her!

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
blueGBI, please don't think I'm attacking you personally for saying this because that's not my intention at all... It's just a trend I've been seeing recently, and I've also noticed that PNMs/GCers who post stories about their loved ones are even starting ask that we not post what school even if we know what school...

Is there really a need for GCers to say "Oh I know what school this is but don't worry, I won't say anything!" ? I mean, great that you know and all, but if I were a PNM posting a rush story, I'd be a little bit more hesitant in posting an honest rush experience if someone publicly said they knew what school I was at.

We encourage the PNMs to be honest, but discreet, when posting rush stories. True, it doesn't take a genius to figure out which sorority is which if you're familiar with the campus Panhellenic (made clear in NLH's rush thread), but I just think it's unnecessary to let everybody know that YOU KNOW what school she's at. I think it's better if we just kept that knowledge to ourselves.
They just want cookies, OTW!