GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,604
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, PhillyPoodle
» Online Users: 1,337
3 members and 1,334 guests
chironthearcher, Phrozen Sands

Old 03-31-2010, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticlicense View Post
So studying is not a valid reason not to attend a social function? Oh please. My daughter is in sorority and there are social events, including mixers she cannot attend because indeed she is studying, on *gasp* a Saturday night. She is a 3rd year student majoring in Chemical Engineering, so she pretty much studies all the time, including weekends. I cannot believe that I am reading statements like a have read on this thread ragging on girls who choose to study instead of attend a mixer. I thought getting an education was why these girls are in college.
My point wasn't that studying on a Saturday night is a bad thing. My point is that this is the EXCUSE (remember, we were talking about ridiculous excuses) that people use most often when they simply don't want to go to certain events. And yes, it is very well known that specific people simply don't want to attend those events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Oh, we had people who used the "I have to study" excuse to get out of mixers too (or who just stayed for the at-the-time required half hour and went home). Usually they were older sisters who were a little scared of the new and different fraternities we were mixing with that weren't the old reliables. We all have some lame sisters. It's the truth.
THIS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
I think everyone knows which girls are in majors that require them to study all time, which girls have a huge project due that week, and which girls wasted all their time on facebook/at the house/drinking. not to mention which girls think the fraternity they're mixing with is below them (or not their boyfriend's frat, where they want to hang out) and think that claiming they're studying is a way to get off scot free. And then they "study" (facebook) for an hour and then go out.
AND THIS!!! There are so many girls who only go to certain fraternity's mixers. It's stupid. When I was in school, I hung out with the Delta Chis ALL THE TIME. But I also attended mixers with the TKEs, Sig Taus, SKNs (a local), the hockey team, the lacrosse team, etc. etc. And I had a great time meeting new people and hanging out WITH MY SISTERS.

Nowadays, girls feel as though they can pick and choose what they want to attend.

And don't even get me started about excuses for philanthropies. We have girls who claim they have "so much studying to do" that they can't do Adopt-a-highway for an hour at 9am on a Sunday. Really?

Trust me... you know who wants to be there and who doesn't.

And again... why pay all that money if all you're going to do is "study" and show up to chapter meetings once a week?

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 03-31-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeticlicense View Post
So studying is not a valid reason not to attend a social function? Oh please. My daughter is in sorority and there are social events, including mixers she cannot attend because indeed she is studying, on *gasp* a Saturday night. She is a 3rd year student majoring in Chemical Engineering, so she pretty much studies all the time, including weekends. I cannot believe that I am reading statements like a have read on this thread ragging on girls who choose to study instead of attend a mixer. I thought getting an education was why these girls are in college.
Maybe your "DD" should resign her sorority membership if she needs to study all the time. Chapters do not need ghost members who only wear letters when it is convenient for them. Or maybe she needs to explore other degree options if she's feeling so overwhelmed with the requirements of her current major.

I managed to maintain a high GPA in an extremely difficult degree program without shirking the commitments I made to my sisterhood when I initiated. You find the time for the things you consider worthwhile.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:51 PM

Keep in mind this is coming from the parent, not the daughter. I mean, I know that on many a night I "studied" in my boyfriend's room. I told my parents the first part and left out the second.

But yeah, if you can't manage your time well enough that you never show up to events...freakin' quit. Not only are you wasting your money, but you are letting down the people you profess to care about - your sisters and most particularly your little.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thought I would bump this up since I keep getting PMs about it.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
You are not wrong, lady. AST rules say that you MAY NOT vote on ANY new member again for ANY reason unless they are brought up to standards board and standards board decides their punishment is to be voted on. In essence, it completely takes away from our ability to decide. On top of that, since our Greek Life Adviser on campus gets a cash bonus for placing all girls who go through recruitment, we can be (and have been) given mandatory QAs and snap bids. Don't like it? Too bad. You don't get the option to refuse them. At all. So we get stuck with girls who are wet blankets, who can't put together a coherent sentence, who drink like fish or who have slept with every Sigma Pi on the block and think it makes them cool....and we have no way to get them out.

We were recently put in a situation where we found out (three days before initiation) that some of our new girls had been bullying other ones pretty intensely, to the point where several wanted to drop. Because our president had kept it a secret from the chapter, we found out very late and were basically told, "it's too late to do anything. Just suck it up." Each girl that was a problem has CONTINUED to be a problem in our chapter, and we would be significantly better off without. But at some point, you can't revoke real membership without a very real reason...and "being someone that everyone in all GLCs hates, giving us a bad name with your attitude and making us look like bitches" don't really cut it.

If we had been able to drop them in a moment's notice while they were new members, our entire chapter would be better off.
Just bumping this post as one of the most truly effed up things I have ever read on GC, and I hope the situation at fantASTic's school has been changed and the Greek advisor thrown in the lake.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow…from trying to leave one NPC to join another, to pomping, to bizarre recruitment practices at someone's campus, to excuses for getting out of chapter events. This thread has it all! I do wonder whatever became of the OP.