GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,599
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, et23
» Online Users: 1,134
1 members and 1,133 guests
No Members online

Old 03-23-2010, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I honestly don't think it's so much the length as the attitude and the content. If your pledge period is more like a Dale Carnegie course or a Pretty Pretty Princess party and concentrates way too much on how the sorority can improve and benefit you (while impressing very little of the other side of that coin) it's not going to instill any loyalty. Not to mention that if you take out the component that makes most girls choose a group in the first place (i.e. liking the women in that individual chapter and wanting to become closer with them) in favor of a completely standardized and regimented program that gives you no time to get to know the majority of the group on a one to one basis, it's not going to magically make you any more loyal to the national group as a result.
Good points.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

OP: did they say they were very particular about the girls they vote in/are they known as a competitive chapter that doesn't often allow affiliates, OR did you just get that impression?

It's possible this was a failed attempt to impress you—sending their creme de la creme out to meet the new girl.

If it's the first, who knows what could happen. If the chapter is very different from your home chapter, you may not fit in. It happens.

Ditto to 33girl and LeslieAnne on the new member periods. I came away from mine with very little (except the ability to pomp). My pledge class didn't really gel until later that year.

Edit: this is pomping. Wrap a 1"x2" piece of tissue paper around a marker, stick to board. Put 20 or so boards together to make giant picture. There's a skit that goes with it—usually geared to kids.

Last edited by annabella; 03-23-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Pomping: not some crazy dance move.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella View Post

Edit: this is pomping. Wrap a 1"x2" piece of tissue paper around a marker, stick to board. Put 20 or so boards together to make giant picture. There's a skit that goes with it—usually geared to kids.

Do you just use the marker tops? I don't want to sound like a wet blanket but what do you do with the markers after you are done? That's a lot of plastic to toss.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
crash/
That's interesting. I've never seen that before. It looks like it would take forever though. Thanks for explaining. I thought it was some kind of dance.
/crash

"Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service." - E. M. Statler 1863 - 1928
Old 03-23-2010, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Pomping does take forever. We pomp floats for homecoming every year. The one year, my chapter did "Pirates of the Carribean" and they made a ship (an entire ship with people sitting inside) that had cannons on the side that would shoot out tissue paper pieces. Our treasure chest on the back of the ship would open and close. It was awesome!

As far as the OP goes, I'm really disappointed that newly initiated members think it is acceptable to just ditch your old sorority/ fraternity and initiate somewhere else. It scares me to think that these are the people who are the future of our organizations. Hasn't anyone ever heard of "loyalty" to their organizations? Maybe just hear about "loyalty" in general.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:27 PM

Re pomping: for us it consisted of brushing a ton of liquid glue over chicken wire and sticking squares of colored tissue paper in the holes. No markers were harmed in the making of our Homecoming floats.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Re pomping: for us it consisted of brushing a ton of liquid glue over chicken wire and sticking squares of colored tissue paper in the holes. No markers were harmed in the making of our Homecoming floats.
Hahahaha..I was thinking the same thing. Instead of markers being harmed...out fingers were sore as hell once we were done...Pomping starts out being fun, but after a while you're like "Holy Shit this is painful..can we stop...It's done being fun, now!"
Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Our pomping what somewhere in the middle- it was chicken wire and then strips of tissue paper was twisted around it and then puffed out. And it does take forever- about a week to pomp a normal float.

However I did meet one of my best friends while pomping- he was in the fraternity we were paired with for homecoming. He is now my oldest son's godfather. So for me, pomping will always be a great memory!

As for joining a second org- trying to keep both affilations straight and keep is secret from different people seems like too much work! And I cannot imagine trying to do it today with all the technology around.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 03-23-2010, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

-hijack-That's just for house decs—chickenwire pomping is still done for the floats, or freestanding objects in front of the boards (trees, buildings, etc). Groups are usually allowed to start pomping at the end of August up until HC (middle to end of October).

Most groups either save the markers from year to year or donate to childcare centers/schools after Homecoming. Some groups just get dowel rods of the appropriate thickness and cut them up. They also use pencils for more detailed areas.

It's like a giant, super-flammable color-by-numbers. -end hijack-
Old 03-23-2010, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey! So I have a quick question.

I am currently an initiated member in a sorority at my current school. However, I am transferring schools and don't want to join the same sorority at my new school. They DO have a chapter, but I have met with the girls and we just don't fit perfectly. However, I still would like to remain Greek, so is it possible to re-rush and start all over?!

Oboviously I would NEVER reveal any of my chapter's secrets to anyone else. I'd never do that.

I know at my school you have to wait a year or something after dropping to re-rush, is that the case at all schools?

How would the girls at my new school know I had ever joined a sorority? I know it's skummy but could I just rush anyways?

HELP Thanks!
You say you'd never reveal secrets yet you'll cheat to get into a new one. That makes me sad.

Last edited by HappyKappaMom; 03-23-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's like a giant, super-flammable color-by-numbers. -end hijack-
Our “pomps” are required to be flame retardant.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ditto to 33girl and LeslieAnne on the new member periods. I came away from mine with very little (except the ability to pomp).
One of our new members:

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey! So I have a quick question.

. . . How would the girls at my new school know I had ever joined a sorority? I know it's skummy but could I just rush anyways?

HELP Thanks!
Others have answered the how-would-they-know question very well; I'd just add that an amazing amount of information can come to chapters via the recommendation process. Even if you think recs won't be needed for recruitment or getting a bid at your new school, guess what? Some sororities require them as a matter of national policy. So if (when) one (or more) of those sororities checks with alums in your home town, and/or with its chapter at your current school, to get a rec on you, what are they going to find out?

Oh yeah:
1) you lied on your recruitment application where it asks if you've ever been initiated in an NPC sorority;
2) you're ineligible for NPC recruitment anywhere; and
3) most important -- they now have some juicy information that will just have to be shared in an appropriate, dignified manner (or whatever).

That'd be a fun way to start life on a new campus.

Last edited by exlurker; 04-17-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
Others have answered the how-would-the-know question very well; I'd just add that an amazing amount of information can come to chapters via the recommendation process. Even if you think recs won't be needed for recruitment or getting a bid at your new school, guess what? Some sororities require them as a matter of national policy. So if (when) one (or more) of those sororities checks with alums in your home town, and/or with its chapter at your current school, to get a rec on you, what are they going to find out?

Oh yeah:
1) you lied on your recruitment application where it asks if you've ever been initiated in an NPC sorority;
2) you're ineligible for NPC recruitment anywhere; and
3) most important -- they now have some juicy information that will just have to be shared in an appropriate, dignified manner (or whatever).

That'd be a fun way to start life on a new campus.
I'd also wonder if trying to join a new group, when one has obviously met their own sisters on the new campus, would lead to having membership totally revoked from the original group. That would definitely be a good way to get negative attention from many members of the greek system, and have no alumna experience.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
no. the problem is actually that they are very perticular with the types of girls they choose to join their chapter and I don't think they'd choose to vote me in.
All you can do is try. I would not second-guess them. Look at it this way -- if they are prepared to accept you as a member of their chapter, why wouldn't you return their sisterly regard and give them a chance? If they won't accept you, then take early alum status and investigate other campus clubs and organizations.

You are only in charge of yourself. You can't control the actions of others. Act in an honorable way, and let the chips fall where they may. Think of it as a character-building exercise.