GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,583
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, CallieLand
» Online Users: 2,072
4 members and 2,068 guests
g41965, MethrenLusia, Xidelt

Old 03-28-2010, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's what I want to know....

Why do we have so many young and quite honestly, stupid, girls coming on these boards asking "can I quit my NPC sorority and join a new NPC sorority?". Hello! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this taught during a new member period? I'm pretty sure I learned it as an Alpha and that was back 12 years ago when I joined and initiated.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-28-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
Here's what I want to know....

Why do we have so many young and quite honestly, stupid, girls coming on these boards asking "can I quit my NPC sorority and join a new NPC sorority?". Hello! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this taught during a new member period? I'm pretty sure I learned it as an Alpha and that was back 12 years ago when I joined and initiated.
I guess some feel so entitled that they should be granted an exception.

I agree with your comments. If I was in a situation as a collegian where I had to transfer and it looked like I wasnt going to fit in with the other chapter, why not go alum? YOu can still sport your letters. You ARE STILL A MEMBER!

Theta is so near and dear to my heart. I just cant fathom doing such a thing to Theta or myself (and I am a 2001 initiate).
Old 03-28-2010, 11:06 PM

It's called the "I know the rules but think my situation is soooo unique that they must not apply to me" syndrome.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

These new members are the off spring of Heli-moms. These Super Special Snowflakes have learned from their mothers that rules simply don't apply to them if they get in the way of what they want.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
I guess some feel so entitled that they should be granted an exception.

I agree with your comments. If I was in a situation as a collegian where I had to transfer and it looked like I wasnt going to fit in with the other chapter, why not go alum? YOu can still sport your letters. You ARE STILL A MEMBER!

Theta is so near and dear to my heart. I just cant fathom doing such a thing to Theta or myself (and I am a 2001 initiate).

I agree with everyone in this thread regarding these girls who want to quit their NPC and just join another one. I have to say, things like this make me think that the NPHC has it right. You have women that come into our organizations with no respect for them or loyalty. Whatever happened to being a loyal member of your organization? Is it just me or have women (and some men) not learned about this stuff? I remember being told that once an initiated member of the NPC, ALWAYS a member (for whatever organization you were initiated into).

Wow! I'm just in disbelief.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I note that the OP has not responded. I think everyone has disabused her of her notion to transfer schools and go through rush again.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the "problem" is that the current generation of students entering college have the "entitled" feeling because they have been given everything they want by either parents, grandparents and even teachers. You wouldn't believe the stupid teenagers I have to deal with in my BIO 201 class who act like they are entitled (ex. they wanted the teacher to push back a test because of Easter. They actually convinced her to push back a test for the super bowl). Now, I'm not saying that all the people in this generation behave this way, but I think this generation will be known as the "entitled generation" (where I grew up as like generation x or y or some letter of the alphabet. LOL)

Old 03-29-2010, 03:18 PM

I thought this was interesting:

Narcissism & Young People

http://www.usnews.com/health/family-...sists-now.html

I'm tempted to purchase that book. Maybe it would help me out in my advising role
Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
They actually convinced her to push back a test for the super bowl).
Was this for this year or last year? If it was last year, when the Cardinals were playing, I don't know why anyone would have scheduled any tests (or Monday classes) to begin with.

And trust me...it isn't just the generation. It's the pledge program. (or lack of same)
Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Was this for this year or last year? If it was last year, when the Cardinals were playing, I don't know why anyone would have scheduled any tests (or Monday classes) to begin with.

And trust me...it isn't just the generation. It's the pledge program. (or lack of same)
Maybe it is a Panhellenic problem by not educating PNM's during the recruitment process that it is for life and once initiated you absolutely cannot ever join another NPC group period.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is a Panhellenic problem by not educating PNM's during the recruitment process that it is for life and once initiated you absolutely cannot ever join another NPC group period.
I thought of that too, but I think NPC would be somewhat afraid of doing that in that women might misinterpret during the craziness of rush and think that they weren't allowed to depledge.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

[hijack]No it was this years super bowl. But for me the thing is, your in college now. You aren't entitled to anything except getting an education. You know when tests, projects, homework is due, stop making excuses on why "it can't" be done and why you can't study. I'm sorry, even if the Cardinals had made it to the super bowl this year, I still would have studied. Hello, all frickin weekend. Unless you plan on being wasted all weekend. [end hijack]

I just think today's generation is full of excuses.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I just think today's generation is full of excuses.
Yes. Quite pitiful ones I might add! I can write VOLUMES on the excuses I have received over the past two years as a recruitment advisor regarding recruitment excuses and why people cant/think they cant show up to recruitment, workshops, practices, etc.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes. Quite pitiful ones I might add! I can write VOLUMES on the excuses I have received over the past two years as a recruitment advisor regarding recruitment excuses and why people cant/think they cant show up to recruitment, workshops, practices, etc.
EXACTLY.

When I was active, I went to everything, and so did the rest of my chapter... without question. Unless you had a wedding, sporting event, or work that you just couldn't get out of, excuses were unheard of.

NOW... I have never heard so many excuses from girls. People make up excuses so that they don't have to go to MIXERS! Why would you want to miss out on the fun stuff? And sometimes, it's because they're "studying"... on a Saturday night. Ironically, the chapter's GPA was a whole lot higher when I was active than it is now, and we had twice as many mixers as they do now.

And not too long ago, I had put on a recruitment workshop. Only half of the chapter attended. A few girls had legitimate excuses, but when 15 girls in a chapter of 27 show up, what's the point?

A girl I know from another school who is active in her chapter right now told me that they have started making certain events optional to attend, which, as she put it, kind of sucks. It's good in that she finds that the only girls who show up to things are the ones who truly want to be there. However... it also showed her who doesn't really care, and who's taking up space in the chapter, and not leaving room for potential members who want to contribute something. But now, there's nothing they can do about it because these girls aren't required to go to anything.

The thing that confuses me most about this... why would you want to pay hundreds (and in some cases, thousands) of dollars for.. well.. nothing?

@~/~~~~
Old 03-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

I have a GREAT mp3 that I received in email that would play perfectly here. If somebody wants to tell me how to post it, I'd be happy to try.

33, I just emailed it to you, if you know how to post them.

Last edited by honeychile; 03-29-2010 at 11:29 PM.