GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Gamma Rho
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,671
Threads: 115,521
Welcome to our newest member, jaesstop8966
» Online Users: 821
1 members and 820 guests
g41965

Old 07-21-2000, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Why Aren't Greeks Popular Anymore?

I've been thinking about this for quite a while, when I entered college Greek life was a part of the whole extracuricular college experience. Today on many, not all, college campuses it is not even a relevant thing to do. Why? I would like to know how my sorors feel about this, is it like this on your yards? I believe that one reason is that as a whole many BGLO'S don't represent in a unified manner not even in their own respective organizations. I've witnessed visible separation,cliques within cliques, catty conversations and the like. I've had non-Greeks express the the concern of not having true bonds and paying membership fees to still feel isolation. What do you think? I'm not talking about one organization in particular either, this goes for frats and sororities.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-21-2000, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

I know you said that you want your sorority sisters to answer but I just had to give my opinion as a nongreek because I'd wondered the same thing. I think that many people are beginning to feel like joining an organization is something people do to be a part of a group. More and more I've noticed that when you go to particular events you have an separate but equal act where all members of a certain organization are together and a group of nongreeks are pushed as outsiders in many eyes. I feel nothing is wrong with representing but when you come into contact with that all the time if you don't know any better that's the only thing you'll think about them, "Greeks just wear letters and hang out" stuff like that. That is why I must agree to your comment on the separation and cliques. Nowadays many people want to be individuals and they don't want anyone to believe that because they are a member of a particular organization they are a groupie.
Old 07-22-2000, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I think this is a very interesting topic. Especially in metropolitin areas. It becomes increasingly hard to recruit because of a lack of visibility. I mean, its easy to see Greeks chillin' with each other on the yard, and partying. But you don't really hear about our service activities going on throughout different city centers. Also, the media gives us absolutely no play. So here it's a visibility factor. I'd IMAGINE (but I can't really know for sure) thats its easier to recruit and get interested members if you eat, sleep, study, work, etc... all on one campus. If you go to a commuter school, you'd be lucky if you could get students to support your programs. Everyone's in such a hurry to get class overwith and just get to work. So to onlookers in the the city areas, Greek lfe, offhand, doesn't look like much worth joining.
Old 07-22-2000, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you all for replying to me and please if there is anyone else out there who has a comment by all means leave it. I welcome it. Soror SoloRHO, you are right, as a member of a metro chapter it is hard, but as membership chair it just means more work for me, I welcome the work because I want all the young ladies to see me and my sorors working hard and representing hard. To Codeblue, I don't mean to discourage you from Greek life but I just wanted others to know how I've been seeing things, thanks for your comments.
Old 07-23-2000, 04:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Since I go to a commuter school I understand were you are coming from although we are not a metro chapter. Amazingly, it's not just Greek life that is less interesting here though. I can remeber that my sands were surprised that we even had a student activity board. they didn't even know it existed!

At a a ommmuter school you are face with people who are really on the go from work to family to school and that is why it is important to have more than just parties. You need to show that you are helping the community and sometimes you have to get on the papers back to let the community know what you are doing. I am looking forward to one of the best years for Epsilon in along time and I have so many plans. We are the oldest Black Greek organization in The area and we have never been inactive I refuse to let us go down and it is just up to us to make sure that those out there are listening to the positive and realizing that we are more than just social cliques.

And therefore we must show them this is true

[This message has been edited by blu_theatrics (edited July 24, 2000).]
Old 07-23-2000, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Go 'head sorors. Keep repn' for the blue and gold. Thats what I like.
And Blu and Rhoyal, do u notice how at our commuter schools not only is it hard to get people to supprt programs, but that the ones who usually do are members of other orgs. I.E., the Black Student Union, Caribean Student Association, BGLOC, all support each others events.
Thats how it is at my school. Sometimes they just look like one big E-board meeting. LOL And although i mention parties, those don't get much play either. SJU really is in the middle of nothing. Students may come to go to school. But they'll be damned if they come all the way back out (on the bus or train) for a party!!!
Ohhhh, if I don't laugh I just might cry. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get support.
It's alright though. We will all stand strong, all BGLO's no matter what. U cant just erase so much history and let it die into nothingness. We all love our org's too much for that. Even if we have to keep recruiting when we're 100 years old!
Yeep Out!!
Old 07-24-2000, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

A big problem that we have with parties on campus is the fact that you can't have any liqour on campus.
Now after something like a neophyte you can get people to STAY for a prty, but to come back out like you said Sorhor is really a task in itself.

But this semester we are sponsoring some off-campus things just for fun, to at least get people to do something you know, because like you said I am one of those people who knows and supports all the organizations and it really upsets me when people say there is nothing to do on campus. They are just lazy or won't look, I don't know, but we just had a new gym built and know people are like We have a basketball time, wow. And I'm thinking we've always had one, you just wouldn't support them in the old gym...lol

But like I said, keep your head up, keep your hearts in your work and the true people will always be there for you