GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,700
Threads: 115,522
Welcome to our newest member, bradauasd4780
» Online Users: 1,100
2 members and 1,098 guests
g41965, IrishLake

Old 08-05-2008, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone interested in a retro rush story from 1989?

1989, my god, that was a million years ago! I would love to tell you my story, see if anyone can guess where I went to school (the greek system has changed A LOT since I left) and to see if the reputations of the houses have changed/stayed the same.

Anyone interested??!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned

YES!!

Actually, I'm categorically interested in all recruitment threads as long as they are halfway coherent. But the older and frillier (and more brutally honest) they are, the better.
________
VAPORIZERS

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok. I went to a pretty large school. I don't really want to say where yet or even a geographical area but I will, knowing I will give it away. I went to a mid-atlantic school with a pretty substantial competitive rush. I rushed a sophmore and to say I was clueless is an understatement. I really found a lot of myself in college (good and bad), am still finding myself so I will sprinkle some of what I learned once I get into my sorority.

So, in 1989 my school had the following chapters which I have coded with NFL teams. (MANY MANY sororities have come and gone so it's not the same anymore -- lots of fraternities have come and gone too. The school is/has gone through some changes!)

Detroit Lions
San Diego Chargers
New York Giants
Green Bay Packers
St. Louis Rams
Baltimore Ravens
Chicago Bears
Pittsburg Steelers
New York Jets
Buffalo Bills
Washington Redskins
Miami Dolphins
Minnesota Vikings
Denver Broncos
Cincinnati Bengals
Philadelphia Eagles
Indianapolis Colts
New Orleans Saints
Atlanta Falcons (sorry this is a last minute edit. I think I may need to do some additional editing in my later posts.)

I don't know if it's "proper" to list the houses. Should I now or should I wait until the end to tell you the codes?

Last edited by millionyearsago; 08-05-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

This will be cool. I normally don't read rush stories.

I would also love to read a rush story from the 1970s, if that's possible.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I am definitely interested! And as for listing the houses, you can if you feel comfortable. Personally I don't see a problem with posting a list of the chapters on campus at the time, even if you do decide to be "brutally honest". If you do end up going that route though, then I would say probably best not to post the codes at the end.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I am very intrested in reading about your 80's rush story!

GO CHICAGO BEARS!!!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I don't remember what I wore to every party or in what order I visited the parties. So my memories may be pretty disjointed.

We had set of 18 or "Tours" split into two days.

Then set of 10

Then set of 6

Then Preference (3 houses.)

This was before release numbers, computerized returns, you're guaranteed to have a bid if you go to maximum parties, etc.

Ok. I really really wanted to join a sorority and don't really have an excuse as to why I didn't rush as a freshman. But I didn't. I remember one night when I was walking back from a guys dorm who I met and we started seeing each other and I was walking up by where many of the sorority houses are I kept hearing cheering and yelling and seriously thought the cheerleaders were practicing. This is how crazyily ignorant I was.

Side bar about the guy: he was NEVER going to rush a fraternity and we broke up when I got back together with my loser boyfriend. The guy ended not only rushing and pledging the quintessical fraternity on campus but became president. Crazy!

So I finally rushed as a sophmore. I had so so grades. I was pretty cute. I wouldn't say I was socially awkward I really wouldn't. But I was pretty quiet and sweet and smart I just was clueless. I have always been preppy , from a very affluent county but not rich myself. I really discovered my taste in clothing/music etc in college and had a social life. I had a social life in high school but not the type of social life that I wanted until college and being in a sorority had a huge impact.

I won't lie. I wanted to be in a sorority to be popular and pretty. I wanted to be in a top house but had no clue who the top houses were. I grew up watching Revenge of the Nerds and wanted to be a Pi and not an Omega Mu!

So tours was CRAZY. Back then it was in the fall semester. I remember I wore a green skirt my second day of tours but don't remember anything else.

This was before no frills rush.

The sororities were full on -- banging on the doors and then rushing onto the lawns and doing a choreographed dance and then bringing you in. It was wild.

My opinions of the houses were as follows:

Detroit Lions -- they were one of my favorites. The girls were super pretty. Funny how without knowing which houses were "top" I knew right away which ones were because the prettiest girls were where I wanted to be with. I remember I had (or thought I had) an exra ticket to the football game and thought I had the ticket on me. I was going to give it to the girl but didn't have it on me. I also realized that my nails weren't done and I think she noticed that too. Crazy how maybe I'm not an ignorant as I thought.

Let me back up a second: I was a legacy to New York Giants through my aunt. My grandmother by marriage was a Denver Bronco, my great grandmother by marriage was a Minnesota Vikings and my bf's two sister in laws were a Washington Redskins and Detroit Lions. I put all that down on my sheet and didn't ask anyone for a single rec. I had no clue I needed any. Ignorant yet again. I do wonder if getting a rec would have helped me as I loved Detroit Lions, Broncos and Vikings very very much.

Chargers -- small house. That was the kiss of death on my campus. You needed to see numbers!!

Giants -- legacy there. Liked the house but there was an older girl from my high school who was in the house and for some reason I wanted to go to another house because of that. I liked her but wanted to be "better" than her.

Packers -- one of the "Jewish" houses and lower tiered at that. Didn't know anyone in that house nor any other sorority for that matter.

Rams -- yikes. So sad. Very very small house. They came out in black shorts, white oxfords, cummberbune, bow tie and they had to restart their dance. It was very sad to see them struggling so much.

Ravens -- another "Jewish" house and probably the "lowest" of the Jewish houses

Bears -- decent house. Down to earth middle of the road house. If I had been honest with myself, I would think I would fit in great with them.

Steelers -- another struggling house. They were way too enthuisastic and though they had some higher numbers than the rest of the struggling houses (there were several then) I remember knowing I would cut them.

Jets -- another Jewish house of average reputation.

Bills -- top tier. They were directly across from another top tier house and between the two of them screaming from inside their houses to rushing out doing their lawn dance it was a sight. A girl I went to junior high school who was so rich she NEVER bought anything on sale ended up being their president. It was a bit Jewish (the school has a large jewish population) and it was a good house full of pretty girls.

Redskins -- my favorite going in. Though I wasn't so jazzed about their house. It was the girls I liked. Their lawn dance as we were exiting I can still sing today. Top tier all the way.

Dolphins -- lower tier. Struggling. Two girls my freshman year ended up pledging there and they were so cute but I was surprised they went there. It was kinda weird seeing them at parties after living in the same hall but not really talking. They probably didn't know what to do with me. Invite me back? Cut me before I cut them? Weird.

Vikings --Top tier. Preppy pretty girls. Lots of cheerleaders were from this house. They all wore pearls. And those sweaters with the rounded design on the neck that Mallory Keaton wore. LOVED these girls.

Broncos -- their house was the castle. They were beautiful sophisticated girls. So out of my league I can't even tell you.

Bengals -- another middle tiered down to earth house full of cool girls. Thinking back could see myself in that house. Ended up working with a girl and she was so beyond cool.

Eagles -- probably the bottom of the top tiered house. Smart. Pretty.

Colts -- another struggling chapter. In fact, I think they were recolonizing so they had what -- 25 girls when the good houses had 120.

Falcons -- the top Jewish house.

Saints -- they were colonizing. All the party consisted of was alumnae singing and then a presentation. They would rush after all the bids were handed out.

After the 18 houses you automatically dropped Saints. So that left you 5 houses that you had to cut (providing you were asked back by all houses.)

I truly thought that the rushee decided where they wanted to go. I knew it was mutually decided but I didn't really believe that.

I was invited back to all houses except Lions which was heartbreaking! I thought it was because I either didn't have the ticket on me like I thought and/or my nails weren't done. Looking back, it was probably that but also my grades. I think they cut if you had less than a 3.2 GPA which I didn't have.

I cut: chargers, giants, rams, steelers, colts

*Sorry that I forgot to add the Falcons until just now. It doesn't affect the houses who cut me, who I cut. I just may have gotten my numbers confused. I think having the Saints colonizing and dropping out made me forget to not keep them in my total number of houses I could go to/went to. I'm so sorry for the confusion!

Last edited by millionyearsago; 08-05-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
GO!!!!

Last edited by banditone; 08-05-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, my rush counselor (there is a story about her at the end) calls me and tells that I was cut by the Eagles and that she substituted the Giants. Funny how she knew the other houses I had cut should remain cut. Though she didn't ask me, she just did it. It didn't bother me that she put back the Giants but it did bother me that I would have to go into that house and see my hs friend and feel awkward.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I am excited about this story! I wonder what school this is for. I don't know which school has had a lot of chapters come and go like this...
Old 08-05-2008, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

So it was set of 10 and was going back to:

Giants, Packers, Ravens, Bears, Jets, Bills, Redskins, Vikings, Broncos, Bengals

Not so bad if you ask me.

Looking back considering I was a sophmore with decent grades but not sorority grades I did very very well. I thought this was how it was going to go. I get cut a bit but the majority of the cutting was to be done by me.

I remember some of the girls who were in my rush group and seeing their expressions after walking out of a certain house to be very surprising. I remember seeing this completely stuck up snot waiting outside another house that she was going in and learning she had depledged during iniation week the year before (story about her at the very very end.)

Notice I was invited to all of the jewish houses and I was and am still not jewish. I thought that was strange but not really. I don't think. I figured it would all remedy itself eventually.

Set of 10 was well, I don't really remember. Except I remember asking my favorite house the Redskins if they had to "approve" the guys I date or something to that affect. I was figuring out what a loser my boyfriend was and knew we were going to break up. And I wonder if dating him got out because he was a really effing loser. The Redskins girl who was so cute said of course they don't tell you who you can date. She was actually very cool about that.

The girl I talked to at the Bills gave me a nametag. Even though I had one. And then took it off of me when I left. Looking back I knew it was a code. The name tag on her left hand -- cut me, on her right hand -- keep me in.

The girls I talked to at Vikings -- where all the cheerleaders were from piqued my interest. I was a cheerleader in high school and mentioned that. I also mentioned I woul dlove to try out but I wasn't 120 pounds. I was by no means fat. Simply imploding right infront of one of my favorite houses.

I don't remember any other conversations I had but do not remember getting a sense of me "figuring out" how to play the game. I was still walking through rush aimlessly.

Last edited by millionyearsago; 08-05-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Nametag signals?

I think I would have probably screwed that one up as the day progressed and mental exhaustion set in...
Old 08-05-2008, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Great story so far! I am curious about what chapters you visited but understand if you do not want to give out the code yet. Also, I appreciate that this "retro" thread is just that ... retro in my mind means at least a decade old. Yippee for the 80's and frilly rush!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I also love all recruitment stories. Keep it coming!
Old 08-05-2008, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

LOVE this one!!! update soon please