GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,498
0 members and 1,498 guests
No Members online

Old 01-11-2006, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Confused about Spring Recruitment

I'm at freshman at UF and have learned that there's going to be a "Spring Recruitment" January 19th. Only a few chapters will be offering bids, but I'm really confused as to how it works.

I know that there'll be representation from each chapter at a "fair" during the day, and an informational session later on, but how do bids work during a recruitment such as this?

If you have any similar spring rush experiences, I'd LOVE to hear them (via e-mail or anything convenient) to know what I'm getting myself into (lol ) and if you could walk me through a rush such as this, I would be REALLY happy.

Thanks in advance!

A (hopefully) future Greek,
Christina
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

christina, go to the information fair and to the informational session. they will probabl;y answer all your questions at one of those events. you may even have the opportunity to ask a few questions yourself!

typically, a chapter holding informal recruitment will have some casual get togethers -bowling, going out for icecream, an invitation to come over to the house and watch a movie or popular tv show, or just an invitation to come over to the house for dinner. invitations are issued either word of mouth or via email. if there seems to be a connection between the chapter and the pnm, they will invite her to a few more events, so that more chapter members can get to know her. after the chapter feels that they know enough about the pnm to make a decision, they will decide to extend a bid(an invitation to join the sorority) or not.

some chapters divide themselves up into smaller groups. each group invites a pnm to do something and then after a few events the chapter will have a larger event where all the groups come together for a larger event so that everyone can meet the pnms and the pnms can meet other chapter members.

some campuses have a little more structured informal recruitment where the pnms would go to each chapter participating in informal recruitment on one night--then invitaitons would be issued for other events.

good luck chriatina, and keep us updated!!
Old 01-11-2006, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
When my chapter was new and still pretty much getting started, we did "informal" recruitment in the spring. It was structured in that it lasted for one week, but the parties functioned more like COB events. Girls who were interested were invited to come to the house at a certain time and just sort of chat with the members...I think we served some simple food and drinks, that sort of thing. The next night was the same thing, for those who couldn't attend the first night. After that, the parties switched from open to invite, and I think we did that for a couple nights as well with bids being offered at the end of the week. Of course, we also did regular COB events, too. Sometimes a girl would be offered a bid after one COB event, or after several, it just depended. While I don't know exactly how everything works at your school, I can tell you that informal rush is a lot more laid-back that formal rush so that might ease your mind a little bit.