GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,647
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, Rachiokzo
» Online Users: 1,130
2 members and 1,128 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 06-11-2009, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
I could care even less if any comments were forthcoming from some jerk who belonged to some sort of bottom feeder house of which he wasn't proud enough to wear his own letters.
LOL - I love it!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM

I still wear my letters occasionally. I just turned 30, but still look 20 apparently because that is what people often think when they first meet me.

I mainly wear letter sweatshirts here and there, but not to relive glory days. It's just part of my wardrobe--if it is clean, warm, and hanging in my closet or folded in my drawer then I'll wear it. I do still wear some rush and party shirts around the house or to the gym or when running early morning errands. So while I still wear my letters, I dont make it a point to wear them everyday or several times a week like I did when I was an active collegian member As others have stated, if people giving you crappy looks about it, then the problem lies with them, not you.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekeguy View Post
I could care less what some random GDI has to say. I could care even less if any comments were forthcoming from some jerk who belonged to some sort of bottom feeder house of which he wasn't proud enough to wear his own letters. I haven't changed how I dress since forever and I see little reason to change now.

Amen!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I live in DC and I'm 27 and I wear my letters mostly to workout or when doing something outside. My boyfriend also wears his on occasion. I really don't see how its different than wearing any other college shirt?
I also didn't know that DC now has the fashion police... I'll have to remember that next time I'm near Howard.. haha.
I do have to say that I do love to count the Greek intern's on the metro in morning during summer
Old 06-16-2009, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish more alumnae of NPC organizations would wear their letters. One thing I've always admired about BGLOs is the commitment after graduating from college. There are too many men and women who join sororities and fraternities, love them during college, and forget them afterward.

I usually wear a piece of silver jewelry to work with my letters on it. It's somewhat discrete, but if you're having a conversation with me, you can plainly read it. I like wearing it because sometimes it strikes up a conversation with another Greek, or, even more excitingly, another Gamma Phi.

I did recently wear my lettered sweatshirt to the store to grab popcorn with my boyfriend, and felt a little funny about it. If more of us did it, it'd be easier for all of us.

Though there is something to be said for upgrading to a classy alumna wardrobe I'm less excited by t-shirts now than by classy sweaters, jewelry, or professional items (like portfolios, business card cases, etc.)
Old 06-16-2009, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
DITY?
Did I miss something?

Anyway, I haven't had a sockpuppet in like a year, I ran out of ideas.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Did I miss something?

Anyway, I haven't had a sockpuppet in like a year, I ran out of ideas.
I was joking...a long time ago.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I have no problem showing off my letters. I recently bought a hoodie that I bring to work with me just in case I get cold. I always wear a lavaliere when I go out, and I sometimes make it a point to wear letters when I go out in public in the hope of sparking a conversation (works too).

I've been out of school for 2 years now, but am still involved both locally and nationally.

I agree with you LABlone, we should all wear letters more often, and there should be more "adult" Greek-wear

Last edited by ask_bm001; 06-17-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I am also 28. I boxed up all of my Greek shirts and paraphanelia about two years after graduation. I see a few girls wearing lettered or party tshirts at the gym, but they are interns or very recent grads (most of the shirts have date or year on them).

I say do what you wish, though!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella796 View Post
I live in DC and I'm 27 and I wear my letters mostly to workout or when doing something outside. My boyfriend also wears his on occasion. I really don't see how its different than wearing any other college shirt?
I also didn't know that DC now has the fashion police... I'll have to remember that next time I'm near Howard.. haha.
I do have to say that I do love to count the Greek intern's on the metro in morning during summer
You've probably seen me on the metro in the morning...I intern in DC and I'm usually carrying a lettered bag to work.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
I just saw this picture...

...on the myDG site and it reminded me of this thread. This is a group of alumnae from San Francisco. Granted they're at a DG alum event, but they're all sporting their letters with style (in a medium that most would deem "collegian wear"). They look great!
Old 06-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Especially when I travel, I make sure I have my letters on my luggage, a pen, or something else that identifies me as an Alpha Delta Pi. I was beginning to think that I should quit, but I've met a lot of other greek alumnae who will notice ADPi and comment on it. Once, while flying, my seatmate grabbed my pen and said, "I had to see what letters you have there - I'm a Phi Mu!"

I signed on to be an ADPi for life, not just for 4 years, not just if I'm at an alumnae event.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
I signed on to be an ADPi for life, not just for 4 years, not just if I'm at an alumnae event.
Amen! I'm 28 and I still wear letters at least once a week...just because I can. (I work at a company that's VERY laid back - jeans and a T-shirt is the norm...) I love my lavalier, and I still have tote bags that I use. I just finished a season of co-ed softball with my church and I used an AXiD bag to carry my cleats and ball glove in to the field. I'm always hoping to strike up a a conversation with someone. There was a Phi Mu on my team, and the only reason i knew is because she wore a mixer shirt one time to practice.

I'm getting ready to travel to AXiD convention next week. I plan on using one of my tote bags as a carry on... I really dont care if anybody looks at me funny for wearing letters, but I make sure I dont look like I just rolled out of bed if I am going to wear letters....
Old 06-18-2009, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
My computer/messenger bag has my letters on it. Sometimes, when I'm traveling, I wear a letter shirt because I like to be comfortable when traveling. No one has ever stopped me and said something about my letters, or asked me about them, but I think it'll eventually happen!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I freaking HATE people like this - who say the Republicans are the Antichrist but act like jerks to anyone who doesn't share their views. Total a-holes. Lead me to them, I feel like punching someone.

That's when you wear your W t-shirt with your open sorority jacket over it.
Thank you for this =)