GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,565
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, arbertosusasd45
» Online Users: 1,890
0 members and 1,890 guests
No Members online

Old 09-17-2003, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Inter/National Conventions

Since I just have to be patient with my AI search, I would like to pass the time by learning some things about the life of a sorority alumna.

The topic I am most interested in at the moment is national or international conventions. What are these like? I realize that every organization is different, but I would love to read some of your stories. How many people attend? What kinds of things do you wear? What do you eat?! Do the locations change? Are the conventions annual? Are they outrageously expensive to attend? You get the idea...

I haven't been to any kind of convention since the state Key Club convention in high school!

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-17-2003, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

My thread on my experience this year

http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...threadid=35730
Old 09-17-2003, 10:10 PM

Conventions are usually held every two to three years. There's often a 'minor" event held in the off years. They are at different places around the country, but you'll see a lot of groups rotating through the same places like Scottsdale, Florida etc. This is usually because of the ease of getting to the area and convention facilities.

As far as everything else, this fluctuates wildly from org to org.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Most groups will have something on their websites regarding convention (site, dates-- pictures if it was last summer, registration information if it is coming up). There is another thread in the Greek Life Forum that asks where people had their last convention.

I have been to Pi Beta Phi's convention 11 times-- before I was elected to office, I saw it as a way to see the country, stay in nice hotels and keep up with friends. Now I have a much larger role, but it is still fun. There are traditions, such as the Parade of Chapters that still give me chills even though I've seen it numerous times.

Costs might seem to be a lot, but at least in Pi Phi, meals are included... and typically we are in a resort area staying at a Marriott.

Pi Phi conventions are members only (i.e., there are no provisions for spouses/ children and unless you pay the extra fee for a single, you are assigned a roommate) but I've heard of some groups that include activities for families. Personally, I like the atmosphere that comes from 1100 sisters all in one room!
Old 09-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

All I can tell you is that if you ever get the chance to go to one of these things, DO IT!

As an undergrad I went to two national events. One was our "College of Chapters", a leadership training event held in Lexington, VA (where our HQ was located and where we were founded). The CoC consists of a series of workshops and brotherhood activities. It's where the international organization rolls out its chapter programming. This event is put on with volunteer alums and is mainly for undergrads.

I went to the 60th Grand Chapter of Sigma Nu in the summer of '02 (I plan to go to the next one). The Grand Chapter is a legislative assembly of undergrad and alumni chapters. It is there that we discuss (in a large legislative assembly) new international initiatives. In Sigma Nu, the undergrad chapters each send two voting delegates to the Grand Chapter. I've met alums that have been attending this event (held biannually) since the 40's. Last year, we held this in Toronto, CA. Besides the legislative assembly, the ritual, etc. we went to see the Second City show, had lunch in the CN Tower, and what better than partying in a place like Toronto with 500 of your brothers? Props to Canada, hell of a town you have there!

I'd recommend these types of experiences to anyone.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-18-2003, 12:52 PM

Have you ever gone to Convention (Boule, Conclave)?

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 09-18-2003 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooh! Thanks for all the great posts and links One more reason to really want to be chosen as an AI.

LM

Be a Volunteer!