GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,305
5 members and 2,300 guests
flamboyanttree, g41965, MethrenLusia

Old 06-16-2004, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Dilemma - help!

Okay - I need some input about a possible decision I may have...here's the scenario...

School #1 is a public middle school about one half hour away, blue collar population, a "lead counseling" position (a great honor for a first year counselor, 11 months as opposed to the 10 month school calendar - which means I'll start work mid July). Principal seems somewhat flexible, dropped off my resume on a Friday morning, interviewed the following Monday morning and was offered the job on the spot. Everyone seems pretty nice...small tiny, cramped office. I'm going to have to arrange for childcare for my four year old if I accept this position - either having someone pick her up daily from her mother's morning out program, or sending her to one of two private schools here and paying the additional fee for her to stay until 3:30. I accepted this position after a week's deliberation when my first choice did not have an opening available.

School #2 is a fairly large elite private school (Pre-K through 12 grade), upper class population, about 10 minutes away, very close to my parent's house, more of an entry-level position (10 months only - would not have to worry about arranging childcare next month), not sure if pay will be quite as good as the public system, but could possibly be at roughly 95% or possibly even higher than public school, kids can attend at half price which would compensate for a slightly lower salary, my four year old can attend the pre-K program there and then stay in an after school program FREE until I get off of work or go to my parents house since it is so close, nice big office very conducive to counseling, everyone seems very nice - I know several families there already.

Here is the problem - the school #2 was my first choice all along, but at first they reshuffled some people around and did not think they were going to have a position. That is why I accepted the other position at school #1. Another counselor has decided to go into private practice, and that leaves a new opening. I have an interview next week, and am not sure I'll even get the position (I'm somewhat confident though as a few people, including a board member or two, have put in a good word for me). But it is the position I really want and feel would be a better fit for my family right now and long term.

I've pretty much decided that if school #2 offers the position next week, I'm going to take it. How do should I tell the first principal that I found a position that fits better with my goals and needs right now? I feel like I'm a horrible person for accepting it and then declining it a month later, but I just think school #2 works better since my baby can come to school with me! (I don't think I'm going to leave school #1 entirely in the lurch - the counselor who is leaving that school is pregnant, and not due until September, so she could still come in next month to get everything done...and they have a second older counselor who can do the job, but did not want the responsibilities of the lead - she could come in and do it too, and then there are any number of other people in the system that would love to have the lead job and would jump at it - I know of one that I could call and give a heads up to, and hopefully I'll know something next week in time to give them a two week notice before I'm actually supposed to start).

Sorry for the long post - I just feel bad about this and wanted to see if anyone else had ever had the same problem of accepting a job because it looked good, but then the job you REALLY wanted opened up and how they handled it! Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-16-2004, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Position #2 sounds a lot like the job I just left to return to graduate school full-time. Personally, I loved my job at my private school. I never had a lot of the problems that people associate with education. I loved all of my students and they were all motivated to succeed. Enough about me and my experiences, though

I think the way to address the situation, should position #2 become available to you, is to say you need to do what is in the best interest in your family. Being able to take your child with you to work, know his/her teacher and participating in his/her classroom -- it all makes such a difference. One of my fellow counselors had a baby a couple of years ago and another one has a preschool-age child. Both of them are able to go to all of the little shows that their classes put on and it makes them so happy to be able to share that time with their kids.

Anyway, best of luck with the entire situation! May things work out well, no matter what the outcome

~ Annie

Last edited by Cluey; 06-16-2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

It sucks to be the bad guy and leave a month after they hired you, but I would do what you think is best for you. Your employers would do the same fore themselves.

ETA: Don't tell your current employer untill you acutally have an offer, and don't accept anything untill you've heard about the money!

Last edited by XOMichelle; 06-17-2004 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey! I've got my interview tomorrow - so I'll let you know what happens! Thanks!
Old 06-22-2004, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!