GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,555
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annetausasdy968
» Online Users: 2,038
1 members and 2,037 guests
FrankJScott

Old 08-15-2004, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

The Effects of the supermarket strike in CA

So I went to the grocery store to pick up some ice-cream when I noticed that the VONS is almost entirely empty & the aisles are almost bare. I was thinking that perhaps they were going to do construction on the market so I asked the guy at the checkout. He told me that ever since they had the strike, business at that location has been less than stellar. Now the store is going to close down effective tomorrow at 6 pm.
I wasn't really surprised to hear this b/c I knew that sooner or later, there would be some sort of consequences for the workers at the stores that went on strike here in CA. However, my sympathy for them is limited b/c I had run-ins with many over-zealous grocery workers. I pulled into the parking lot once b/c Carls Jr. is on the same lot & they swarmed my car & were beating my windows & doors. I couldn't even explain that I wanted to eat Carls Jr. At another location, my very pregnant sister & I were going to go to pay her bills b/c the bill paying location is inside the market. The strikers called us names & one even had the gall to tell my sister that her & her baby were going to be sorry for crossing the picket line. I was supremely pissed at them so I truly don't feel much sympathy for them losing their jobs. Normally I would but many of us got hassled & harassed by these people during the strike that we just refused to go back to patronize their shops thus starting the closure of this store.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-15-2004, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Oh, I thought the Grocery Store Stike was old News. It is still going on? Well, My Take on that is Screw Them, Screw their Unions.

I for one was screwed by The Three Biggest Unions!

In todays Economy, no matter what is said, they are damn lucky to have jobs!

I have no sympathy for people who want so much more money. Air Lines, are in Banckruptcy, Utilities are in Bankruptcy.. Hell, just look and see whom is not filing for Bankruptcy!

Granted, there are Heads of Companies who are Bleeding and Raping Compamies, Screw Them. File Their Asses in Jail!

I for one am a Small Bussiness Owner in The Tobacco Industry as a Retailer! I am talking Shots All the time!

Just why in the Hell are the Words of OutSourcing Coming OUT

I give Him Cash, Does anyone know what that means?? And
I am paying The One Person who works for Me $8.00 an hour. Hello, He is making more money than I am! I own the friggen business!

I cannot Pay for His Health Care, I can barely pay for My Own.

If not for The SMALL Business We are all in trouble! The Friggen Back Bone Of The Country!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-15-2004, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

You can't blame companies for wanting to cut back these union jobs. They really have no choice -- cut back on these paychecks or get killed by companies like Wal-Mart.

The days of high-paid, unskilled labor are coming to an end.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-15-2004, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: The Effects of the supermarket strike in CA

Quote:
Originally posted by CASIGKAP
So I went to the grocery store to pick up some ice-cream when I noticed that the VONS is almost entirely empty & the aisles are almost bare. I was thinking that perhaps they were going to do construction on the market so I asked the guy at the checkout. He told me that ever since they had the strike, business at that location has been less than stellar. Now the store is going to close down effective tomorrow at 6 pm.
Vons with a Carl's Jr in the parking lot? Which one is that?

Quote:
I pulled into the parking lot once b/c Carls Jr. is on the same lot & they swarmed my car & were beating my windows & doors. I couldn't even explain that I wanted to eat Carls Jr. At another location, my very pregnant sister & I were going to go to pay her bills b/c the bill paying location is inside the market. The strikers called us names & one even had the gall to tell my sister that her & her baby were going to be sorry for crossing the picket line.
What?!?! I understand that crossing the picket lines doesn't help their case, but some people just need to step off. A pregnant lady??

Luckily, the picketers here in San Diego weren't being rude to the senior citizens. Though one of my friends is married and has a couple little girls. She and her husband didn't make enough money at that time and so they had to rely on food stamps. She told me that a bunch of picketers were calling her names when she went to shop at one of the stores. Mad, my friend turned around and yelled, "Excuse me??? I'm sorry, but if you'd like to trade cash for my food stamps, then I'll shop elsewhere. If not, then leave me the ____ alone so I can put food on the table for my kids!" She said the lady who had called her names just shut up right then and there.

Still, I can't believe they attacked you in your car! That must have been scary!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 08-15-2004, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

not to take anything away from you, but this reminds me of an episode of the simpsons

I Stay Woke!!