GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,546
Threads: 115,515
Welcome to our newest member, annatfancesa349
» Online Users: 2,300
2 members and 2,298 guests
indygphib
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

1890 PNMs at Mizzou this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUalumMUmom View Post
Sorry I'm so late to the discussion, I've been trapped in a home renovation project. My daughter also went through recruitment last year at Mizzou. Many of the people posting on this thread are responsible for keeping me sane last year. MomofTiger is already miles ahead of me, just by coming here early and getting recs for 14 of the houses.
Even though I was Greek in college, I was wholly unprepared for SEC recruitment. We had NO recs, my daughter knew one person at Mizzou who was in a fraternity, but had been asked to leave the school for conduct issues. She had a good GPA, lots of involvement in high school and strong ACTs going for her, but that was it.
She did go into the process with an open mind, as she had no prior knowledge of any of the chapters. She was 2 weeks out from a pretty significant infection in her lymph node, so the left side of her face looked kind of like a chipmunk, and she had to nap over her lunch breaks. She did well after the first round of socials and had 5 or 6 chapters she really liked, but got heavily cut between rounds 2 and 3 and lost all but one of the houses she really liked. However, she kept her top ranked house, and each round fell more in love with them. On preference night she was in tears, she was so set on this house, the other two she went to did not compare. She wanted to suicide, but I talked her into listing at least 2 on her card, she just did not see herself in the third house and was willing to forego pledging in the fall if it came to that.
I was so nervous on bid day, I knew she was either going to be thrilled or devastated, and I live 450 miles away. Her roommate and two of her closest new friends on her floor had dropped before preference because they were not happy with their remaining choices, and they were all from St Louis. So at least she would have them for support if things went badly. When she did not get a call from her Pi Chi, she felt a little better. Thankfully on bid day she got her first choice and is very happy there. When they started recruitment training in the spring, she told me several times, "I have no idea how I got into my chapter" She has reached out to girls in her high school on social media offering to give advice to anyone considering recruitment so they do not go into it as clueless as we did. For the moms, I strongly recommend you get as many recs as you can, don't sweat the ones you can't, encourage your daughter to try to show her personality at the socials, without going overboard or overly "cheesy" Avoid controversial topics at all cost. Many sisters do have strong religious, political and social opinions, but this is not the time or place to discuss them. Dress appropriately, feel free to throw in something interesting or personal, it can be a conversation starter, but nothing crazy or wild. Think lunch or dinner at the Dean's house!
Most important of all: HAVE AN OPEN MIND!! Do not listen to the whispers of other PMNs or buy into rankings on the internet sites. Every house has something to offer, but some will just feel more comfortable than others. Good Luck, and I suggest a nice supply of wine in the fridge for you, mom!
Hi NUalumMUmom! What great advice--I second everything you've said here. Good to connect with you. It's fun to see the familiar names from last year--this site was my lifeline during my daughter's recruitment. So grateful for all the kind, encouraging, wise and supportive people here, including you!

Update for everyone: PHA website posted today that Mizzou has 1890 PNMs registered for recruitment! I think this is slightly lower than last year's #, which I read is a reflection of lower enrollment #s at Mizzou for fall (though I don't know if that part is accurate).
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-28-2015, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I really appreciate hearing your stories and reading your advice. Thank you all.

1890 PNMs. Wow.

��
Old 07-30-2015, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Re numbers

Hi! They told us at Summer Welcome that there are fewer freshman women than they had expected, so I wondered if recruitment numbers would be down a bit.

My daughter is an entering freshman and will be going through recruitment. My word, the anxiety. For me. She is pretty chill, as usual. Oh, to be 18 again.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi beagled1. My daughter is also going through recruitment! It will be good to have another mom going through the same anxiety I am!
Old 07-30-2015, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so excited to hear their stories and hope they both have wonderful recruitments! As I said, I remember the anxiety of the Mom side very well - so I am happy to lend an ear and my support

Last edited by NorthernMom; 07-31-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagled1 View Post
Hi! They told us at Summer Welcome that there are fewer freshman women than they had expected, so I wondered if recruitment numbers would be down a bit.

My daughter is an entering freshman and will be going through recruitment. My word, the anxiety. For me. She is pretty chill, as usual. Oh, to be 18 again.
beagled1, good luck to your daughter! How well I remember the anxiety of last year! You'll find lots of support here. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's stories.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Not recruitment oriented, but just generally new student guide info from the Missourian.
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/sp...n/collegetown/
Old 08-02-2015, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Great! Thank you. I will share with my daughter
Old 08-04-2015, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

As a Mizzou mom of a senior greek woman, I'm SO pleased to see this thread about MIZ! Best wishes to all going through recruitment! Also remember that the actives also feel anxiety and recruitment parties don't give them much time to get to know the PNM's. It can feel a little shallow when you only have a few minutes to talk. The worst thing to do is come into recruitment thinking you want a certain house. The BEST advice is to keep your thoughts to yourself about each house and be present at each house when you are there. With 300 plus women in each house, and such a strong greek system, PNM's can find sisters amongst any of the wonderful houses.
Would love to hear how everyone is getting ready and their experiences during (without naming houses of course!).
Old 08-04-2015, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

My artistically challenged daughter started crafting for her little-to-be. So yes....the actives are super excited.

Above advice is spot on. Great system. Diverse women in every house. If girls think for themselves, keep an open mind and maximize options, they will more than likely have a successful recruitment.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter is also getting very nervous about the other side of recruitment for the first time. She moves back to Columbia on Saturday and has been crafting for her future little sis as well. Unfortunately that means I have been crafting, too. So far I have sewn a pillow case, added a pocket of Lilly fabric to a t shirt and inhaled enough mod podge fumes to cause brain damage. We have had to get the outfits for each day, complete with shoes and jewelry, it kind of feels like last year, except now we are told exactly what to wear on each day! When she goes back to school, i think I'm going to stock the fridge with wine again this year!

Last edited by NUalumMUmom; 08-04-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Mine is hanging out in MO with friends right now, but we load the car up to make drive and move her in on Sunday. Thank goodness she has not asked me to craft, as I might be even worse at it than she is. Though I saw a pic of one things she did, and I was impressed. Hoping the more talented girls will help her with more stuff.

I still have to get some jewelry on the list of things to wear.....

We can all toast throughout the week
Old 08-04-2015, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

We made paddles for our little sisters and pillows for the big sisters back in my day. What is the trend today? So fun!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Paddles, due to hazing concerns, are out most places.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah right. That's sad but understandable.
Closed Thread