GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,612
Threads: 115,519
Welcome to our newest member, sydnemaarleyz20
» Online Users: 2,211
2 members and 2,209 guests
indygphib

Old 11-06-2001, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Junior League

Is anyone out there involved with the Junior League?

Last edited by valkyrie; 11-06-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-06-2001, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
I met a woman recently who was president of her JL chapter in Montana. In speaking with her, I found that aside from the charity work, her chapter bore little resemblance to anything that I have run across here.

For example, they announce their membership drives in the newspaper and one can join at 18. In fact, she said that there were a great number of 20-somethings and that they didn't pay over $100 per year. There were only a handful of members who didn't have paid jobs and that was because they were retired.

I joked with her that I should move to Montana because I know that I will never be asked to join here. Yes, here you have to be asked and your primary sponsor has to find three other co-sponsers.
Old 11-07-2001, 03:02 PM
Banned

That's the thing about Junior League in the South than anywhere else (from what I can tell). JL here in Ann Arbor isn't all that bad. You don't have to be sponsored per se, but attend meetings. They have a membership 'drive' in the fall. You have to attend a certain number of meetings, etc. I don't know what the dues are, though. This is something that I looked into as well when I moved down here (get involved, meet new people, do charity work, etc). Because of my class schedule, however, I wasn't going to be able to make any of the meetings. I would say to definitely check it out - I can't remember what the Junior League's web address is, though. I do recall there is a map and directory, though. =)

Good luck!

Sarah
Old 11-07-2001, 03:09 PM
Banned

That's the thing about Junior League in the South than anywhere else (from what I can tell). JL here in Ann Arbor isn't all that bad. You don't have to be sponsored per se, but attend meetings. They have a membership 'drive' in the fall. You have to attend a certain number of meetings, etc. I don't know what the dues are, though. This is something that I looked into as well when I moved down here (get involved, meet new people, do charity work, etc). Because of my class schedule, however, I wasn't going to be able to make any of the meetings. I would say to definitely check it out - I can't remember what the Junior League's web address is, though. I do recall there is a map and directory, though. =)

Good luck!

Sarah
Old 11-07-2001, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

The website is www.ajli.org and you can go to the directory to find a chapter near you.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I would definitely contact the Junior League in your area and find out about their membership recruitment requirements. It never hurts to ask. I inquired about membership over 10 years ago and now I am I sustaining member of the JL of Fayetteville, NC.

There maybe some social activities but the majority of your time will be committed to learning about your community and doing volunteer work in it. Your provisional year will be the busiest. Time management will be very important. In evaluating whether you should join or not, consider if you are really committed to volunteerism. If it is something that you want to consider, go for it.
Old 11-08-2001, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree, just call and ask. A bunch of my friends and I moved back home and are interested, but couldn't committ the time this year but are looking forward to next year's membership drive.

I have many obligations to my sorority at the moment, but hopefully, next year all my Mondays will be free and my sorority schedule will be set in stone so I know if I have the time or not.

The JL in Fayetteville is great! I know tons of members and they just finished a huge project here called the Holly Day Fair. It seems to me the more I learn about them the more they sound like a large sorority. I cannot wait to become more invovled in my town and the JL is a great way to do so!

I would say go for it, it is a solid organization that does so much for their communities and our country.

I am sure many sorority members are in the JL, we should have many more replys soon!

Good Luck, Keep us posted!
Old 11-08-2001, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey there! I am a junior league provisional(like a pledge) right now and it is awesome. My mom and grandmother were both in junior league, so it seemed very natural for me to do. For the Junior League in Atlanta, you do need a sponsor, but they will find one for you(you just fill out a form). I think first year dues are around $250 dollars and then its like $175 every year. For the first year, you have 2 meetings a month on different volunteer activities in your city and then you have small group meetings about once a month. It IS a time commitment, but its really not that bad. I am LOVING it! Please feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions!
Lesley
Old 11-09-2001, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Real Jr League?

We have a "Junior League" organization in my small Southern town. A few years ago, I had heard comments that it wasn't a "true Junior League" as in affiliated with the national group...there was something about women getting to be "over a certain age" and not wanting to leave. Since I would never be asked to join (I don't "run" with that crowd) so I didn't worry about it. Oh well..guess I won't have to worry about selling those raffle tickets, lol!

If that is the case, and you are interested in joining "JL", check to see if it is associated with the national JL.

My city wasn't listed on the website noted above, but then that's not surprising. Does that site include those that don't have email addresses? I didn't look at other states.
Old 11-11-2001, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually I know of at least two Chicago A Phi's that are involved in JL there. I am sure they also attend Alum events for Phi.

If you want to email me offline aphigal@hotmail.com I would be happy to share their names with you.

How is pursuing alum initiation going?
Old 12-06-2001, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

What exactly is Junior League? It sounds kind of...snobby. But then again, I don't know anything about it.

Where is justamom at? I know that she is involved in it and has good insight and advice!
Old 12-06-2001, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Moxie!

www.ajli.org

AOT
Old 12-12-2001, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I belong to the Junior League of Washington. I have been a member for years. When I joined I wasn't considered too old or too young. I met some people younger than me but mostly around my age. When I joined I was in my late 20s. Our dues are about $250/year. I did need a sponsor but there are ones available if you don't have one.

I really like it. I love my placement (kind of like your project). Our provisional year was hard because they had you involved in so many different activities so you could get a good feel for the league.

I highly recommend that you join. I love volunteering. I also love the fact that you can do with it what you want. There are social dated functions, there are book clubs, there are grass roots volunteering opportunities, there are more "prissy" volunteering opportunities, etc.

There are women with 8 carat diamond rings but also women, like me who need to watch every penny.

I highly recommend it and it has been a great experience for me.
Old 12-18-2001, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

My Mom has been in JL for almost 10 years now, she's not nearly involved in it as she once was due to her job that she didn't have at the time.

I kinda tell my fellow greeks that JL is like a Sorority for older women, without the partying. They have meetings, they do community service, they have occasional social events, including "formal". That's where my own involvement came, at the JL Community Ball. The first Saturday in December each year is the Community Ball, and they have a Cotillion for all the HS seniors who are either children or grandchildren of members. Very formal - Girls have custom made dresses ($534.52 with tax ) that are all identical, plus shoes, diamond tiaras, matching earings, and gloves. The guys are in tails always, and sometimes they get top hats and canes (unfortunetly my year we didn't get those ) It was a lot of fun actually learning to waltz, and meeting people from other schools, plus my "class" was full of hot girls (which isn't always the case) so that was cool.

There isn't that much cost tied up in dues, most of the money is just for administrative costs. A lot of the money raised is through things like the Community Ball, they have a cookbook they compiled (treasures of the Great Midwest, it's wonderful if you can find it), They also have a bunch of other projects that happen throughout the year.

I would say that in KC there wasn't a "snobby" aspect to it that much. No more than say sorority membership here in the north. I guess you could say the Cotillion is a showing off of daughters, and is definetly a bit pricey for the girls (guys tux rental was actually much cheaper than normal rentals) in sort of a snobbish type of way.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Betarulz, are you from KC? MO.or KS.? will you be in town for Holidays? Let me Know, maybe we can get together!!!!!!!

goes for all of you GC'ers from KC. Hell lets have a GC reunion!

LX Z # 1
Alumni