GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,665
Threads: 115,520
Welcome to our newest member, aanneaeswifta59
» Online Users: 1,474
0 members and 1,474 guests
No Members online

Old 04-12-2001, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Greek Alums

It is a total shame that there are not more Alums and actives of the Greek Organizations on this site!
One must remember that in most instances, if it were not for the Alums, many chapters would not be on their respective campuses!
I get tired of chapters whinning about alums not participating with them! In Most Instances, The Active Chapter does not keep the Alums informed, involved, updated, and in the loop.
I am sure most Alums are as anxious to be of service but to not know what is going on is NOT the fault of the ALUMS. We are out to work, help, and any other function we can do to build on what WE WORKED our rears off to keep going. I for one do not go back to my campus to see the school but to see My Brothers!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-12-2001, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I too wish that more were on this site, but as for keeping in touch, I think it's a two way street.
My chapter was just recolonized and they have their hands full just working on chapter events,organization,and RECRUTMENT so I make a huge effort to keep myself updated.
I feel like alum want to blame the chapter and the chapter wants to blame alum, so no one every knows what the deal is.
I wish alum would step up and say hey I think we need to redo the alum contacts can I help? It may be great to have an actual alums Point of view!
Old 04-12-2001, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

While I agree that chapters should keep their alumni members informed on what's going on and how they need help - I think it's up to US (alumae/alumni) to teach our chapters how to reach out and make them want to.

In my experience, each time I've offered my help, chapter members have responded well, usually with praise like, "wow, I wish we would have asked you earlier" or "we could really use your help on some other projects".

I can understand the frustrations of many of us that want to be kept more in the loop and want to feel comfortable in offering advice... but until we educate our members on how to keep us involved, it's not going to happen.

It is a two way street but let's face it, our chapter members usually realize that we need each other in order to have a strong organization well after they are no longer "chapter members".

Tom, you sound really frustrated and I'm sure that I can't come close to understanding what situation may have gotten you that way. Whatever the situation, don't give up. From other posts of yours that I have read, I know that you are a valuable asset to your chapter.

[This message has been edited by AlphaXiGirl (edited April 12, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by AlphaXiGirl (edited April 12, 2001).]
Old 04-13-2001, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

As I read through Tom's posts regarding alumnae/active issues, so much of what he says rings true to me and my own experiences. I am active and helpful because of my own efforts. After three years, I realized that I was NEVER going to be asked for help..so I just started offering, aggressively, my assistance and wisdom. Hopefully, I'll have done some good!
Old 04-13-2001, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey! Alum in the house!!

Great post Tom! Wish I had the solution for you but .... I know the frustration! You want to help them so much but they are in college and are going non-stop - barely have time to call mom and dad let alone - some alum. But life is a circle and they will graduate and in 5 years - want to be a part of it and get the same treatment. You know - I think email is a great way to interact - maybe if your chapter could list alum emails on the website too - - more interaction could begin???? What do you think? Sue
Old 04-14-2001, 01:27 AM

Pretty neat thing last night at a Delt Founder's Day dinner. Local alums helped a local chapter raise enough money to re-open the kitchen in their house, so the undergraduates at the chapter made a video to say thanks and played it at the dinner.
Old 04-15-2001, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, i get frustrated, but I think the young men of the chapter are starting to get turned around! We Alums are working on a Web Site to get our message out and for Alums to make changes on their info update.

If any of you have tried to find Alums, it can be hard, time consuming, and expensive. I have taken that on myself as I use the phone cards I sell at my shop and it keeps the cost down. For some of the Brothers from other chapters that I have talked to on the phone I Talk alot. That is especially true for my Brothers that i have not seen or talked to in years. That is a minimun of an hour.
But I find it fruitful. I hve gotten @ 185 Brothers for the address book so that we can keep them informed. i am now getting help from Brothers sending me E-M that I can confirm and get listed.
Granted it is a two way street between Alum and Actives, some one has to start the dialog to keep it going.
As Brother Rambo always says, It Is The 20 % that do the work and the 80 % that ride along till the wagon really gets rolling and they can get on and that is what i strive for!!!!

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL OF MY GREEK BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Old 04-16-2001, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hey! I'm a proud, active alumna of Delta Zeta. Just wanted you to know that there are some of us out here on GC!!
Old 04-16-2001, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

If can be of help let me know!!!!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Old 04-17-2001, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp:
I hve gotten @ 185 Brothers for the address book so that we can keep them informed. i am now getting help from Brothers sending me E-M that I can confirm and get listed.
Tom, that's incredible. I'm working on a similar project to "find" some of my sisters but I haven't been nearly as successful. I may have to pick your brain for ideas. Congratulations!

Old 04-21-2001, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey alphaxigirl, what happened to you? If I can be of help, let me know via E-M.

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Old 04-26-2001, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Dang Mark, I feel BAD for you as John gets all kinds of HOORAYS and I feel you derserve the same if not more!!!!!!!!
Your fellow GC'er ETC! Get the drift??

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Old 04-26-2001, 07:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Thumbs up

I just became an alum of Delta Phi Epsilon 3 weeks ago .

------------------
Delta Phi Epsilon
Delta Gamma Chapter
University of British Columbia
Sigma 1996
Old 04-26-2001, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Siobhan:
I just became an alum of Delta Phi Epsilon 3 weeks ago .

Welcome to the club!!!

------------------
Phi Love,
AEPhiSteph
Old 04-26-2001, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hey Tom,

my hubby just emailed you to say hey!

------------------
Phi Love,
AEPhiSteph