GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,611
Threads: 115,518
Welcome to our newest member, zlogantpz7495
» Online Users: 1,236
1 members and 1,235 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 09-02-2012, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing a sorority as a sophomore at the University of Michigan (no one is answering)

cv

Last edited by RKelly74; 09-03-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-02-2012, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I'll answer all of your questions in order:

Membership selection is confidential, membership selection is confidential, I don't know what makes you uncomfortable, and membership selection is confidential.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKelly74 View Post
I didn't rush as a freshman (I guess because I was feeling overwhelmed) and I really regret it. I would really like to pledge either tri-delt, alpha phi, or kappa kappa gamma, my top choice being tri-delt, but do they usually not take sophomores? As a freshman a lot of the girls in those sororities were interested in me, but now they have forgotten me and will they not really consider a sophomore as seriously? Right now, I am living in an apartment with three juniors that are in ADpi (although I am not really interested in ADpi), and I have a cousin that just graduated who was in alpha phi. She is going to write me a recommendation, but I don't think they consider cousins "legacies." Other than that, I don't really have any connections with any of the sororities. Also, I will be living in the house as a junior, and most of the pledges live there as sophomores, so I will be a year older than most of the girls. Do you think this will make me feel uncomfortable? Does anyone know anything about the three sororities I mentioned and how they deal with sophomores?
You are setting yourself up for disappointment. Recruitment is mutual selection, but it heavily favors the sororities - it's best not to go in with favorites.

If you are living with sorority women, you should be asking THEM these questions. But they're still not going to be able to answer them all.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Holy moly, no need for the "no one is answering". It's a Sunday and holiday weekend. I'm sure many GCers are relaxing with friends and family, as I am about to.

To answer your first question...well I can't answer it. How are we supposed to know how you will feel? lol

As for your second question...like DBB said, membership selection is confidential.

Also, how do you know that you want those three sororities if you have never gone through recruitment.

Last edited by lovespink88; 09-15-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Feeling nice
Old 09-02-2012, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKelly74 View Post
I didn't rush as a freshman (I guess because I was feeling overwhelmed) and I really regret it. I would really like to pledge either tri-delt, alpha phi, or kappa kappa gamma, my top choice being tri-delt, but do they usually not take sophomores? As a freshman a lot of the girls in those sororities were interested in me, but now they have forgotten me and will they not really consider a sophomore as seriously? Right now, I am living in an apartment with three juniors that are in ADpi (although I am not really interested in ADpi), and I have a cousin that just graduated who was in alpha phi. She is going to write me a recommendation, but I don't think they consider cousins "legacies." Other than that, I don't really have any connections with any of the sororities. Also, I will be living in the house as a junior, and most of the pledges live there as sophomores, so I will be a year older than most of the girls. Do you think this will make me feel uncomfortable? Does anyone know anything about the three sororities I mentioned and how they deal with sophomores?
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result.

You got a ton of answers here: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...39#post2171939

Sorry you didn't get what you wanted to hear. If you go into recruitment with that kind of attitude, don't be surprised if you're bidless on Bid Day.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me just tell you you're shooting yourself in the foot going into rush with decisions already made. I have no idea about which chapters are most prestigious at Michigan, but I'm going to guess that you've just told me. In that case, they have to make steeper cuts than the less prestigious chapters and they are going to be much more critical about sophomores. If you want to join a sorority, forget those sororities even exist on your campus and start rush assuming your only chances are the rest. If you happen to get invited back to some of these others, then great.

If you're not willing to consider ALL of the other 12 sororities, I wouldn't even bother rushing. This is a large Greek system. If you can't find a home among this group of sororities that are bursting at the seams, you are going into this for the wrong reasons.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always AlphaGam View Post
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result.

You got a ton of answers here: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...39#post2171939

Sorry you didn't get what you wanted to hear. If you go into recruitment with that kind of attitude, don't be surprised if you're bidless on Bid Day.
What she said. If you keep up with this after getting all these answers in both threads, then you are clearly a troll.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

You're ridiculous. We gave you answers. Stop caring about tiers, stop being a snobby stuck up little girl, and maybe you'll get a bid. Good luck with it.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

She posted this EXACT SAME PARAGRAPH on CC. WTF?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Let me just tell you you're shooting yourself in the foot going into rush with decisions already made.
This this this! I cannot stress enough the importance of having an OPEN MIND! Be open to ALL possibilities! I knew of a young woman who went went through recruitment last year at a nearby college and was dead-set on joining Theta Phi Alpha. She ended up being cut from that chapter and considered dropping altogether, but I was able to convince her to stick with the process as she still had invites to other wonderful groups. She (reluctantly) accepted a bid to one of her remaining choices, and you know what? Now she couldn't be happier with her decision! While its natural to have favorites, you have to trust the process to place you where you truly belong.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
She posted this EXACT SAME PARAGRAPH on CC. WTF?
I saw that too, and someone referred her to US to get her question answered too.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a feeling those three sororities haven't forgotten you at all since you are drawing a lot of attention to yourself all over the internet.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I was in a sorority at UM a while ago, and I know that those three are currently listed as the "top tier" on the ridiculous rankings that seem to be out there.

Original poster, my sorority is now a "tier 2" (I guess) at UM (I can't even believe I typed that--the whole thing is so ridiculous), but when I was in it, I couldn't even tell you where we were. Why? Because I loved the girls in my sorority and could not have cared less what we were ranked. All the sororities at UM are great in their own way, and frankly, with your attitude, you're going to be lucky to get into one at all. Half of my pledge class was sophomores, and some of my best friends were a year older than me. I was on Panhel Exec and I got to know so many people that I forgot what houses they were in. I didn't care.

If you only care about who your pre-party partner is or who you think you're going to party with, then you're going in to this for all the wrong reasons. I can tell you that some of my best friends to this day are members of other sororities from UM, and we don't care who was in what house or who we partied with. We all had a blast at parties we went to, but ultimately we found friends for a lifetime in our sorority and I am so glad that I went in knowing nothing about it. What we remember are the friends who were there for us when we needed them, the late night Pizza House orders, and amazing games at the Big House.

Again, I strongly encourage you to get out of the mindset of only being in one of those 3 sororities. They are excellent sororities at UM to be sure--and by excellent, I mean that the girls are involved all over campus and in panhel, they support other sororities, have extremely bright women in them, and represent both their chapters and our university in a positive way--but if you don't open your mind to other houses, then you are doing yourself a big disservice and will not end up in a sorority at all. Please think about why you want to join the Greek system. There are many wonderful young women going through recruitment going through for the right reasons, and they deserve a bid. You would be surprised by who knows you and what will happen. You don't want to be known as that girl who thinks she's too good to be in any other sorority.

ETA: You're living with 3 ADPis but ADPi isn't good enough for you? Seriously? Think about why that is.

Good luck and Go Blue.

Last edited by BlueCarnation; 09-02-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

No one was answering this question because it was phrased in such a condescending, disrespectful way.
Go ahead and rush your favorite three groups. Everything will turn out just like it is supposed to.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAme View Post
No one was answering this question because it was phrased in such a condescending, disrespectful way.
Go ahead and rush your favorite three groups. Everything will turn out just like it is supposed to.
THIS.

Thank you for responding much more succinctly than I did. I'm just glad my chapter isn't one of her 3 favorites.