GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,452
1 members and 1,451 guests
MethrenLusia

Old 08-02-2023, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a daughter in HS who wants to go to my almamater. It is well known from friends currently in sororities at this school, as well as friends in local alumna organizations, that houses at this school actively drop legacies during the first video round - before they even get a chance to meet anyone in person. The alumna of these houses are very upset, but it seems to be a trend. Due of this, my daughter will not be divulging her legacy status on her registration form, nor will she talk about being a legacy to anyone. Makes me so sad as a mother (and alumna) to see this, but I'm glad I know about it now before she (and I) experience some of the things many posters on this thread have experienced.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-02-2023, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffGirl View Post
I have a daughter in HS who wants to go to my almamater. It is well known from friends currently in sororities at this school, as well as friends in local alumna organizations, that houses at this school actively drop legacies during the first video round - before they even get a chance to meet anyone in person. The alumna of these houses are very upset, but it seems to be a trend. Due of this, my daughter will not be divulging her legacy status on her registration form, nor will she talk about being a legacy to anyone.
I am sure you know this, but you might need to scrub your sorority affiliation form any of your own social media. College girls are amazing investigators! No kites, no anchors, no fleur-de-lis, no lions, etc! I don't blame you one bit for not divulging her legacy status. Since it is going to be used unfairly AGAINST girls, I wouldn't divulge it either. Such a horrible shame that something that we used to be so proud of is now a detriment.
Old 08-03-2023, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

My heart breaks for legacies who are penalized by their own GLO's chapter or others for being legacies. IMO, if the goal is to recruit women who will be active for life and not just a few years, GLOs are doing themselves a disservice by cutting legacies, especially when their moms are active alums of their sorority. These young women have grown up observing and understanding that the deep bonds of friendship, loyalty, service, and philanthropy made in a sorority extend beyond college. I think that's worth giving them extra consideration.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Huh I've never heard of legacies getting auto cut super early like that. I have only heard of that in terms of grade risk, etc. But hearing that something that could give you a second chance. (ex. you get invited back to at least 1 party, and if the legacy can get a bit more a feel for the chapter or the chapter isn't crazy about her, then they can make that decision) really stinks.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 08-05-2023, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlsandkeys View Post
My heart breaks for legacies who are penalized by their own GLO's chapter or others for being legacies. IMO, if the goal is to recruit women who will be active for life and not just a few years, GLOs are doing themselves a disservice by cutting legacies, especially when their moms are active alums of their sorority. These young women have grown up observing and understanding that the deep bonds of friendship, loyalty, service, and philanthropy made in a sorority extend beyond college. I think that's worth giving them extra consideration.
Hear, hear!! And Cookie, it happens much too frequently these days.
Old 08-05-2023, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJS View Post
I really didn't write intending to look for sympathy, but thank you to everyone that added an empathetic note to the responses they shared. They warmed my heart, and I realized I do probably still care more than I care to admit.

Yes, you are describing my organization, carnation. Over the last 3 years, Fraternity Council has declared legacy status persona non grata, pressured active members to pledge a biological male (they just countersued the 7 U of W members, arguing in a legal filing that the term “woman” has evolved since our founding 150 years ago,) and felt compelled to criticize the Supreme Court and voice support for abortion with an official "Statement." Let's just say those decisions didn't reflect the views of all members or alumni, and I fail to see how pushing a political agenda will strengthen or improve our group. I feel like I don't even recognize my sorority anymore. From what I have observed online, these decisions have only caused anger and division and weakened alumni support.
O.Mi.Gosh. Sanity has left the room.