GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,375
1 members and 1,374 guests
FSUZeta

Old 07-11-2012, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It's in case they drop out or are released....need mama there.
Interesting.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 AM
Banned

I think I'd trust the answers provided by the regulars here instead of the person who signed up to make one post about what their friends were supposedly doing.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I have heard of people staying the week in Baton Rouge for LSU rush and since UT sounds 10 times more competative, I can believe that some moms would do this.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootiepie2 View Post
I have heard of people staying the week in Baton Rouge for LSU rush and since UT sounds 10 times more competative, I can believe that some moms would do this.
I think I remember some recruitment stories from moms last year that were there all week.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

They do in Auburn. I've known numerous moms that went there either for the whole week or once the big cuts happened after second parties.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a really good friend who went for the week when her daughter rushed at another Texas school. She was able to stay in her mother's hotel room each night and talk to her about what she thought about each chapter, instead of going back to the dorm and listening to what the other girls thought. She truly was able to keep an open mind throughout the week and followed her heart at the end. In this case, the mother had to be in that town for the week for something eles, so it worked out.
I have not heard of mother's staying for the week at UT, however, I'm sure it happens. I would say that there were approx 30% of the mom's there on Bid Day my daughter's year (2010). I'm wondering if the percentage of mom's going for Bid Day and beyond is growing since the numbers of PNM's going through recruitment is growing?

I do know that it is very common for the whole family to go for Bid Day at OU and OSU and there are alot of girls from Texas that go to Oklahoma schools. Maybe the Texas mom's are taking a cue from thier Oklahoma friends since they go through recruitment a full week before the Texas girls do.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugmom View Post
I have a really good friend who went for the week when her daughter rushed at another Texas school. She was able to stay in her mother's hotel room each night and talk to her about what she thought about each chapter, instead of going back to the dorm and listening to what the other girls thought. She truly was able to keep an open mind throughout the week and followed her heart at the end. In this case, the mother had to be in that town for the week for something eles, so it worked out.
I have not heard of mother's staying for the week at UT, however, I'm sure it happens. I would say that there were approx 30% of the mom's there on Bid Day my daughter's year (2010). I'm wondering if the percentage of mom's going for Bid Day and beyond is growing since the numbers of PNM's going through recruitment is growing?

I do know that it is very common for the whole family to go for Bid Day at OU and OSU and there are alot of girls from Texas that go to Oklahoma schools. Maybe the Texas mom's are taking a cue from thier Oklahoma friends since they go through recruitment a full week before the Texas girls do.
I think you might have something there! I actually know a couple of parents that spent most of the week at OU last year. And all of my friends with girls at both schools attended bid days at OU and OSU last year. It is actually a big family event. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures of the happy faces last year!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowlady View Post
I think you might have something there! I actually know a couple of parents that spent most of the week at OU last year. And all of my friends with girls at both schools attended bid days at OU and OSU last year. It is actually a big family event. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures of the happy faces last year!

I have two really good friends whose daughters rushed at OU and OSU the year my daughter did and they told me about all of the families that were there...that's how I knew that parents went to Bid Day..so I went at UT and I am sooo glad I did! It is not the family affair at UT like it is in Oklahoma, but it is really fun to see the houses and all of the (mostly) happy girls!

Edited to add that OSU's Bid Day was on Saturday that year so more families could go. UT's bid day is on a Tuesday which makes it more difficult for some parents to come due to work.

Last edited by Ladybugmom; 07-12-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, seriously. And you say "heli-mom" as if it's a bad thing? When you live in Houston, you'll use any excuse you can to come to Austin! Even in August! And I was kidding about keeping them nourished.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow Greek or Geek, that was harsh. I didn't sign up to make one post. I signed up and then happened to stumble on this question. I didn't presume my friends came up for the entire week; they did - 6 of them (that I know of) because I live in Austin and met them downtown. I only presumed what they did with their daughters during that week. So I'll also presume that they went to lunch at Hula Hut, Abel's, Chuy's and drank beer-garitas at Cuatros. I'm not saying all moms do this, I'm just saying that's what some moms do.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrief View Post
Wow Greek or Geek, that was harsh. I didn't sign up to make one post. I signed up and then happened to stumble on this question. I didn't presume my friends came up for the entire week; they did - 6 of them (that I know of) because I live in Austin and met them downtown. I only presumed what they did with their daughters during that week. So I'll also presume that they went to lunch at Hula Hut, Abel's, Chuy's and drank beer-garitas at Cuatros. I'm not saying all moms do this, I'm just saying that's what some moms do.

Goodgrief...I can promise you that they NEEDED to drink at ALL of those locations to survive the week!! It's hell!

I love Austin too...in fact, Ill be there for much of the recruitment week working in the kitchen at my daughter's chapter..it's great fun!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I just can't fathom the thought of my mom being there during recruitment. College was my first taste of independence and the life lessons that come along with that, i.e. a stressful, draining situation (recruitment). Not to mention that my mom has a career; I wouldn't think of asking her to take a week off of work to be with me for something like recruitment.

(Not taking a dig at anyone personally, just my opinion).
Old 07-12-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
I just can't fathom the thought of my mom being there during recruitment. College was my first taste of independence and the life lessons that come along with that, i.e. a stressful, draining situation (recruitment). Not to mention that my mom has a career; I wouldn't think of asking her to take a week off of work to be with me for something like recruitment.

(Not taking a dig at anyone personally, just my opinion).
I agree...and this was something that was common BEFORE the rise of the heli-parent. It's probably because (very broadly speaking) so much more of a girl's future hinges on what sorority she pledges at these schools, in this region...if that makes sense. It's not just your college life this is going to affect, it's your WHOLE life.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugmom View Post
Goodgrief...I can promise you that they NEEDED to drink at ALL of those locations to survive the week!! It's hell!

I love Austin too...in fact, Ill be there for much of the recruitment week working in the kitchen at my daughter's chapter..it's great fun!
While I don't plan on being at D's College for recruitment this fall, I am sure I will be hitting up some local happy hours with other mom friends during the week
Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I agree...and this was something that was common BEFORE the rise of the heli-parent. It's probably because (very broadly speaking) so much more of a girl's future hinges on what sorority she pledges at these schools, in this region...if that makes sense. It's not just your college life this is going to affect, it's your WHOLE life.

You are 100% correct 33girl..the difference is the level of competitiveness at UT or anywhere in the SEC. I'm sure it would be hard to imagine at certain schools, such as those where recs are not needed or unheard of...the two go hand in hand.