GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,500
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, babobbjnr7325
» Online Users: 2,528
0 members and 2,528 guests
No Members online

Old 04-19-2024, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I read the asterisked statement in the original post from UCSB which was at the bottom of the detailed post about expansion. It says that NPC expansion is pursuant to NPC regulations, not what the Greek Life office is requiring. I am interpreting this to indicate that the campus IS open for another NPC chapter. Paging TLLK for her knowledge about the campus. Thanks(Go Gauchos!).

Personally I’d like to see Chi Omega and Tri Delta return. I have great memories of Chi O as their facility was right next door to ours on El Colegio. So many fun things happened during recruitment. I think Tri Delta may have used that same facility; they were after my time on campus.
So many sororities have closed at UCSB; when I was there, in the eighties, girls would drop out if they did not get their first choice. Housing is so expensive in IV, it would be difficult for a new chapter to get established.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-19-2024, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncegreek View Post
So many sororities have closed at UCSB; when I was there, in the eighties, girls would drop out if they did not get their first choice. Housing is so expensive in IV, it would be difficult for a new chapter to get established.
Man that stinks. I hate when PNMs have the mentality of "oh if I don't get ABC, then I'll drop."

On the other hand, I wrote in the off topic thread that schools that I never thought would expand did, so maybe if any of the sororities still own their houses/land (which I have no idea,)it could maybe lead to something.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 04-19-2024, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Per Our National website under the "Start a Chapter" tab: Upcoming expansions.
https://www.phikappatau.org/expansion

Cal-State Fullerton (Gamma Omicron) Fall 2024
Texas A&M (Epsilon Alpha) Fall 2024
University of Pittsburgh Spring 2025
Oregon State University (Alpha Zeta) Fall 2025
Old 04-19-2024, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Look at the rec
Old 04-19-2024, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Look at the recruitment thread; many strong national sorority chapters have closed at UCSB. Also, building new housing in Santa Barbara is almost impossible. There was (back in the day) no real pressure to go greek. I think about 500 girls rushed when I did, but only about 300 ended up joining. My own chapter, Alpha Gamma Delta, only lasted a few years. If PNMs were not invited back to perceived top chapters, they simply withdrew.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncegreek View Post
Housing is so expensive in IV, it would be difficult for a new chapter to get established.
This is part of what's surprising to me. When housing is expensive and hard to find, and has to be signed a year in advance, I would expect PNMs to join sororities just to know they'll have somewhere convenient to live as sophomores. I've known students who joined at Michigan in part for this reason.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I know, right!? Tri-Delta had a beautiful house, as did most of the other closed chapters a UCSB. I know people who went greek in part for housing at UC Berkeley, but UCSB is different I guess. UCLA too. Tri-Delta and Alpha Gamma Delta have both closed there in recent. years. One of my sons went to UCLA, and housing is an even worse nightmare.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

A small update on the South Carolina sorority expansion: the presentations happened this past week. The goal is to bring the new chapter on in 2025. It’ll be the usual approach of participating in the first round of recruitment then backing out and having a separate process afterwards.

Since 1888

Old 04-20-2024, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I keep forgetting the quick reply button leads to a double post. Disregard.

Since 1888

Last edited by Cookiez17; 04-20-2024 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Double post via quick reply
Old 04-21-2024, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I read the asterisked statement in the original post from UCSB which was at the bottom of the detailed post about expansion. It says that NPC expansion is pursuant to NPC regulations, not what the Greek Life office is requiring. I am interpreting this to indicate that the campus IS open for another NPC chapter. Paging TLLK for her knowledge about the campus. Thanks(Go Gauchos!).

Personally I’d like to see Chi Omega and Tri Delta return. I have great memories of Chi O as their facility was right next door to ours on El Colegio. So many fun things happened during recruitment. I think Tri Delta may have used that same facility; they were after my time on campus.
Sadly, Chi Omega sold our chapter house at UCSB several years ago. Pretty sure Tri Delta was leasing the Chi O House until they closed.

If Chi O is going to recolonize a chapter on the west coast, where it would be a substantial cost, they may have more interest in when USC expands. I was there last weekend (subbing for 1 of the house directors) and all chapters are doing good except one is lower in numbers. Chi O would not want to come back unless all chapters are healthy.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:11 AM

This past weekend, Sigma Chi reinstalled the chapter at Rutgers University-New Brunswick(NJ). Congratulations to the new members.

Alpha Kappa Lambda has closed their chapter at Rutgers University-New Brunswick(NJ) due to low membership numbers.

Sigma Phi Epsilon has closed their chapter at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro. Closure is due to RMF.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-22-2024, 08:11 AM

This past weekend, Sigma Chi reinstalled the chapter at Rutgers University-New Brunswick(NJ). Congratulations to the new members.

Alpha Kappa Lambda has closed their chapter at Rutgers University-New Brunswick(NJ) due to low membership numbers.

Sigma Phi Epsilon has closed their chapter at the University of North Carolina-Greensboro. Closure is due to RMF.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-22-2024, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Unfortunately I don't have much information regarding sororities the at UCSB. My daughter who was not involved in Greek Life graduated in 2022. Any information that I was receiving was through the Gaucho Parents Facebook group that I no longer belong to. Sorry.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma will be returning to the University of Miami in the spring of 2025. The Beta Tau chapter will be reestablished on campus.

Announcement from Executive Offices.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6L8OBUO...en&img_index=1
Old 04-25-2024, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
DG was closed at Miami in 2018 for hazing and alcohol violations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Delta Gamma will be returning to the University of Miami in the spring of 2025. The Beta Tau chapter will be reestablished on campus.

Announcement from Executive Offices.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6L8OBUO...en&img_index=1