GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,593
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, Holographicalt
» Online Users: 2,475
0 members and 2,475 guests
No Members online

Old 01-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBlueGold View Post
I'm glad it happened though. I think everyone needs to lose a "rush-crush". It's humbling, and it gives you a better idea of what really doesn't work.
On the other side of that coin, we had a girl who we thought was a "sure thing" - she ate lunch with us every day, was roommates with a sister who was a legacy, and it went so far as we were letting her wear a jacket (eeeeek) and sisters were actually feuding over who would be her big (me included).

Bid day came around aaaaaand...she was at the "rich pretty popular" house instead of ours. How on earth she got time to make an impression with them, I'll never know, but I will NEVER forget walking into the house on bid day and my big pulling me behind a closed door to tell me.

So yes, it was humbling to lose her, and we learned 2 very big lessons:
1) There is no such thing as a sure thing.
2) Don't let ANY rushee take too ginormous of chunk of your time/heart.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBlueGold View Post
I'm glad it happened though. I think everyone needs to lose a "rush-crush". It's humbling, and it gives you a better idea of what really doesn't work.
This translates to NPC recruitment as well. My first recruitment as an active I had a huge rush crush on one girl. She was from my home town, was cute, and seemed generally happy. However, when someone else was preffing her and asked me more about her, I realized that I didn't know anything more about her than where she was from and the common things from being a Pittsburgh girl. It was actually pretty embarrassing.

It was at that point that I realized I was wearing "rose colored glasses." She joined another chapter. Initially, I was devastated, but later I was able to realize that she was truly in the right fit for her.

I disagree that "everyone needs to lose a rush crush" because it isn't a fun process and it means that your objectivity was a bit skewed in the first place. However, if you do, it isn't the end of the world, and it definitely gives you a different perspective.

ETA: I co-sign the things 33girl said!