GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,599
Threads: 115,517
Welcome to our newest member, et23
» Online Users: 1,183
4 members and 1,179 guests
aidannrz4564, JayhawkAOII, Sarak24034
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

How exactly does sophmore "disadvantage" hapen?

Hi!
I am new to these boards but have a few questions about how rush works. When I rushed things didn't work out well - I rushed as a sophmore and attended prefs at my two favorite houses - would've been super psyched to join either one. But I didn't get a bid to either which made me really sad of course. I assume I was at the end of both bid lists (the house I put second claims they got their whole first list so that's why I am led to believe I was at the end of both).

To be honest I can believe I was in the bottom half of the list for both houses - I'm chatty, good grades, attractive enough but not "oh, she's sooo cute", involved in stuff but not any bigtime campus leader, etc. But people told me it was because I was a sophmore (not people in the houses per se but others). I'm not so sure. Now I understand why a sorority would not want a bunch of sophmores especially at a school that has a ton of wonderful freshman available (mine did - in fact they brough in 3 new sororities the next year and just about every house was over ceiling still, even 1 of the new ones). So how does this sophomore issue actually work - is it a) that members automatically think a bit less of you b/c they wonder why you didn't pledge last year or b) they are reminded/cautioned when it is time to vote that you are a sophmore so they should be more strict on your vote/rank or c) the bid lists are actually adjusted before they are turned in to make sure not too many sophomores are in the top of the list. I know this is so nit-picky but I really want to know b/c I am still hurting over the whole thing! When I read stuff about schools where a girl is guaranteed one of her pref houses it makes me want to cry b/c I would've been so happy at either one!!
Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-08-2004, 02:42 PM

Where in the world do you go to school that 3 sororities were brought on in one year???
Old 12-08-2004, 03:00 PM
ADPiZXalum

I know that sophomores have a hard time pledging because sororities want girls who are going to be members for four years, they want the most out of their membership. They might have questions about why you didn't pledge the year before, and in cases where girls did rush as freshmen and got cut, most sororities have a good idea of why. If it was because of grades, well no one wants to take grade risks..........if it was because you got cut because you did too much partying, well no one wants a bad rep, even if the girl has changed.............etc. At Baylor the sophomores were counted with the freshman quota. Juniors were counted seperately, so while they wouldn't have four full yeras of membership, they don't count in their regular quota, if that makes any sense. There are lots of reasons why it might not have worked out for you. You could have very well been at the TOP of one of the second lists, but the bottom line is that if they fill up their pledge class with their first list, the girls on the second list don't get in. That might've been the case. Another thing, if you were on a group's second list, no matter where you are, and you put them as your first choice, they could say hold and hold on to you until they do or do not get their first list filled. Even if your second choice group had you on their first list, you put the first choice group first so they get dibs. If they fill up and release you and your second choice has alredy filled up their class, you again don't get anything. I hate that scenario..........it makes me mad. There really are a million different reasons why you might not have been bid matched. I doubt it had anything to do with your personality if you had a great feeling about and preffed two groups. Better luck next time.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:06 PM

Sophomores are often at a disadvantage because they will only be active sisters for 3 years rather than 4. But you'll never know why you weren't higher on the bid lists - membership selection is privileged information.

3 sororities came on in one year?? Wow. Did you look into them? Sororities and fraternities usually look for new members from all four years for their colonies.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

3 sororities in one year? and what school would this be at?

That's unheard of. It certainly would've been discussed here on GC!
Old 12-08-2004, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Each chapter's method of selection really just depends on the chapter's needs and wants in their new member class-- something that changes year to year and varies with each chapter of each sorority. No one here can give you a definitive answer, and no member of the chapters that cut you really have a final answer, either. As hard as it is, you can't take it personally. Life goes on.

The best advice I can offer is to take some time and get over your disappointment. Sorority life isn't for everyone at every school. If you'd like, try informal recruitment. Give it one more go.

But... Whether or not sorority life is in the cards for you, I do recommend you get involved on campus. There are tons of great activities and "sisterhoods" elsewhere within your university-- campus ministries, intramural sports, student government, news paper, Greek service clubs, honor societies, pre-professional clubs and more.

Get out there! You will find your niche!
Old 12-08-2004, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info!

Hi!
Thanks to those who replied. It seems more folks are interested in which school would introduce 3 new houses in a year! To be discreet I won't say which but I will say a) I checked again and it was acutally 5 new houses over 3 years so I was a bit off and b) I am old :-) This was actually an issue I am re-visiting b/c I have some neices who want to rush and are asking me about my experiences.

I guess the type of info I wanted to know - more about how the invite lists and bid lists are created and how that might specifically impact a sophmore might be privileged info (e.g, when i was asking if there is actually a manipulation of the list to account for class year or a rank deduction or something similar). Again, sorry if I am prying too much into privileged info. It just seemed vague to hear "b/c you're a sophmore" when I certainly knew of many sophmores that pleged and also b/c I was invited to prefs.

In terms of the other/new houses I did explore it but didn't find one I felt I fit with. I'm not too picky - there were easily 10 houses on my campus I would've joined, some of which were less "selective" than the ones I went to prefs at. What's funny is that several of the less "selective" ones that I liked cut me before prefs! Thanks again for the ideas. Guess it's never a simple answer. I'll chalk it up to the fact that I wasn't a "shoe-in" / didn't "walk on water" and the numbers were very tough at my school - especially for a sophmore. thanks again!
Old 12-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Unregistered-

Re: Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally posted by NYCbelle
Hi!
Thanks to those who replied. It seems more folks are interested in which school would introduce 3 new houses in a year! To be discreet I won't say which but I will say a) I checked again and it was acutally 5 new houses over 3 years so I was a bit off and b) I am old :-)
I still don't believe you.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:35 PM

Re: Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally posted by NYCbelle
Hi!
Thanks to those who replied. It seems more folks are interested in which school would introduce 3 new houses in a year! To be discreet I won't say which but I will say a) I checked again and it was acutally 5 new houses over 3 years so I was a bit off and b) I am old :-)
That's still pretty impressive. What school? If you're long out of college it really shouldn't make any difference. you have us all on pins & needles!!!!

Last edited by 33girl; 12-08-2004 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Membership selection is ritual. Ritual is private and not to be discussed. Therefore, you will not get the answers you are seeking. Please let the subject drop
Old 12-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
Membership selection is ritual. Ritual is private and not to be discussed. Therefore, you will not get the answers you are seeking. Please let the subject drop
Thank you, Dani.

My Alpha Gam sisters know that anything regarding membership selection/Ritual is NEVER to be discussed online.

I know it's safe to assume that many of us share that belief.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks and so long!

As I mentioned, sorry if I asked priviliged or secret information. Since I am not in a greek organization I am not aware of what is or is not secret. Please keep that in mind when reading posts - novices are probably not trying to pry or offend! I'll bet most people are trying to be polite. I won't post again. Good luck to all!
Old 12-08-2004, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Re: Re: Thanks for the info!

I thought it was NYU until she wrote 10 houses. They had a few sororities colonize in a short period of time. Now I wonder which school as well.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
This thread has strayed off-topic and speculation on truthfulness, etc. shouldn't be discussed here, either.

Since the discussion seems to have killed itself, I'm going to lock this down before things get out of hand.
Closed Thread