GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,593
Threads: 115,516
Welcome to our newest member, Holographicalt
» Online Users: 1,640
0 members and 1,640 guests
No Members online

Old 03-16-2007, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Federal Laws concerning Greeks.

There has been over the past several years Legislation that has been proposed on worked on by a group of Greek Organizatins to get passed.

This concerns the donations by Alumni for the Fraternity at both the National and Local level to be tax deductable for not just educational purpose but for naything such as house improvements or building new houses.

This would be a total boon for Greeks in expansion, renovations and needed items such as fire supression systems.

I have taken this from what has been sent out by Alpha Gamma Delta who has been in the fore front working with a group including LXA in trying to get this passed.

Please read and do what you can!

__________________________________________________ _____________

The Fraternity is seeking your assistance in participating in two efforts which will support the Collegiate Housing and Infrastructure Act (CHIA), legislation seeking support in the United States Congress.
• A national grassroots congressional letter writing campaign
• A congressional “Phone March” on Wednesday, March 21
Passage of this legislation will increase the ability of college fraternities and sororities to improve their student housing by redefining existing tax law to allow tax-deductible charitable contributions made to national or local 501(c)(3) organizations (such as the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation) to be used at the chapter level for a broad range of purposes, including making safety and infrastructure improvements to our chapter houses. Information about the Collegiate Housing and Infrastructure Act may be found at the Fraternal Caucus website, www.fraternalcaucus.com.
Participating in either of these efforts is simple. To send a letter to your United States Senator or Representative, simply go to http://www.bipac.net/alert.asp?g=fc and follow the prompts.
To participate in the March 21 Phone March, go to the Alpha Gamma Delta website and click on the Greek Legislative Action link on the home page.
Thanks for your support of these efforts. Passage of CHIA would make a real difference in the future of Greek housing and Alpha Gamma Delta. It would open up a range of new possibilities for us to improve the experience we provide to our members. Your participation in the letter-writing campaign and / or the Phone March will increase the broad showing of support for it. There is some urgency to this request, as the Phone March is next Wednesday, March 21, and we want a large number of letters to be received in advance of the Greek visits to Capitol Hill in Washington D.C. on April 17. Alpha Gamma Delta will be represented during these visits by four members, two alumnae and two collegians. Your letters will make these visits to Capitol Hill more effective. We ask you to submit your letters by March 31.

__________________________________________________ ______________-

Your help is needed now!

In ZAX,

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 03-16-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're interested in learning more about these efforts (the Collegeiate Housing and Infrastructure Act-H.R. 643/S.638), send me a PM.

The Assn. of Fraternity Advisors (AFA) has asked their membership to send personalized notes to members of Congress...their e-mail has a link that synchs up w/your particular ZIP Code so that your correspondence goes directly to your senators & congressional leaders.

In ZAX,
BF

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 03-17-2007, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

GreekPAC

There is an organization in Washington called The Fraternity and Soroity Political Action Committee (GreekPAC) (http://www.fraternalcaucus.org/pac). It was formed to advocate in behalf of matters of interest to the Fraternity and Sorority community, including the Infrastructure Act. It is headed by Kevin O'Neill, who is a Lambda Chi, former Director of Chapter Services, and now an attorney with Patton Boggs in DC. As another evidence of our leadership in the Greek world, Lambda Chi Alpha has the largest number of significant donors to this PAC. To keep the Greek efforts unified, if you have interest in these matters you may want to do so through financial participation in this organization.

Lynn Chipperfield
Old 03-17-2007, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HONKY660
I work for Congressman Silverstre Reyes's distric office in El Paso. I can pass word to him, next time he's back in the office.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Lynn, thank you for the input.

The links that I am Lynn put on the post are easy to follow as I did as soon as I got it. It automatically brings up the Represenatives from each of your areas.

Just think of the money each of you have donated to help and aid your Fraternity and Zeta. This while was from the love and goodness, it was not tax deductable.

If and I say if, this could be passed, then it would become tax deductable!

How important is this to each and everyone of us? Extremely important for LXA, our Zetas and all Greek members.

Once again, I implore you to take just a little time and check these links and post on them for you local Representatives.

Please pass this along via your Zeta email listings to all of the Brothers.

Then ask them to also pass this along to their friends.

We can make a difference!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-23-2007, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh great... Honky is working for Reyes? I'm voting for the other guy!

Hey Honky, let me know if you want tickets to the next KLAQ premiere. I'm pretty sure you'll be more quiet than the active chapter was when they came to Wicker Man and brought their muffin girlfriends. Granted, it was a lousy flick.
Univ. of Texas at El Paso (UTEP)